Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Greatest Player to pull on an Albion shirt (to date)

The greatest player to pull on an Albion shirt (to date)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
You are wrong and being a bit insulting to older fans. Lawro was a wonderful player, sorry if you didn't see him live. I recall us playing Forest in the old First Division. The most expensive and arguably fastest player in the league, Trevor Francis, broke free to run towards the Brighton goal. Lawro memorably cruised towards Francis like a Rolls Royce in overdrive and stole the ball from behind him. He played defence as the classy footballing centre back alongside the more agricultural Steve Foster. He played midfield, possibly with a broken arm if I remember rightly. For a latter day comparison, his surging runs from defence were like Webster is praised for, only more athletic and graceful with better outcomes. He earned a move to Liverpool as a result and continued to excel during their 80's glory years. He was loved when he was with us (less so when he left and forgot we existed) and I well remember a fan near me yelling, 'Lawro, I could kiss your sweaty socks'. It's hard to relate to players who starred for us before we were watching and I feel the same about Bobby Smith Mark 1 but trust me, Lawro was the genuine article, not a fantasy figure in the memories of older fans trying to get one up on today's fans.

Absolutely.

Well said.

I recall a friendly I think it was where Mullers was waxing lyrical . I did cut it out from The Argus as a kid. I was a sweeper type, and Mullers enthused something on the lines of he'd never seen Beckenbauer play any better than yer man did.
He made van Dijk look stressy and panicked with his calm and deceptive pace and reading of the game.
Going forward he was imperious.
Injuries cost him a lot, and Phil Thompson called him a genius, fully understanding of how the lad took his place.
A classy player, woupd have fitted in to today's demands.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I loved Vicente. One of my fondest life memories was taking my 9 year old to Hastings to see him play in a pre season friendly. And he was class in his cameos for us over 2 years. But this was up against Championship defenders not the PL…
PS the last three players to win the Premier League and also have played for Albion are Welbeck, Lallana and who …? (Not so far mentioned)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I loved Vicente. One of my fondest life memories was taking my 9 year old to Hastings to see him play in a pre season friendly. And he was class in his cameos for us over 2 years. But this was up against Championship defenders not the PL…
PS the last three players to win the Premier League and also have played for Albion are Welbeck, Lallana and who …? (Not so far mentioned)

Wayne Bridge?

D

Deleted member 2719

Vicente, made my jaw drop just watching him, I could not believe we had a player of his quality and what he could do............never got sick of the way he put defenders on their bums for fun.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Ulloa.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
He is absolutely not a more skillful footballer than Lawro so you would have to elaborate on the elements of "better". I have seen Lawro take the ball out of defence and carry it the length of the pitch on several occasions, going past half a dozen opposition players in the process. Dunk, whilst I'm a great admirer, could never do that, neither the technical skill nor the pace.

He could, if he was playing against players of 1980s quality.

Lawro is subjectively better because of the standard of the time. Lawro would most likely be better than Dunk if his career happened now, I expect. But I'm fairly sure that every single Premier league today would comfortably beat every single first division side of 1980. And I guess that's the point I'm making.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
He could, if he was playing against players of 1980s quality.

Lawro is subjectively better because of the standard of the time. Lawro would most likely be better than Dunk if his career happened now, I expect. But I'm fairly sure that every single Premier league today would comfortably beat every single first division side of 1980. And I guess that's the point I'm making.

Lawrenson comfortably fitted in to a side winning League Championships and European Cups.

Would Dunk do the same?

I don't really care, as I love having Dunk here.

But Lawro was a class above. The one you'd compare his style to now is Virgil

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I have to choose two players. Without doubt in 57 years of following the Albion, Vicente and Lawrenson must get my vote. Sublime skills and playing for the Albion. It surely doesn't get any better for a lifelong fan. It was a privilege to watch them.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I think that in about five years time, some of the current squad will be dominating this type of thread, but in the meantime Lawrenson

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Always a difficult question since if you put any PL player today in a time machine and send them to the 1980s, they would absolutely destroy any opponent. Makes it all a bit wonky to compare.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Is greatest ?
- player with “most honours” who also played for us (probably Jimmy Case if merely defined by league champ wins, European cup / champions league .). In modern era Lallana, Welbeck, Bridge, Ulloa , Vicente all have a shout.
- “best” player in terms of performance whilst playing for us - all opinion / I’d say Lawrenson - but you need start to consider Bissouma here from modern era . Vicente was playing in the Championship and too patchy.
- or just “great” in terms of high performance over long period. At high level . - Lewis Dunk , Brian Horton probably fighting it out.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Jimmy Case won the First Division 4 times and 3 European Cup medals.

He has a case (no pun intended) for being among the greatest players to pull on an Albion shirt.

One of my favourite players, and I was weaned on Lawrenson, Ward Horton, the Stevens, Robinson . . .

Honourable mention for Peter Smith as well.

And no one else will but , Pascal Gross definitely in the top ten classy players. Not Silky Dave level Obvs!

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
In my opinion, there is no competition for Lawrenson. A truly outstanding player. I remember one game when he was at fault for a goal. Responded by walking through the opposing team and scoring. Cannot remember the opposition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here