Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Johnny-Come-Latelys

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
Why the title ‘ Jonny come lately’ ???

People have been leaving on 80 mins since. Day 1 at the Amex.

Personally I won’t leave until the final whistle but if people want to miss late goals that’s their business and not mine ( or anyone else’s )
Reminds me of when I was a kid .The year I think it was 1973 me mum dad brother go to Blackpool to see the lights go Friday come home Sunday . Saturday afternoon Blackpool are playing crystal palace mum goes shopping us 3 go to match we leave match at 430pm so we can get back to our guest house for evening meal at 5pm with mum.the score when we leave 1 1 got back at 450pm turn on black & white TV grandstand final score 31 tangerines gutted to miss 2 goals but very happy that mob got beat.happy times.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
I am referring to our rather exciting ability of snatching goals in the dying minutes of games. If memory serves me correctly we have secured points from the 85th minute onwards against the following teams : Brentford (A), Palace (A), West Ham (A), Southampton (A), Chelsea (A), Palace (H), Chelsea (H).

I can’t think of any other Premier League team that have constantly buggered up the early leavers’ day by having the temerity to score so late on. So, Mr.Potter and the boys, please continue in the same vein. It makes me, an Albion fan, so ecstatic. Really there is nothing better than a last gasp goal to take three points or snatch a draw to make it feel like a win. :albion2:

I think they put this up on TV as a stat during the Chelsea home game. I think Chelsea were top, but we were close.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing

Personally I won’t leave until the final whistle but if people want to miss late goals that’s their business and not mine ( or anyone else’s )

I had never left a game before the final whistle but since I agave up the coach as my primary means of transport due to costs it was becoming for the two of us as expensive as buying a third season ticket just to get to and from the ground, instead this season started using the free at the point of use train service which is great for getting to the ground when people travel is spread out over several hours but getting away at the end of games when almost everyone is going at the same time means if it’s a night game and the weather is poor I have to admit to have become a bad fan as at times I have slipped out early

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
5 of the 7 games listed were away games and Chelsea home the goal was middle of the game! Not seeing relevance of leaving early at Amex to this thread

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I just don't have the bladder to sit in the car park for an hour followed by another two on the road. Taking a leak, parked on a dark country lane, in the rain, isn't ideal. Especially after midnight, on a school day. The five minute head start saves me an hour. And I have learned to celebrate if I hear a roar from the Amex as I pootle off, and delight in the pleasure of others. It isn't effing rocket science.

However I appreciate that there are some who would rather boo me (boo! BOO!) as I leave than watch the last five minutes of the game. How very queer. :shrug:

Please let know how thread unfolds, I have to leave early as my lunch is ready:D

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Johnny-Come-Latelys

Those were the days!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Watford fans took it to another level last night. People leaving in the 74th minute after Narch's 2nd goal went in, when there was still 15 minutes added time to come. So they binned off over HALF AN HOUR of remaining time, in a crucial game, against a team who ship goals for fun. And its not like their ground is in a muddy field in the middle of nowhere like ours either.

Piss poor.

Although it was the right decision. :jester:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

The only time I have left early, other than years ago when I had a flight to catch, two goals were scored….by Bournemouth :smile:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I just don't have the bladder to sit in the car park for an hour followed by another two on the road. Taking a leak, parked on a dark country lane, in the rain, isn't ideal. Especially after midnight, on a school day. The five minute head start saves me an hour. And I have learned to celebrate if I hear a roar from the Amex as I pootle off, and delight in the pleasure of others. It isn't effing rocket science.

However I appreciate that there are some who would rather boo me (boo! BOO!) as I leave than watch the last five minutes of the game. How very queer. :shrug:

I hope you’re not one of those twats who starts leaving and then stops, blocking the guy whose letting you outs view, when Albion mount a dangerous attack. I’d more than boo you for that

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As it turned out. But leaving a game at the Amex when we're 2-0 down, with over half an hour still to play in a crucial relegation battle ? That type of "fan" can sod off. Permanently.

Yet we've all been that type of fans, at least once.

I had once left Berkshire before the ref blew the whistle at Elm Park.

I'll hazard a guess those leaving for footballing reasons started the evening full of 'just beat Norwich' optimism.
Then sat stewing for 15 minutes while they found a sparkie.

By which time the damage was done and a 'fook this' hissy fit followed.

Hardly grounds for doubting their fan status and hoping they never come back.

Those of us that stay occasionally get to gloat.
Those that leave don't - their loss not anybody else's is.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yet we've all been that type of fans, at least once.

I had once left Berkshire before the ref blew the whistle at Elm Park.

I'll hazard a guess those leaving for footballing reasons started the evening full of 'just beat Norwich' optimism.
Then sat stewing for 15 minutes while they found a sparkie.

By which time the damage was done and a 'fook this' hissy fit followed.

Hardly grounds for doubting their fan status and hoping they never come back.

Those of us that stay occasionally get to gloat.
Those that leave don't - their loss not anybody else's is.

I'm not going to claim superfan status by any means, but I have NEVER left with 30 minutes+ to play.

I tried to leave early at Palace in the 5-0 when we went 4-0 down, but the b@stards wouldn't let us out

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
I use the P and R and then drive back to the West Mids so getting away after the match IS the biggest pain about the Amex imo. However I can’t leave until the final whistle. I normally then leg it as quickly as I can to the bus queues and am just happy when the weather isn’t inclement. It makes such a difference though if we’ve won! On a good day I’m back about 8.30ish from those rare 3.00 kos

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Johnny come lately is the term used to mock, essentially, at least half the Amex crowd when we moved there.

The name for someone that regularly leaves early these days is simply…an idiot!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'm not going to claim superfan status by any means, but I have NEVER left with 30 minutes+ to play.

I tried to leave early at Palace in the 5-0 when we went 4-0 down, but the b@stards wouldn't let us out

I got out just in Nick time. I threw my Albion cover company mobile against the Arthur Waite stand in disgust only to turn round and five coppers looking on passively just nodded and said “pick that rubbish up and put in bin please”. Had to get new phone on Monday, fortunately had the original case so didn’t look like I’d smashed it, more just stopped working for some reason and got a new one given to me.

Fozzyboy

Jul 5, 2011
Worthing

I'm the same. I don't leave until the final whistle. It's quite amusing seeing some older chap in front of me every week getting really wound up when people leave early (Makes me look forward to the 80th min more). You are right, it's up to them what they do.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm the same. I don't leave until the final whistle. It's quite amusing seeing some older chap in front of me every week getting really wound up when people leave early (Makes me look forward to the 80th min more). You are right, it's up to them what they do.

None of the lovely people who sit near me in W-upper mock me for leaving early. After all these years any who are curious will have become aware of my disposition. If there was anyone (especially someone old) who was seriously exercised by it, I'd leave even earlier. If I inadvertently do something dangerous or foolish then I am more than grateful to be dug out. If I do something that is nobody's business but mine and someone objects, my reaction is '**** you, I'll do it even more, then'. :shrug:

That said....away at Wycombe some year ago: Steve Clarridge was playing for us, I think the score was 1-1 and we were pressing for a winner, and 5 minutes before the end, masses of our lot trooped out. I was completely baffled because it wasn't as if they were attempting to jump on a bus on the Old Shoreham Road in order to be first into the chippy at Southern Cross. Wycombe is ****ing miles from home. I stood there, shaking my head in disbelief. Perhaps I was missing something.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here