Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Games of the XXXI Olympiad

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Gymnastics. I could watch the men all day: incredible athleticism and feats of strength on display.

But the women's just leaves me cold. Yes, they're also incredible athletes, but I can't bear all the flouncing around, sequins and heavy make up that goes with it. The floor routines might as well be lifted from an episode of Britain's Got Talent.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Those Rugby 7 girls are playing very well, demolished a good Canadian team earlier and now have a semi v NZ (probably unless USA upset them).

Now watching Konta who is winning, shame the camera angle is so poor

I enjoyed the Womens Sevens - lots of talent (no pun intended) and should get a medal.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
*obviously I will be cheering our gymnastic ladies like mad if they get a medal

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
All of these expert commentators take some of the mystery element out......a few strategic swaps with Inverdale say doing the women's gymnastics and the Fencing buff doing the table tennis would jazz it up a touch.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I can't understand why some people don't like the Olympics. Already we've seen some quality injuries and great action. I've enjoyed the fencing with Kruse, GB women's rugby team, tabletennis, diving, women's volleyball, archery.

Honourable mention also for Chinese woman diver Shi Tingmao.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
*obviously I will be cheering our gymnastic ladies like mad if they get a medal

Cannot say I agree, I have known a few good level female Gymnasts in my time they are some of the most powerful people you will meet. It can look a little over the top I agree but it shouldnt detract

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
You use around 30-40 less energy in another rider's slipstream which is why they ride as teams so as to give best rider as long as poss in a group before he or she has to break - see Froome's descent stage win in TdF,

Secret to waching road cycling for the non geek is to find out when it starts, then start watching around 3 hours afterwards; if it is still boring - one small breakwaway group and huge peleton 3 minutes behind - come back in 20 minutes, then repeat until at worst you get the sprint finish.

The time trail is a better test of one against the rest but watching paint dry is fascinating by comparison.

Yeh I'm kind of warming to it a bit more & do enjoy watching it. Just wasn't aware of how the slip-streaming thing worked tbh but do sort of understand it better now. Still a mental amount of tactics & stuff that the novice like myself won't get. I've noticed that the lead group seem to always get caught & then one of the group that's caught them seems to go on to win. Makes you wonder why they even bother going out so early to lead!

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
All of these expert commentators take some of the mystery element out......a few strategic swaps with Inverdale say doing the women's gymnastics and the Fencing buff doing the table tennis would jazz it up a touch.

I do agree with that, when I watched the fencing I felt it got too technical quickly commentary wise for a sport that is not on TV much, however I understand as a fan of other minority sports that if they keep dumbing it down it is truly frustrating

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yay, they won :clap2:

Risky move by the BBC, getting Inverdale to interview the ladies team :ohmy:

My favourite is the skin head with tattoos on her head who just absolutely munches the other smaller girls :lol:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Seriously, why do female sports stars agree to pose for pictures like this? I realise it's entirely her choice and none of my business, but what's the thought process that goes on?

No woman, Dutch or otherwise should be punished for having big boobs...

They should be rewarded if anything...

Equal... They should be equal.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My favourite is the skin head with tattoos on her head who just absolutely munches the other smaller girls :lol:

She's not a skinhead with tattoos - she suffers from alopecia. That's what's left of her hair.

She's a tough cookie: she used to be a bobsleigher, a sport that looks terrifying

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm always curious about the soaking wet hockey pitches. Looks like the Amex, but with someone forgetting to turn the taps off.

I understand the pitches are probably like that to keep the ball moving quick and stop it, and possibly the stick?, from sticking, but how comes the players seem to stay on their feet so well with a completely soaking wet pitch?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
She's not a skinhead with tattoos - she suffers from alopecia. That's what's left of her hair.

She's a tough cookie: she used to be a bobsleigher, a sport that looks terrifying

Fair play, sorry didn't know that. Are they not tats on her head then?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Dan Walker
mrdanwalker
Update on Annemiek van Vleuten. She's in intensive care with severe concussion & 3 'small' fractures in her back #Brutal #RoadRace #Olympics
10:20 p.m. - 7 August 2016

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Scotland lose the tennis.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
tv coverage here is piss poor......not on foxtel , only on ch 7 and the satelite link must be a bit of string.....meh
We've got about 8 BBC channels in HD on it.

Right now they're massively overdoing the Adam Peaty show. Far too much pressure, but hopefully he can handle it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here