The guy who stormed out of H Block

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
If the stewards really wanted to get people to sit down then they should just start picking people who keep on standing after being told to sit down and chucking them out. After 4 or 5 people have gone, people might think about sitting down then.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
If that's the case why allow people to stand at the back and why allow the away fans to stand or have the club got different rules for different parts of the ground?

Dare I suggest letting any fans stand up if thats the rule should apply to every club, Man U . Scousers, Yido's, Arsenal, Birmingham, Villa, the list is endless they all stand up throughout the match. Identify this pr..k steward then let him have it.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
you might be talking about the user srixon/helter.

he bought my ticket via my brother asi couldnt go. my brother said he was an absolute twat and possibly has mental issues. for the record the people in the back row usually get left alone by the stewatds which is why we chose to sit there.

Jan 30, 2008
If the stewards really wanted to get people to sit down then they should just start picking people who keep on standing after being told to sit down and chucking them out. After 4 or 5 people have gone, people might think about sitting down then.
shit stirrer ???

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
When did it last have a safety check? The stairs are buckling and most of the seat rows seem to move back at an alarming angle.

That's an interesting point. Looking at it from the North the stairs do look very irregular.

Maybe you better all be careful!

No, you THINK you're aware of the consequence. You said the club will get fined if people stand during a game (post #11). No it won't.

With the operations that have been undertaken at Withdean to ensure crowd control, health and safety within the limits that regulations require, it occurs to me that Brighton and Hove Albion have managed to get sanctioned for a new stadium (in an acclaimed sensitive location), avoided the local council and FA watchful eyes and objections enough to exist (also in a more sensitive area and with some persistent moaners) this long - and WE have VERY nearly reached the finish post that enters us into the 'new world' of Amex Stadium Nirvana.

Don't worry, be happy? Well okay, there have been many things to whinge about and feel utterly discomfited about along the way, and that DOES go for the STAFF as well as the fans, believe me.
You will probably feel the lurve at the end of all this endurance, but why not give a little slack to the people who are JUST as troubled and concerned that all procedures are followed to keep us in good with authority?

I am an ex-steward as most of you know, and also a lifetime Albion fan who has stood in The North Stand for much of the 1970's era.
After several years as an NSC poster winding up the twats / NSC clique (from the inception of NSC, or thereabouts!) I personally have had to watch what I say because of my job, and people tried to use it against me (I asked to remove something once and had that ignored, so I expect the mods/bozza have gone along with that). It's been a great job of work that carries loads of pride, despite how many of you like to paint/smear it.
It's not a job that merely requires wearing hi-viz, or needs people who are good at acting like a wannabe cop. The safety aspects are strong on the agendas, especially with this stadium which DOES require some special attentions at times (and places). So perhaps you could take into account that stewards ARE there to look after you, and look after OUR club too, not just look at you and enforce rules.

Obviously with the home crowd there are familiar faces and behavior patterns that require attention too - and many times you see someone singled out for something, it's not always just because of one incident, and of occasional it can be due to fellow-fans' complaints around him/her.

There is a logic and agenda behind all the conduct, all the actions of stewards are purposeful and even stringent for good reasons.

You are SO close to taking your beautiful comfortable seat at Falmer, delighting in strolling around the magnificent Amex Stadium hours before the games begin, and leaving at your leisure up to 2 hours after procedings have drawn to a close. How great will you feel, and how much will this endurance have been a thorn in your sides, that will seem worth the small trouble of just complying with ground rules?

Death and destruction in Pakistan and Haiti, flooding in New Orleans and Brisbane, and having to sit down when asked at a football match. Just do it, this isn't really that much sacrifice to go along with, it isn't asking for blind allegiance to an unjust cause.
Falmer is a few short months away.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
So who was it that walked out?!

When did it last have a safety check? The stairs are buckling and most of the seat rows seem to move back at an alarming angle.

This post will probably get attention in the right quarters - but you should certainly bring this point up (or anything else you may have noticed about the stands) with Albion staff. They ask that supporters do report such things, and they can then follow it up with the Withdean groundstaff.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I very much doubt it as i dont go to the Withdean.

Obviously you don't, as you would be aware that it's not called THE Withdean.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

You are SO close to taking your beautiful comfortable seat at Falmer, delighting in strolling around the magnificent Amex Stadium hours before the games begin, and leaving at your leisure up to 2 hours after procedings have drawn to a close. How great will you feel, and how much will this endurance have been a thorn in your sides, that will seem worth the small trouble of just complying with ground rules?

Actually, at Withdean I DO abide by the rules and I wasn't moaning about stewards. But as I've mentioned before I've seen Newcastle play quite a few times and the Newcastle fans (away) invariably stand up for 90 minutes. Despite the fact that this is a FLAGRANT breach of the Regulations stewards never try to get them to sit down. And despite the fact this happens match after match, year after year the grounds (White Hart Lane, Stamford Bridge, Upton Park, etc) do not have areas closed because of persistent standing and the clubs such as Chelsea, Spurs etc aren't fined because the Regulations have been breached. Consequently saying that the club will be 'punished' for allowing standing (as Perkino suggested) is the equivalent of telling children that the bogeyman will get them unless they eat their greens.

Whether it's 'right' or 'safe' that persistent standing at or by big clubs goes unpunished is another matter. I'm pleased the Regulations get flouted with impunity but you may feel differently.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Its not FA rules, its local council H&S rules, applied to ridiculously pedantic levels by jobs-worth stewards who in most cases havn't got a clue what supporting football is all about in the real world,......

Actually the requirements are laid out in law, FA rules and local H&S policies. The dig at the stewards is cheap and pathetic - all they're doing is their job i.e. asking people to sit down. If it annoys people that much there are two things you could do a) ignore the request but be prepared to be thrown out if they decide to enforce the letter of the rules or b) sit down. Neither option requires much intelligence so the moaners on here should be OK.

A large majority of the stewards ARE Albion supporters and many of them have held season tickets over the years as well as attend away games.

Actually, at Withdean I DO abide by the rules and I wasn't moaning about stewards. But as I've mentioned before I've seen Newcastle play quite a few times and the Newcastle fans (away) invariably stand up for 90 minutes. Despite the fact that this is a FLAGRANT breach of the Regulations stewards never try to get them to sit down. And despite the fact this happens match after match, year after year the grounds (White Hart Lane, Stamford Bridge, Upton Park, etc) do not have areas closed because of persistent standing and the clubs such as Chelsea, Spurs etc aren't fined because the Regulations have been breached. Consequently saying that the club will be 'punished' for allowing standing (as Perkino suggested) is the equivalent of telling children that the bogeyman will get them unless they eat their greens.

Whether it's 'right' or 'safe' that persistent standing at or by big clubs goes unpunished is another matter. I'm pleased the Regulations get flouted with impunity but you may feel differently.

Who can guess what 'might' have happened if we flouted with impunity and didn't approach the regulations to satisfy the people who make them (and watch clubs like ours). IF it were just something we tabled when making a strong case for a new Stadium (sorry to keep harking on about that as the spine for my point, but it is what it is), then who can know if it was the grain of truth that tipped the scales finally in our favours against the weight of lies and fabrications?

Do we STILL need to have good behavior among our fanbase to exemplify our deserved warrant for The Amex Stad? I can't tell you but I'm asking what do YOU think Tim? Isn't there something intrinsic to the root cause of problems vs the rooting in healthy ground of good behavior? How does NSC think hooliganism has been greatly reduced since the 'heyday' times of arranged battles or some smashing of shop windows at almost every league fixture? "we're gonna TAKE the North Stand" was common threat in the 1970's, and hushed-tone stories of racism and ultraviolence from The Chelsea Shed to The Stretford End. It was filthy with it in our sport! Where did it get dampened down, who acted to stop that rot, infamous with English (and Scots and Welsh) football fans? It smeared our national game!
It tarnished our image internationally, horribly, and is only just dying down now, abroad!
WHO has stopped that?

Howabout the disasters, Hillsborough was another huge wake-up to reality. Order required, order in the Stadiums - who is helping with that order then? All these stewards that people have complained take up funds, who are just there to look important?? It surely is NOT the fans alone, without some of you/us having some sensibility in compliance with first polite requests from YOUR club.
'Your club' includes the players - they must surely appreciate the work that enables their safety, their club not getting fined, their supporters able to travel in numbers, themselves and their club able to compete in all competitions unfettered. From the groundstaff who care for the pitch they play upon, to the people who make sure they get off the pitch, don't get attacked by opposing players by the dressing rooms, who care that they don't get approached after the match by angry fans.... etc.
It's all part and parcel of running a successful operation, and needs to have the basic ground-level foundation of procedure and compliance.

Does anyone imagine the safety officer can best do his job, if there's a wishy-washy grey area of allowance to "flout with impunity"?

But to put it back to basics - it's actually not asking a lot, when you look at where this is getting us, particularly us.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
If it's SO important that the rules are enforced, how come they're enforced for a small group of home fans but NEVER enforced for a large group of away fans?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Who can guess what 'might' have happened if we flouted with impunity and didn't approach the regulations to satisfy the people who make them (and watch clubs like ours). IF it were just something we tabled when making a strong case for a new Stadium (sorry to keep harking on about that as the spine for my point, but it is what it is), then who can know if it was the grain of truth that tipped the scales finally in our favours against the weight of lies and fabrications?

Do we STILL need to have good behavior among our fanbase to exemplify our deserved warrant for The Amex Stad? I can't tell you but I'm asking what do YOU think Tim? Isn't there something intrinsic to the root cause of problems vs the rooting in healthy ground of good behavior? How does NSC think hooliganism has been greatly reduced since the 'heyday' times of arranged battles or some smashing of shop windows at almost every league fixture? "we're gonna TAKE the North Stand" was common threat in the 1970's, and hushed-tone stories of racism and ultraviolence from The Chelsea Shed to The Stretford End. It was filthy with it in our sport! Where did it get dampened down, who acted to stop that rot, infamous with English (and Scots and Welsh) football fans? It smeared our national game!
It tarnished our image internationally, horribly, and is only just dying down now, abroad!
WHO has stopped that?

Howabout the disasters, Hillsborough was another huge wake-up to reality. Order required, order in the Stadiums - who is helping with that order then? All these stewards that people have complained take up funds, who are just there to look important?? It surely is NOT the fans alone, without some of you/us having some sensibility in compliance with first polite requests from YOUR club.
'Your club' includes the players - they must surely appreciate the work that enables their safety, their club not getting fined, their supporters able to travel in numbers, themselves and their club able to compete in all competitions unfettered. From the groundstaff who care for the pitch they play upon, to the people who make sure they get off the pitch, don't get attacked by opposing players by the dressing rooms, who care that they don't get approached after the match by angry fans.... etc.
It's all part and parcel of running a successful operation, and needs to have the basic ground-level foundation of procedure and compliance.

Does anyone imagine the safety officer can best do his job, if there's a wishy-washy grey area of allowance to "flout with impunity"?

But to put it back to basics - it's actually not asking a lot, when you look at where this is getting us, particularly us.
Wow. Look, all I'm saying is that the rules on standing are routinely and regularly flouted by fans of big clubs and there are no club-level punishments. (And no deaths, but that's another issue). And also at Withdean I DO abide by the rules. I think you're ranting at the wrong person.

Wow. Look, all I'm saying is that the rules on standing are routinely and regularly flouted by fans of big clubs and there are no club-level punishments. (And no deaths, but that's another issue). And also at Withdean I DO abide by the rules. I think you're ranting at the wrong person.

No no, I'm not "ranting", I'm posting a counter-point to your points. Your points I imagine are to everyone who wants to read - so why is it off for me to present another observation to your (well stated) viewpoint? I'm only DISCUSSING your points Tim, not putting up a wall or aggressive 'rant'. It's for anyone to take on or not, just as your points are.
Simples :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports