Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Jeremy Corbyn thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I would imagine because it explains the astonishing position in which the Labour Party finds itself whereby northern working class constituencies are under threat from UKIP.

Maybe. But the response quoted me and I didn't mention class or the Labour Party so I'm confused? Maybe someone is jumping to conclusions.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Maybe. But the response quoted me and I didn't mention class or the Labour Party so I'm confused? Maybe someone is jumping to conclusions.

I can't speak for him but to be fair you were making sweeping generalizations about Stoke and it's residents and it is by and large a typical Northern working class constituency. You may have left the Labour Party but many others who share your views are still members. The Labour Party may well be destined to scrap with UKIP for second place for many elections to come.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I can't speak for him but to be fair you were making sweeping generalizations about Stoke and it's residents and it is by and large a typical Northern working class constituency. You may have left the Labour Party but many others who share your views are still members. The Labour Party may well be destined to scrap with UKIP for second place for many elections to come.

From my experience it has some pretty nasty and homophobic residents. And I do think it's a dump. I didn't mention anything about their class though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Because the people of Stoke are overwhelmingly working class - that's a fact if you look at Census and opinion polling from the constituency.

Therefore you are bashing the working class

You're jumping to conclusions and making inferences which don't exist.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
From my experience it has some pretty nasty and homophobic residents. And I do think it's a dump. I didn't mention anything about their class though.

Staffordshire as well as Yorkshire then ? :wink: If that's your personal experience then fair enough although it seems unfair to generalize to an entire city.
You are of course not alone. The referendum has exposed many in Labour and Liberal Party circles who feel contempt for working class people and values. This often manifests itself in expressions of intellectual superiority. At some point the message will
sink in in your ex Party that contempt does not attract votes and that Labour will only earn power when it represents the views of its traditional supporters.

Sadly most of the new membership have never knocked a door in the name of the Labour party.

Blimey give em a chance.

We had record canvass in the East Brighton by election recently - that was due to new members

This will probably come back and bite me on the backside but I think Labour will hold on in Stoke. Everyone complained when Labour used to parachute candidates in but UKIP have done exactly the same, although at least Nuttall has put himself forward for a by-election unlike Farage.

It is likely to be close and UKIP don't have the ground game to get the vote out, plus I suspect a lot of Leave voters will stay at home.

Not quite so sure about Copeland though.

Corbyn hating journo John Rentoul punting that both will stay Labour

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Corbyn hating journo John Rentoul punting that both will stay Labour

Hope so, I have a fiver on each that Labour will win! Copeland has a threatened hospital closure so if they can keep the campaign on that they should be ok.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
You're jumping to conclusions and making inferences which don't exist.

I've literally presented an argument with facts and you brush them aside, you sure you aren't a parody of Trump on here?

You insulted your comrades , nice solidarity. With intellectuals thinking their lifestyle is better than that of the people of Stoke it's no wonder a working class uprising took place on June 23rd last year

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've literally presented an argument with facts and you brush them aside, you sure you aren't a parody of Trump on here?

You insulted your comrades , nice solidarity. With intellectuals thinking their lifestyle is better than that of the people of Stoke it's no wonder a working class uprising took place on June 23rd last year

You have stated a fact, I agree. But it has no relevance to what I posted. There's a few things I don't like in like; does it mean I'm bashing the type of people who predominantly pertain to it? No it doesn't. And know you're going on about intellectuals and their lifestyles. All this from a simple assertion which made no reference to the class of anyone. I to could jump to conclusions about shit stirring.

Let me qualify that - most of the membership have never knocked on a door for the Labour party.

Yep the existing members need to make the Labour Party more attractive and inclusive so more will get involved. Volunteering to give up what free time you have to assist a political party is not an easy or natural thing for many.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Yep the existing members need to make the Labour Party more attractive and inclusive so more will get involved. Volunteering to give up what free time you have to assist a political party is not an easy or natural thing for many.

Can only speak for my CLP but we have held new member events and every new member gets a personal greeting from the membership secretary.

We got some very good activists out of the first wave of new joiners in 2015 for the first leadership election but none from those who joined on the back of the second one last year. In fact we are getting a steady stream leaving.

Some members just aren't interested in local campaigning and some are more Corbyn supporters than Labour supporters.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Can only speak for my CLP but we have held new member events and every new member gets a personal greeting from the membership secretary.

We got some very good activists out of the first wave of new joiners in 2015 for the first leadership election but none from those who joined on the back of the second one last year. In fact we are getting a steady stream leaving.

Some members just aren't interested in local campaigning and some are more Corbyn supporters than Labour supporters.

Am I right in thinking that quite a few people are leaving the Labour Party and the leave process is a little complicated?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
This will probably come back and bite me on the backside but I think Labour will hold on in Stoke. Everyone complained when Labour used to parachute candidates in but UKIP have done exactly the same, although at least Nuttall has put himself forward for a by-election unlike Farage.

It is likely to be close and UKIP don't have the ground game to get the vote out, plus I suspect a lot of Leave voters will stay at home.

Not quite so sure about Copeland though.

Nice bloke.

Sneering Corbyn cheerleader Paul Mason has branded UKIP voters “toe-rags” who would “nick your bike”. Talking specifically about the Stoke by-election, Mason, flanked by the Green Party’s Sian Berry and Guardian columnist Zoe Williams, offers this contemptuous analysis of first-time voters who consider backing UKIP:

“They’re not working class Tories… most of the UKIP people are either people who haven’t voted or have flipped in a radical way from Labour. They are toe-rags, basically. They are the bloke who nicks your bike.”
Arousing nervous laughter from his audience, Mason makes clear he is not joking:

“No, seriously, that’s who it is, it’s the bloke who does all the anti-social things.“
Mason made the comments at a Novara Media event in trendy Hackney last week. He also told the audience he would be going up to Stoke to campaign for Labour. Sure this will go down well on the doorstep…

UPDATE: UKIP has responded to Mason’s diatribe. The party’s Media Spokesman Patrick O’Flynn said:

“Paul Mason has lifted the lid on what the radical left think about long time Labour voters who have lost faith with that party and moved across to UKIP. He thinks they are “toe-rags”, presumably for feeling a sense of patriotism, for feeling concerned about open door immigration and for supporting Brexit.

“Any voters who care about these issues but were pondering whether to still vote Labour have their answer: Mr Mason and the radical metropolitan left think they are scum. We in UKIP understand and share their concerns and will always treat them with respect.”

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Am I right in thinking that quite a few people are leaving the Labour Party and the leave process is a little complicated?

Stop your direct debit and mail labourmembership@labour.org.uk to tell them. Couldn't be much easier. You'll get a long email back explaining their current position, which if anything backed up my decision to leave, and details on how to rejoin but it states your resignation has been processed and you're out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Nice bloke.

Sneering Corbyn cheerleader Paul Mason has branded UKIP voters “toe-rags” who would “nick your bike”. Talking specifically about the Stoke by-election, Mason, flanked by the Green Party’s Sian Berry and Guardian columnist Zoe Williams, offers this contemptuous analysis of first-time voters who consider backing UKIP:

“They’re not working class Tories… most of the UKIP people are either people who haven’t voted or have flipped in a radical way from Labour. They are toe-rags, basically. They are the bloke who nicks your bike.”
Arousing nervous laughter from his audience, Mason makes clear he is not joking:

“No, seriously, that’s who it is, it’s the bloke who does all the anti-social things.“
Mason made the comments at a Novara Media event in trendy Hackney last week. He also told the audience he would be going up to Stoke to campaign for Labour. Sure this will go down well on the doorstep…

UPDATE: UKIP has responded to Mason’s diatribe. The party’s Media Spokesman Patrick O’Flynn said:

“Paul Mason has lifted the lid on what the radical left think about long time Labour voters who have lost faith with that party and moved across to UKIP. He thinks they are “toe-rags”, presumably for feeling a sense of patriotism, for feeling concerned about open door immigration and for supporting Brexit.

“Any voters who care about these issues but were pondering whether to still vote Labour have their answer: Mr Mason and the radical metropolitan left think they are scum. We in UKIP understand and share their concerns and will always treat them with respect.”

Alernative facts. Or just "locker room" banter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here