Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Games of the XXXI Olympiad

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Hey Fruity, are you NSC's answer to James Cracknell?

I heard him commentate on 2 events, this afternoon.
With 500 m to go he was spectacularly wrong calling both.

'The French have cracked it's just between GB and NZ ... a good win there by France'. :facepalm: :lol:

Beware of John Hunt, primarily a Horseracing commentator but drafted in to cover swimming on 5LIve... he treats every swim race like a horse race so no matter how close or easy a race is he builds up to a huge squeal like we have just had Red Rum's 4th National win. I have to lurch to the sound knob quick.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Couldn't the IOC award a special prize for Pluckiness in each sporting category ?

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Hi Guys

Just in case anyone is interested, I run Experience Days with GB Athletes. There is a free competition to win a couple of places on a day of your choosing, all you have to do is give us a plug on social media.

Please visit and like [url]www.facebook.com/legacy300 [/URL]and share the pinned video...if any friends do the same, make sure they invite you along.

Many thanks
UTA

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I thought the Gymnastics commentary was nauseating, even when our girl fell off the beam they still couldn't lavish her with enough praise just for carrying on. I appreciate this is a once in a four year opportunity to plug the sport and to big up our competitiveness in it but at least provide some balance of what's good and not so good.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Noticed that the North Korea coach didn't look to happy with the NK girl who messed up the dive. Can't think their Dear Leader will be to happy either.

Re-education all round?

Her first dive back in North Korea will probably be one with concrete boots...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I thought the Gymnastics commentary was nauseating, even when our girl fell off the beam they still couldn't lavish her with enough praise just for carrying on. I appreciate this is a once in a four year opportunity to plug the sport and to big up our competitiveness in it but at least provide some balance of what's good and not so good.

Nauseating? Bit harsh, that. I felt a bit sorry for the commentators because it's clear they're working with sub-standard pictures and virtually no live stats from the event.

Time after time the camera filmed athletes waiting around while there were other athletes actually performing their routine. In addition there were virtually no cumulative scores shown other than at the end of the apparatus stage, so the commentators were struggling to tell the viewers what scores were needed to win what medals.

It was about 10 minutes after GB mathematically couldn't win a medal that Matt Baker realised this fact.

The same thing happened the previous night with the men - it's clear Brazilian TV isn't used to covering gymnastics.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Was watching the weightlifting last night - we have the Australian commentators here, but the co-commentator was an English woman who sounded just like NSC's Edna! I listen to the Albion Roar, before anyone asks.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Noticed that the North Korea coach didn't look to happy with the NK girl who messed up the dive. Can't think their Dear Leader will be to happy either.

Re-education all round?

Her first dive back in North Korea will probably be one with concrete boots...

Wrong.

Some cynical and sanctimonious observers label this "propaganda," when in fact, North Korea is pursuing one of the few avenues of public affairs diplomacy available to it. The North even negotiated with Seoul to send a joint Korean team to the 2000, 2004 and 2008 Summer Olympics, though it has never panned out.
For athletes from the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), it is an opportunity to represent the country in front of an international audience in spite of the intense pressure of expectations from home.
Claiming that Hong will face the firing squad or a life of hard labour for her selfie with Lee Eun-ju ignores the fact that she was also photographed in 2014 hugging American gymnast Simone Biles at an international competition.
You might think that by embracing an athlete of a country described as a "sworn enemy", Hong Un Jong would have incurred censure and not be permitted to participate in the Rio games.
But that didn't happen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-37030696

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Day 4 in London we had 4 medals. Day 4 in Rio we have 6.

I was hoping someone would come up with a stat like that. I thought it took a while before the medals started flowing and so those numbers prove.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Day 4 in London we had 4 medals. Day 4 in Rio we have 6.

I was hoping someone would come up with a stat like that. I thought it took a while before the medals started flowing and so those numbers prove.

Predicted 48-56 medals - 4 down on predictions already after day 3. Was London in the same order as this? Apparently we're also predicted the most 4th place finishes and are already producing some extra 4th places so far. Long way to go of course, but not a good start overall from Team GB unfortunately...

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Predicted 48-56 medals - 4 down on predictions already after day 3. Was London in the same order as this? Apparently we're also predicted the most 4th place finishes and are already producing some extra 4th places so far. Long way to go of course, but not a good start overall from Team GB unfortunately...

But we've still got out big sports to come. Rowing, sailing, athletics and track cycling haven't had any medals yet. There will be a lot of medals there for us. Also, we have a good chance in other events still like swimming, diving, triathlon, tennis etc. No reason to get concerned yet. We had less medals in London at that point and won more than we're predicted this time in the end.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
But we've still got out big sports to come. Rowing, sailing, athletics and track cycling haven't had any medals yet. There will be a lot of medals there for us. Also, we have a good chance in other events still like swimming, diving, triathlon, tennis etc. No reason to get concerned yet. We had less medals in London at that point and won more than we're predicted this time in the end.
Hope you're right! I know there's many to come but can't see it being within 20 of London at this stage - hopefully I'm wrong!

if you look at London, we won around 6-8 medals a day for 5 days or so in the middle - need to replicate that.

I believe (purely from memory) we've already gained more swimming medals than London?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Hope you're right! I know there's many to come but can't see it being within 20 of London at this stage - hopefully I'm wrong!

if you look at London, we won around 6-8 medals a day for 5 days or so in the middle - need to replicate that.

I believe (purely from memory) we've already gained more swimming medals than London?

Yes, that's correct. Missed out in the women's cycling road race and one or two others this time but have got more than the whole of swimming last time.

I think you might be right, it's just a bit early to get carried away. I remember it happening last time and we had the sudden gold rush. The next few days will be key with athletics starting, cycling going on and rowing finals. We'll have a good idea by the weekend.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Wrong.

Some cynical and sanctimonious observers label this "propaganda," when in fact, North Korea is pursuing one of the few avenues of public affairs diplomacy available to it. The North even negotiated with Seoul to send a joint Korean team to the 2000, 2004 and 2008 Summer Olympics, though it has never panned out.
For athletes from the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), it is an opportunity to represent the country in front of an international audience in spite of the intense pressure of expectations from home.
Claiming that Hong will face the firing squad or a life of hard labour for her selfie with Lee Eun-ju ignores the fact that she was also photographed in 2014 hugging American gymnast Simone Biles at an international competition.
You might think that by embracing an athlete of a country described as a "sworn enemy", Hong Un Jong would have incurred censure and not be permitted to participate in the Rio games.
But that didn't happen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-37030696

Sports diplomacy?! What about what happened after World Cup 2010?

Fifa has launched an investigation into allegations that the North Korean World Cup coach and players were punished by the government after they lost all three of their games in the tournament in South Africa.

Last month, Radio Free Asia said that the Korean squad, apart from two foreign-based players, were subjected to 'harsh ideological criticism' after their team conceded the most goals of all 32 at the tournament.

Their coach Kim Jong-hun was also publicly humiliated and sentenced to hard labour for their performance.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sports diplomacy?! What about what happened after World Cup 2010?

Fifa has launched an investigation into allegations that the North Korean World Cup coach and players were punished by the government after they lost all three of their games in the tournament in South Africa.

Last month, Radio Free Asia said that the Korean squad, apart from two foreign-based players, were subjected to 'harsh ideological criticism' after their team conceded the most goals of all 32 at the tournament.

Their coach Kim Jong-hun was also publicly humiliated and sentenced to hard labour for their performance.

That article does say that failure was punished, by 'demoting' someone to construction work.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That article does say that failure was punished, by 'demoting' someone to construction work.

Mixing concrete for the Pyongyang-Hamhung highway, never to be seen again?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Mixing concrete for the Pyongyang-Hamhung highway, never to be seen again?

The World Cup team members were brought to a meeting of athletes, coaches and sports officials where they were severely criticised for their failure to win.
The coach, like any other DPRK senior official, was sent away to do construction for a few months before returning to a lower level position in the DPRK Football Association.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here