Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Leicester goal

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
A bit surprised by the witch hunt on this.

Burn was tasked with attacking the ball and Walton would have had to come a long way to claim that cross. .

A long way!? Alright Christian.

3CC25E00-4E21-485B-9C6C-B4F6AF5D9167.jpeg

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
showed our naivety again ....plain and simple , need to learn from it this time . 30 k a week should be sufficient for you to do your job for 90 minutes once or twice a week.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I’m not picking on any individuals, most others are covering that.

I’m simply saying that as a collective, an elite team should be fully aware at all times of where opponents are, at a set piece.

I don’t go by the unlucky, once in a career or cunning Foxes excuses.

An EPL team of elite players simply should’ve been alert to the presence of Iheanacho. No ifs and buts.

Embarrassing.

I'm not saying it couldnt have been better but "should be fully aware at all times" and "embarrasing".. sure, it never happens in a football game though. In every single game there is someone losing his player on a set piece, sometimes it results in something, most often not. Personally I think, of all the goals Brighton conceded from set pieces this season, this is the one that is hardest to prevent as the players had four or five seconds to get aware of their surroundings/communicate/react, compared to the 20-30+ seconds you usually have.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Haha great picture bit late to come out after he has headed the ball, you really wanted him to catch it before it got there.

Behave. Look at it - He's taken half a step forward. Literally TWO more steps and he collects it as easy as you like.

A8707D3D-FB3A-436E-8A82-84949D3D61D1.jpeg

Attachments

• 3C4D58E8-2E63-4269-8B67-8FA670A74F16.jpeg
    3C4D58E8-2E63-4269-8B67-8FA670A74F16.jpeg
    72.4 KB · Views: 95

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm not saying it couldnt have been better but "should be fully aware at all times" and "embarrasing".. sure, it never happens in a football game though. In every single game there is someone losing his player on a set piece, sometimes it results in something, most often not. Personally I think, of all the goals Brighton conceded from set pieces this season, this is the one that is hardest to prevent as the players had four or five seconds to get aware of their surroundings/communicate/react, compared to the 20-30+ seconds you usually have.

They’re professionals, coached to the hilt with a wealth of experience and a will to win.

It’s fair game as supporters to assess collective and individual gaffs.

Freekicks and corners are quite often taken quickly, it’s certainly something players would be used to and coached on.

This was a collective gaff by the team. I’m sure today that they’ll be determined that this doesn’t happen again.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
My two-penneth worth !
The whole defence is to blame here.. no-one sees Iheanacho, No-one. The fact that Burn ends up closest doesn't make him more culpable than everyone else who also just didnt see him. Had Leicester not taken a quick corner, he would have been picked up, but the quick corner brings everyone's attention to the ball and the targets they see edge of the box. It is good thinking by Leicester especially at that time of the game, but, the team take accountability for an unmarked man. It is poor defending because it could have been stopped easily!
The cross - Whilst I kind of understand the comparison to Sanchez claiming an out-swinging corner, all of the circumstances above immediately make it "different" but add to that the fact that cross is hit from much closer to the goal makes it much more difficult to see, adjust and claim than a traditional corner on a traditional trajectory. Didn't feel at the time that Walton could have claimed it and can understand why he didn't

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Text book ninja attack from lheanacho.
The only way he would be discovered is if one of our players was actively looking for him but sadly none of them were.
Can't blame Dan burn for that he was doing his job and watching the players arriving into the box.
I think Walton will learn the most from this goal tbh.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
My two-penneth worth !
The whole defence is to blame here.. no-one sees Iheanacho, No-one. The fact that Burn ends up closest doesn't make him more culpable than everyone else who also just didnt see him. Had Leicester not taken a quick corner, he would have been picked up, but the quick corner brings everyone's attention to the ball and the targets they see edge of the box. It is good thinking by Leicester especially at that time of the game, but, the team take accountability for an unmarked man. It is poor defending because it could have been stopped easily!
The cross - Whilst I kind of understand the comparison to Sanchez claiming an out-swinging corner, all of the circumstances above immediately make it "different" but add to that the fact that cross is hit from much closer to the goal makes it much more difficult to see, adjust and claim than a traditional corner on a traditional trajectory. Didn't feel at the time that Walton could have claimed it and can understand why he didn't

Yes I agree the quick corner focussed everyone's attention on the ball rather than have a second or two to scan about so credit must be given to the liescter corner taker.
But I do think Walton as the keeper should be aware of what's going on but I'm sure he will gain a valuable bit of experience from this goal

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
When a team gets a corner in the last 30 seconds of a game why would everyone expect them to take their time ? Makes no sense. If they do that the final whistle will blow and they will have lost their chance. Contrary to the assertion in the OP Leicester’s quick corner was entirely rational. No excuses.

Why? Because apart from that Liverpool champions league goal I have never seen that done before. Certainly can't recall it against Brighton in any game I've watched.

I will admit to having also switched off that moment and turned my attention away waiting for them to set up for a corner, next thing I see the ball in the net :lol:

Well done Leicester, top improvising. They didn't deserve to beat us but a piece of quick thinking like that, have to congratulate them.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Didnt watch the game yesterday as I was out drinking, but seen the goal and think there's some harsh reactions against both Walton & Burn.

First of all it should be said that when a team gets a corner in the last 30 seconds of a game, everyone expect them to take their time and move up players. Its really clever from Leicester to take it quickly so you have to give them some credit for that.

View attachment 133675
On this picture you can even see how even some of the Leicester players are surprised. One has his back turned against the goal, another one is looking to see if the midfielders/defenders are coming forward.

Iheanacho is one of the few who is aware of the situation. He knows that no one has spotted him, not a single player turned their head in that direction and everyone is simply unaware of his existence.

View attachment 133676

BDB is the first Albion player who stops watching the ball and actually looks what is around him. The first thing he sees is their no 33 unmarked in a dangerous position.

View attachment 133677

BDB takes a few steps forward to challenge the unmarked player when he discovers that the cross is actually coming in behind him.

When he goes up to try to head the ball away, he still doesnt know about Iheanacho and just like the rest of the players he gets surprised that there's a Leicester player there.

So what to make out of it? Of course the players should know where there opponents are but none of them are because everyone is ball watching. Its a collective mistake. BDB is doing the right thing to try to challenge the unmarked player (33) he discovers, Walton is not optimally placed but considering he has no knowledge of what is on the far post he probably sees little reason to come out for the ball. Its hard to point out these more than others when there are eleven sets of eyes on the pitch.

Watching the area is everyones responsibility, BDB just happens to be closest and Walton just happens to be the goalkeeper, but they are not "less aware" or "less awake" than anyone else

For me the goal is a brilliant move from Leicester. In the best of worlds the players would gather themselves in the 3 seconds they have, but its difficult to expect it when in a similar situation they 99 out of 100 times got 20-30 seconds to position themselves and scan the area. No reason for witch hunts though - its a brilliant move from Tielemans, Iheanacho and the corner taker, showing why Leicester is one of the best teams in the country.

Shit happens. Better luck against Villa.

Heard it all now. Players surprised there was a player there

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
That's not a long way.

[tweet]1357089082808107012[/tweet]

That's a long way.

Bingo.

My immediate impression last night was Sanchez would have claimed that ball in, exactly as you quoted above, as he did the Liverpool game.

It’s even possible psychologically the defence instinctively left it for the keeper. Poor keeping IMO.

I do question why we were resting Sanchez to begin with, But mistakes happen. Move on to the Villa game.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Swansman can you also tell me why we took 3 first team forwards all the way to Leicester and left all 3 on the bench when the game was at 0-0 with 10 minutes left ?

This.

I thought Leicester looked the better side when they made their triple substitution, especially with Maddison coming on.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
This.

I thought Leicester looked the better side when they made their triple substitution, especially with Maddison coming on.

I think GP was waiting for extra time, with penalty taking considerations kicking in, more subs would have appeared.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Why? Because apart from that Liverpool champions league goal I have never seen that done before. Certainly can't recall it against Brighton in any game I've watched.

I will admit to having also switched off that moment and turned my attention away waiting for them to set up for a corner, next thing I see the ball in the net :lol:

Well done Leicester, top improvising. They didn't deserve to beat us but a piece of quick thinking like that, have to congratulate them.

Perhaps you haven’t seen it done before because usually defending teams don’t switch off when the ball is set up for a corner. Leicester spotted that our team had better things to be doing and took advantage.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The real worry for me is that Albion's chances of getting to Wembley in a cup run are virtually zero if we continue to insist on playing our reserve keeper.

I maintain that Sanchez would have claimed that last-minute corner, and had he done so we could have gone through. He came a lot further to an outswinging corner to take the ball off the head of Mo Salah in the last minute of that Liverpool match (8 yards off his line).

Steele almost threw it away in the previous round vs Newport too.

On the thread where we picked our teams for this match I was in the minority opting to start Sanchez. Why did so many pick Walton? He is clearly an inferior keeper and Leicester are a quality side.

I grew up in the 70s when Ray Clemence started 336 matches in a row for Liverpool from 72-78. His understudy - Ogrizovic - got 5 appearance in 5 years. Walton and Steele combined have played 6 times for the Albion just this season, and with 2 other keepers ahead of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here