Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The impact of a Chelsea move to Battersea on the Albion

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Can't imagine the difference between a 52 minute or the current 57 minute journey from Brighton would make much odds, and Chelsea usually play on Sundays anyway so people could comfortably follow both Albion and Chelsea if they were so inclined. You'll be OK as long as they don't start running subsidised coaches from Sussex or something inherently evil like that.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
it's got all arty farty in that area hasn't it, should fit in nicley with the new crop of punters they've seduced .

Not when I last looked. Still industrial round there.

That would be like describing the area around our stadium as an ANOB.

It's in desperate need of sorting out.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Can't imagine the difference between a 52 minute or the current 57 minute journey from Brighton would make much odds, and Chelsea usually play on Sundays anyway so people could comfortably follow both Albion and Chelsea if they were so inclined. You'll be OK as long as they don't start running subsidised coaches from Sussex or something inherently evil like that.

The time is red herring anyway. It's going to take longer to get the ground. I note that many Chelsea fans currently take the option of walking 15 minutes from Imperial Wharf.

Best thing apart the potential development is that Clapham Junction will now be connected to the Underground, directly.

Although, technically so many trains run the very short stop into Victoria/Balham it's never been an issue getting into central London from there.

So for the thousands of Brighton fans who are swapping their tickets for the Power Station - some travel advice.

1) Brighton to Clapham Junction, Clapham Junction to Battersea Park

2) Brighton to Victoria, Victoria to Battersea Park

3) If they build it, change onto underground at Clapham Junction, then get a tube to Battersea.

or

5) Brighton to London Bridge, the underground to Kennington, change for Northern Line Extension to Battersea.

6) London Bridge to Battersea Park overland, although not that regular a service.

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
For the 1st time in Eons BHA have had a bigger average than Palace couldn't beat us on pitch though could you :lolol:
Give it a few more seasons and the Amex will be as empty as the Ricoh arena :p

Interesting to see that Palace's average attendance is less than 100 more than Coventry's. And this, in a relegation season for Coventry as well. I wonder how much less Palace's average would be if they didn't count all the no shows.

Perhaps your statement should read 'Give it a few more seasons and the Amex will be as empty as Selhurst Park'.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
..and not much difference in getting to from Brighton. Still a change at Clapham Junction onto a local train or the new Northern Line spur.

Direct train from Croydon though.

Their traditional "working class" support comes from Wandsworth, I'm sure Bushy will back that up. It will be them streaming back, not people from Sussex.
duly backed up :lolol:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Because if you look at their crowds before the mafia took over, they were getting 15k for a home game. That is pretty much their core support...
two points to make, with regards to the crowd size, no we werent, do your homework instead of just quoting figures you heard in the pub to back up your anti chelsea prejudice, and secondly , how the f*** did das reich know that these fans at the station hadnt been season ticket holders for years? thats right he didnt, and neither do you.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
i think its both and neither. Abramovich could buy up the locals though and pay off the council. either would probably be cheaper than buying a new site. really its just damn inconvienient to be extending such a site.

The position has changed recently - some new business rates rules coming into force means it would be financially catastrophic to LB Hammersmith & Fulham if Chelsea were to move out of the borough, what with the ground & surrounding businesses all going with it. Conversely LB Wandsworth (I think cover Battersea) would welcome them with open arms and 'bend' any planning rules needed. LB Hammersmith & Fulham are now jumping through hoops to keep them at Stamford Bridge - I suspect this latest move by CFC is part of their strategy to remind LBHF what's at stake.

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
They will never move and the reason is the Chelsea Pitch Owners. In the 90s my Nan brought 30 shares at the cost of 3 grand. They need to buy back these shares in order to move (cannot remember why).

Anyway there offering the same prices as were paid back then and the majority of the CPOs have said there going to keep them.

I dont think the Albion need to be worried.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
The position has changed recently - some new business rates rules coming into force means it would be financially catastrophic to LB Hammersmith & Fulham if Chelsea were to move out of the borough, what with the ground & surrounding businesses all going with it. Conversely LB Wandsworth (I think cover Battersea) would welcome them with open arms and 'bend' any planning rules needed. LB Hammersmith & Fulham are now jumping through hoops to keep them at Stamford Bridge - I suspect this latest move by CFC is part of their strategy to remind LBHF what's at stake.

Good point, and wouldn't surprise me if true. It's win-win for Chelsea. If they convince LBHF of what's at stake they can stay and expand (I'd imagine the first choice for many?), if they can't they've still got a good shot at Battersea (although I suppose it depends who the other bidders are).

I'd be interested to see any plans they draw up for the site, always like new buildings that manage to adapt existing structures. Can be really nice if done well.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
My Palace-supporting friend has messaged me that the story that surfaced in the press last November about Chelsea looking into building a new 60,000 stadium on the site of Battersea Power Station is back on. Clearly, he is not happy about it.

If it were to happen would it affect the Albion and football in Sussex? I see it's a 52 min journey from Brighton to Battersea Park, Chelsea would have c. 20,000 more seats and better facilities, probably cheaper prices for catering etc than they charge at present too.

I wonder whether many of the JCLs signing up for season tickets with the Albion would switch back to Chelsea if it was a faster and cheaper day out than Stamford Bridge is at present.

You 'avin a laugh? Impact on Brighton? :lol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
They will never move and the reason is the Chelsea Pitch Owners. In the 90s my Nan brought 30 shares at the cost of 3 grand. They need to buy back these shares in order to move (cannot remember why).

they only need to buy up those shares in order to sell the current ground. if they have a plan in mind thats large enough for additional "enabling" development that will pay for the costs of the stadium, and say a wealthy backer, they can move somewhere else.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
they only need to buy up those shares in order to sell the current ground. if they have a plan in mind thats large enough for additional "enabling" development that will pay for the costs of the stadium, and say a wealthy backer, they can move somewhere else.

They can't buy those shares without consent and last year the Chelsea Pitch Owners voted against allowing the owner to buy them. It looks simple in reading, not so simple in reality.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have been reading about this in today's paper. As I understand it, the stadium will be built within the current structure and save all/most of the key features. If they pull this off it will be one of the most iconic stadiums in the world and one amazing piece of architecture.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here