• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Apparently Labour's worst result for decades.

Yet Corbyn got a higher percentage than Gordon Brown or Ed Miliband managed.

So how does that work ?

That's not a good thing though is it? Everyone knows it's FPTP. You may not agree with it but it was hardly a secret. Corbyn has lost Bolsover. Corbyn has lost Bishop Auckland. Hell, Corbyn has lost most of Northern England. He singularly failed to identify the threat of the Tories targetting Warrington Man, singularly failed to appeal to people in key marginals and his own safe seats. Elections have never, ever been won with over 50% of the popular vote in the UK.

Even Boris conceeds that these people may have "lent" him their vote though. To get it back, Corbyn needs to go and he needs to go now. All this "taking some time to reflect" is bollocks. What he'll be doing is taking time to change the nominations process for leader so that the membership and not the MPs nominate candidates. When he does that the Labour Party will arguably be more democratic, will certainly be more ideologically pure and the Tories will be in power for the next 30 years. My kids will grow up thinking of places like Darlington and Leigh as safe Tory seats.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
This country can and must unite.... but if and when it does it will be down to the magnanimity of its people; it will not be Johnson's achievement but ours. Personalising this victory/defeat is for foolish people and no one knows what a post Brexit Britain will be like...or if there will be a Britain at all. The Election is over but debate can and will carry on.....

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Silver linings from a Labour voter:

- No smug messages from my Tory friends (yet)
- At the end of this term the Tories will have been in power for 15 years at which point they'll be unable to blame Labour anymore (yes, I am this gullible)
- I may still be drunk from my Christmas do
- In six hours I'll be back on my couch

All in all, could be worse.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That's not a good thing though is it? Everyone knows it's FPTP. You may not agree with it but it was hardly a secret. Corbyn has lost Bolsover. Corbyn has lost Bishop Auckland. Hell, Corbyn has lost most of Northern England. He singularly failed to identify the threat of the Tories targetting Warrington Man, singularly failed to appeal to people in key marginals and his own safe seats. Elections have never, ever been won with over 50% of the popular vote in the UK.

Even Boris conceeds that these people may have "lent" him their vote though. To get it back, Corbyn needs to go and he needs to go now. All this "taking some time to reflect" is bollocks. What he'll be doing is taking time to change the nominations process for leader so that the membership and not the MPs nominate candidates. When he does that the Labour Party will arguably be more democratic, will certainly be more ideologically pure and the Tories will be in power for the next 30 years. My kids will grow up thinking of places like Darlington and Leigh as safe Tory seats.

Momentum disciples Long-Bailey or Rayner will be the next leader. The centrist others don’t stand a chance. That’s stitch up on the wider party, with Corbyn staying on deliberately staying on for a few months to see that done and dusted.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
No. I'll take it on the chin, the people got what the people wanted, fair and square and congratulations to them :thumbsup:

You'll be pleased to know that my shit day is about to get worse. I've got a meeting with my IFA later today, where I'll get another kicking for not taking his advice. Sadly, I'm going to have to swallow that too and tell him to do what he has been asking me for nearly 3 years now. :down:

I just hope for everyone's sake that 'Get Brexit Done' isn't viewed in the same way as 'Let's spend £350 million a week on the NHS' 3.5 years down the line.

So just to clarify, as a remainer you've always told us leavers to believe the so called experts. That we're stupid to suggest they are wrong. Yet you EMPLOY an expert and ignore their advice ? :facepalm:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1205410139349667840[/TWEET]

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Big cabinet reshuffle expected soon, I think we will see a return of Chris Grayling to the front bench after another thumping victory of nearly 20,000 in his constituency and also key roles for Dom Raab and James Cleverly.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

The funny thing is momentum types saying the policies are popular, it was Corbyn or it was Brexit. Deluded beyond belief. Keep the same policies and they are out of power until the Tories **** up. Which maybe their strategy

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Nevermind Darlington, Sedgefield, Workington, Bishop Auckland and Blyth Valley. Let's not forget that the biggest casualty of this election night was [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]'s sofa.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Momentum disciples Long-Bailey or Rayner will be the next leader. The centrist others don’t stand a chance. That’s stitch up on the wider party, with Corbyn staying on deliberately staying on for a few months to see that done and dusted.

That's an interesting take on the matter; I hope you are wrong, but I think it was Corbyn's primary objective to change the Labour Party permanently and staying on temporarily till that is achieved is probably his best option.... It will mean conceding the middle ground but he is an ideologue and I think he is prepared to pay the price of Labour remaining out of power for many years, if not ever, to make that happen..... I think he is a conviction politician, an activist but I fear his intransigence will be damaging.....

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Big cabinet reshuffle expected soon, I think we will see a return of Chris Grayling to the front bench after another thumping victory of nearly 20,000 in his constituency and also key roles for Dom Raab and James Cleverly.

I wonder if Boris is now secure enough to exact revenge on Gove for his disloyalty in Boris' 2016 leadership bid...?

theonlymikey

Apr 21, 2016
"Evans sighed when asked if he liked Johnson.

I think he’s the best of a bad bunch but it’s brilliant that the town has turned blue. It’s been Labour for too long. We need a change. Things can’t get worse."

Who wants to be the one to break it to him?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
So just to clarify, as a remainer you've always told us leavers to believe the so called experts. That we're stupid to suggest they are wrong. Yet you EMPLOY an expert and ignore their advice ? :facepalm:

I didn't ignore it. I simply disagreed with him re maximising my returns and minimising my tax liabilities, if it meant moving assets offshore.

I'm worried what may happen economically over the next few years and now have to make sure my family don't suffer because of my principles. For example, taking out private healthcare for an extended family isn't cheap :shrug:

Anyway, enough of my troubles, shouldn't you be celebrating ?

Last edited:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
[TWEET]1205410139349667840[/TWEET]

Di Abbott school of maths.17.4 million,a minority.
Well I was going for a currywurst up the German market,but perhaps some Gammon at Wetherspoons might be more appropriate!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Shall we all fill out and send our tory-crossed postal votes for 2024 today ?

Might as well get it done.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Looking at the country as a whole there is an elephant in the room for Boris, for the biggest crisis in the next five years for the Conservative and Unionist party may be the Union itself. With customs checks between the rest of the country and the island of Ireland, with virtually the whole of Scotland going SNP and with the DUP losing ground to nationalists, there will be pressure on the union from all sides. Can Boris deliver the democratic vote to get Brexit done but ignore the democratic vote for IndyRef 2? That would take some chutzpah, but he has it in spades.

The way to ensure the Union survives is to improve the lives of those people living in the parts of it where there is agitation for independence. Now that the path ahead is clearer the government needs to make absolutely certain there is a positive outcome to these trade deals, and that the benefits of them are centered more around the regions than the South East.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here