Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Greatest Player to pull on an Albion shirt (to date)

The greatest player to pull on an Albion shirt (to date)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Vicente?
Come off it. The guy had a lovely few cameos for us in the Championship and undoubted quality but our greatest ever player? Wow.

It depends what you mean by 'greatest'. Zamora, for example, was far better and more influential for us than Vicente ever was. But Zamora isn't fit to lace Vicente's boots as a footballer. Zamora was an excellent Championship striker who had one reasonable season in the Premier League, Vicente was world-class in his day. Same with Ward, he was brilliant for us but never did it in the top division as far as I know (before my time), so it's ridiculous to suggest he is the greatest player ever to play for us.

Dunk has 172 Premier League appearances for us with 12 goals as a centre back, and at least 70% of the time he'd have got a 7 out of 10, and has regularly been our best player. I can't really see who else can compete with that.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Two different questions wrapped up in one. (1) greatest player ever for Brighton and (2) the best footballer to wear the stripes. The answer to the second is Vicente, but the first is not the same answer.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am thinking ahead - Caicedo

For the moment it has to be "2-0 to the opposition" Lawro though

Ward, with the protection offered players these days may well have been the one but he disappointed at this level at the time.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Ability wise Vicente, but greatest I think we have to go for Dunk, for the games he played and leadership. I think may have seen the emergence of the Brighton player that will go on to be the greatest in terms of success. Moises Caciedo.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
In my time (early 1966 onwards) the greatest was Lawrenson by a country mile. Vincente, if I'm being unkind, falls into the category of 'ageing pro's'; one of the many players who've come to us when their best days were behind them. Lawrenson on the other hand developed into a world-class player whilst he was with us. (At one stage we thought Wardie might as well but he never quite did it).

Prior to my time, well, Charlie Webb and Tommy Cook must both be in with a shout.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Horton?

Anyway, the answer is Lawrenson. Those of us who saw him play for us will know why, and no, it isn't just nostalgia. He would have walked into the England team while playing for us.

I was born four years after Horton left so can't say I ever saw him.

Saw Bruno loads though.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Jimmy Case won the First Division 4 times and 3 European Cup medals.

He has a case (no pun intended) for being among the greatest players to pull on an Albion shirt.

Just had to look this up. While a lot of players won 3 European Cup medals, just 33 players won it more than 3 times (and 10 of those were Real players in the early 50s).

Name another of our players to have as big a haul of medals. Lawro got 5 Div 1 titles and 1 European Cup medal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Jimmy Case testimonial,1994-5ish I think

Yep. He certainly did.

Lineup: Rust, Munday, Tuck, Case (Minton 43 ), Bissett, Pates, Chamberlain ( Fox 83 ), Byrne, Nogan ( Ryan 74 ), Codner ( Brady 61 ), Le Tissier ( McDougall 53 )

Goldst. Ground | Monday 17 October 1994

Attendance: 15,645
Referee: Gunn A

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Liam Brady

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Yep. He certainly did.

Lineup: Rust, Munday, Tuck, Case (Minton 43 ), Bissett, Pates, Chamberlain ( Fox 83 ), Byrne, Nogan ( Ryan 74 ), Codner ( Brady 61 ), Le Tissier ( McDougall 53 )

Goldst. Ground | Monday 17 October 1994

Attendance: 15,645
Referee: Gunn A

Didn't Hoddle play as well, or am I going mad?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The question is the greatest player to pull on an Albion shirt, not the greatest player for the Albion - 2 different questions I feel.

The greatest player to pull on an Albion shirt for me was Vicente. A mercurial talent. Poetry on a football pitch. Only player I've seen recently that comes close to having his fluid balance is Mo Salah, and even he doesn't look quite as natural as Vicente did. In fact, Vicente was so naturally gifted, I don't think he actually wanted to play football, just happened to be so good at it it was effortless.

He's a long way off being the greatest player for the Albion though, but that clearly wasn't the question.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Easy:

katie-price-brighton-kit.jpg

EnBgmYZWMAMfphF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here