Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The impact of a Chelsea move to Battersea on the Albion

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My Palace-supporting friend has messaged me that the story that surfaced in the press last November about Chelsea looking into building a new 60,000 stadium on the site of Battersea Power Station is back on. Clearly, he is not happy about it.

If it were to happen would it affect the Albion and football in Sussex? I see it's a 52 min journey from Brighton to Battersea Park, Chelsea would have c. 20,000 more seats and better facilities, probably cheaper prices for catering etc than they charge at present too.

I wonder whether many of the JCLs signing up for season tickets with the Albion would switch back to Chelsea if it was a faster and cheaper day out than Stamford Bridge is at present.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
My Palace-supporting friend has messaged me that the story that surfaced in the press last November about Chelsea looking into building a new 60,000 stadium on the site of Battersea Power Station is back on. Clearly, he is not happy about it.

If it were to happen would it affect the Albion and football in Sussex? I see it's a 52 min journey from Brighton to Battersea Park, Chelsea would have c. 20,000 more seats and better facilities, probably cheaper prices too.

I wonder whether many of the JCLs signing up for season tickets with the Albion would switch back to Chelsea if it was a faster and cheaper day out than Stamford Bridge is at present.

Do what?

If it were to happen would it affect the Albion and football in Sussex? I see it's a 52 min journey from Brighton to Battersea Park, Chelsea would have c. 20,000 more seats and better facilities, probably cheaper prices too.

None, IF it impacts on anyone it will be Charlton, Palace and Millwall.

But it's only really 3 miles away from where they are now anyway.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I agree it could have an impact, certainly on Palace, and potentially on Brighton. But I still can't see how that site could be transformed into a ground of that size, leaving the chimneys intact, which I think are protected. Presumably the consultants have a plan in mind but I can't visualise it myself.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I don't think it would make much difference tbh. Maybe as you state a few jcl's would vote with their feet but most of the 'new' fans we've got are jcb's or people who were just occasional visitors to Withdean. You've got to take into account that Chelsea's prices are going to be more expensive as well.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I think it would affect us, as some of the Chelsea 'fans' down here would be more likely to make the effort to go to Battersea rather than come to the Amex to see their 'second' team.

But it will be more expensive with ticket prices and the train fare (even with kids for a quid).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
sweet f*** all. Palace fans might be concerned, because what you'd think was Palace catchment area to the west of Croydon are already going to Chelsea.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I meant Chelsea's prices, not ours (original post edited).

I live in a village in West Sussex. My kid plays for the local Under-6 side. He's the only BHA lad. There's one Spurs, 3 Man Utd, but 4 or 5 Chelsea. At the start of the season there were 2 Chelsea kids. Every birthday there's another kid turning up in his new Chelsea top.

Moreover, the whole club is part of the Chelsea network; they send down scouts, run 2 coaching clinics a year, trips to the Cobham training ground AND they have rigorous safety procedures but excellent coaching. I wish the Albion were running the programme, not Chelsea.

My view is a move south of the river by Chelsea WOULD be significant for the Albion.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I agree it could have an impact, certainly on Palace, and potentially on Brighton. But I still can't see how that site could be transformed into a ground of that size, leaving the chimneys intact, which I think are protected. Presumably the consultants have a plan in mind but I can't visualise it myself.

My thoughts exactly. Will certainly affect Palace in the long run.

Looks alright though.

AsDPVkXCMAA_Y29.jpg

danish seagull

Apr 16, 2012
København
No effect on the Albion whatsoever. Palace would probably be papping it a bit though. Fans would rather go to a spanky new stadium there than sit in their shit hole.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Sam Wallace ‏ [MENTION=612]Sam[/MENTION]WallaceIndy
RT @tariqpanja Chelsea one of 10 bidders for Battersea Power Station site

Earls Court site the only other option for CFC if they build new stadium. This move also raises stakes with Capco who own that site

CFC: 'We must also stress making an offer for the Battersea PS site doesn't mean club has made definitive decision to leave Stamford Bridge'

CFC Battersea announcement also 2 fingers to LBHF who have made much noise about helping club expand SB but regarded with suspicion by club

Seems to suggest to me that perhaps this isn't really a foregone conclusion. One of ten bidders, so might not get it, part of it seems to be about putting pressure on others etc.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

If it were to happen would it affect the Albion and football in Sussex? I see it's a 52 min journey from Brighton to Battersea Park, Chelsea would have c. 20,000 more seats and better facilities, probably cheaper prices for catering etc than they charge at present too.

Why even give this ramble space.....?..... don't you think it might affect qpr, brentford, fulham, palace, charlton, mill wall and even crawley a bit more than us:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here