Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Leicester goal

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
In fairness, this is a thread specifically about the goal.

Plenty of positive assessment of other areas, on the ratings and match threads.

Fair enough, I haven’t read much in the match day thread after kickoff. I have seen a small number of frankly mind boggling player ratings though :smile:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Speculation. They take a quick corner as there are seconds left.

maybe, point is they can see player is there, while Burn and the rest of the squad are ball watching. a little look round from Burn would have probably been enough to at least challenge. im sure he wont be happy about it.

the comment is less about the goal than the analysis that seems to absolve everyone. the defense is static on the 6yrd line, someone is unmarked around the penalty spot and the scorer unseen behind them. thats not a good day at the office and likely could have occured any point in the game with the defense setup like that for corners.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
As I said on the match thread, it’ll go down as a set piece goal but it really wasn’t as far as I’m concerned. Quick thinking etc. Our defending of normal set pieces has been so so much better the last 6 or 7 games - I don’t feel it’s an issue now.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Didnt watch the game yesterday as I was out drinking, but seen the goal and think there's some harsh reactions against both Walton & Burn.

First of all it should be said that when a team gets a corner in the last 30 seconds of a game, everyone expect them to take their time and move up players. Its really clever from Leicester to take it quickly so you have to give them some credit for that.

View attachment 133675
On this picture you can even see how even some of the Leicester players are surprised. One has his back turned against the goal, another one is looking to see if the midfielders/defenders are coming forward.

Iheanacho is one of the few who is aware of the situation. He knows that no one has spotted him, not a single player turned their head in that direction and everyone is simply unaware of his existence.

View attachment 133676

BDB is the first Albion player who stops watching the ball and actually looks what is around him. The first thing he sees is their no 33 unmarked in a dangerous position.

View attachment 133677

BDB takes a few steps forward to challenge the unmarked player when he discovers that the cross is actually coming in behind him.

When he goes up to try to head the ball away, he still doesnt know about Iheanacho and just like the rest of the players he gets surprised that there's a Leicester player there.

So what to make out of it? Of course the players should know where there opponents are but none of them are because everyone is ball watching. Its a collective mistake. BDB is doing the right thing to try to challenge the unmarked player (33) he discovers, Walton is not optimally placed but considering he has no knowledge of what is on the far post he probably sees little reason to come out for the ball. Its hard to point out these more than others when there are eleven sets of eyes on the pitch.

Watching the area is everyones responsibility, BDB just happens to be closest and Walton just happens to be the goalkeeper, but they are not "less aware" or "less awake" than anyone else

For me the goal is a brilliant move from Leicester. In the best of worlds the players would gather themselves in the 3 seconds they have, but its difficult to expect it when in a similar situation they 99 out of 100 times got 20-30 seconds to position themselves and scan the area. No reason for witch hunts though - its a brilliant move from Tielemans, Iheanacho and the corner taker, showing why Leicester is one of the best teams in the country.

Shit happens. Better luck against Villa.

I think you're trying a bit too hard to be controversial with your OP and provoke a response/argument. It's not "a brilliant move by Leicester" rather some commendable quick thinking based on seeing a mess of a defensive set up and a player in acres of space. However, I do agree with you and Cruyff that "football is a game of mistakes. Whoever makes the fewest mistakes wins" so there's no need to go overboard about it. Dan Burn at first seems to blame but, as pointed out many times by others, it's a collective feck up, to be learnt from and hopefully avoided in future. I enjoyed the game and thought we were worthy winners but still our usual Albion-ness meant we went away empty handed.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think you're trying a bit too hard to be controversial with your OP and provoke a response/argument. It's not "a brilliant move by Leicester" rather some commendable quick thinking based on seeing a mess of a defensive set up and a player in acres of space. However, I do agree with you and Cruyff that "football is a game of mistakes. Whoever makes the fewest mistakes wins" so there's no need to go overboard about it. Dan Burn at first seems to blame but, as pointed out many times by others, it's a collective feck up, to be learnt from and hopefully avoided in future. I enjoyed the game and thought we were worthy winners but still our usual Albion-ness meant we went away empty handed.

To say that Leicester did well and it was no one in particulars fault is not very controversial if you ask me but each to their own. As for "provoking responses/arguments"... its one of those things that you do one internet forums.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
A bit surprised by the witch hunt on this.

Burn was tasked with attacking the ball and Walton would have had to come a long way to claim that cross. Clearly no one was picking up the far post and too many players instinctively reacted to the threat of a short corner.

Two more minutes and I am pretty sure we would have seen more substitutions and some clearer instructions as to roles.

Last night was a massive improvement over the league performance at Leicester. Sure they rested a few but they then bought them on. We had a really inexperienced team out there and failed to get properly organised in the last minute of a game to a quickly taken corner. It wasn't as if there were more experienced players available who could really have made a difference.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Bit reminiscent of George Paris hiding behind the goalie. If I stay here quietly, these nuggets will focus on what’s happening over there and I’ll get a freebie.
A disappointing end to what was an encouraging performance by our new players. Last bloody kick of the game! Grhhhhhhh!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
We aren’t the first this season and won’t be the last ....a Leicester goal against Chelsea last month

“Chelsea were sloppy in midfield, toothless in attack and soft in defence, falling asleep at a free-kick and a corner for Leicester's first”

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
We got an earlier warning how cute Leicester can be, when Maddison took a quick free quick and caught us out. It was only a few minutes before the fateful corner and we didn't heed the warning. We weren't prepared and I said to my son at the time that that was a wake up call and we needed to be switched on. We can all blame tiredness but we were unprofessional last night and paid a heavy price.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Combo of a lot of things IMO. Very quick thinking by them. Collective switching off by us. Lack of initiative by the central defenders as a group and Burn in particular. Innenacho was the CF why did not one of them at least not realize where he was and either marked him or told another player to. Keeper should also communicate better but he is not marking anyone.

Wanted to win but was dreading extra time. We are and continue to be a work in progress. This was another lesson and judging by some of the shouts at the end one which will have been addressed in the dressing room straight after the game...

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Those photos simply highlight astonishingly inept, comatose defending by a small army of Albion players.

A complete lack of awareness and communication.

What the photos are not really telling is that there's only about four seconds between the ball going out and the corner being taken. While in a best case scenario they get more done in those seconds, its actually not easy to get 100% awareness and communicate what you are aware of in just four seconds.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
It’s a bizarre goal.
10 players outfoxed all at once. All as hapless as each other imho.
I cannot think of another goal conceded in this way in decades watching football.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
IanNacho had acres of space and could have maintained an onside position along that line. And still scored easily.

Ian Nacho :bowdown:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What the photos are not really telling is that there's only about four seconds between the ball going out and the corner being taken. While in a best case scenario they get more done in those seconds, its actually not easy to get 100% awareness and communicate what you are aware of in just four seconds.

I’m not picking on any individuals, most others are covering that.

I’m simply saying that as a collective, an elite team should be fully aware at all times of where opponents are, at a set piece.

I don’t go by the unlucky, once in a career or cunning Foxes excuses.

An EPL team of elite players simply should’ve been alert to the presence of Iheanacho. No ifs and buts.

Embarrassing.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Swansman can you also tell me why we took 3 first team forwards all the way to Leicester and left all 3 on the bench when the game was at 0-0 with 10 minutes left ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here