Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Games of the XXXI Olympiad

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
4th

They must be gutted

It's unfortunate, because although they'll be down at missing out on a medal, they should be proud that they were in contention for one. I mean it took 100 years for the men to win a solitary medal, and now they are consistently in the mix against the best in the world.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Looks like the heady days of London 2012 are truly over...we have turned back in to Plucky Brits with a propensity to fall, crash, collapse get sent off etc etc across a wide range of events.

It's amazing what a home advantage will give a nation.

But GB is great at events in which we're sitting down (cycling, rowing), so plenty of seated medals to come.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I mean it took 100 years for the men to win a solitary medal, and now they are consistently in the mix against the best in the world.

I was thinking about this last night as I was wondering how much unintentional bias there is in the judging.

The Chinese they're good*. The judges know which gymnasts are Chinese and I find it hard to believe they are not swayed a small bit in their scores. We were the shit Brits for a long time, but have fought our way to the top table, and may now benefit from some of that same bias to give us a chance against the longer established gymnastic nations.

I'm not making my point here very well, but you might still understand what I'm trying to say.

(* - yes, I know Japan won it this time)

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Chance of a medal in the Womens 10m synchro diving, although for some odd reason the water in the pool has gone very green.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
China will get Gold, between us, Canada, Malaysia and North Korea for the other two medals.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Looking like Malaysia for Silver, North Korea have blown it, GB vs. Canada for Bronze.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
This has got to be perfect from the GB girls to get Bronze.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Close, but not quite tonight - in fact we drop below North Korea and finish 5th.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hey Fruity, are you NSC's answer to James Cracknell?

I heard him commentate on 2 events, this afternoon.
With 500 m to go he was spectacularly wrong calling both.

'The French have cracked it's just between GB and NZ ... a good win there by France'. :facepalm: :lol:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Great win from Konta over 3 hours in +30 degrees, thought she was going to lose it but came through in the end. Kerber or Stoser next.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Seems a bit flat from a GB point of view so far
The velodrome kicks off tomorrow, but sadly, for the first time in 8 years, it'll not the medal haul saviour.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
The women's sync diving appeared to be into a pool of festering green liquid. very odd. I'm sure the competitors were not happy with that.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think we're winning the "finishing 4th" league.

I was thinking that we should award medals down to 6th place then we would be well in contention... you could have Copper, Tin and Aluminium for 4th/5th/6th.... and we are a Tinpot country now after all.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I was thinking that we should award medals down to 6th place then we would be well in contention... you could have Copper, Tin and Aluminium for 4th/5th/6th.... and we are a Tinpot country now after all.

Why stop there - carry on like those wedding anniversary things: Paper, Wood, Dogsh*t etc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here