Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Games of the XXXI Olympiad

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Watching the final few minutes of Brazil v Sth Africa. The Brazilian full back is called Zeca.

I watched it delayed after the Mo Farah documentary, amazed Brazil have allowed Neymar to play. Brazil looked every bit as bad as they did in the World Cup which is a crying shame.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
According to the BBC, Brazil officials are taking an interesting position already on security:

"There's a fair few reports of long queues around Olympic Park, and Brazilian journalist Breno Pires is claiming that x-ray machines have been turned off to try and cut down "two hour" waiting times."

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Amazing swim from Peaty.......smashed the world record in his first heat.

Great swim. We need an early gold as we're currently behind Vietnam in the medal table.

Shame about the cycling road race, but there's always plenty more to come in the velodrome...

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I watched some of Heather Watson's game yesterday. Reminded my of the old Playstation tennis games where you started out at your local court. 10 men and a dog watching, no Hawkeye, terrible camera position. And despite people keep telling me how intricate the tactics are, I will never get long distance cycling events. Amazing physical feat but they could almost do without 90% of it. Your turn to lead. Now your turn. After you Maude. I'll run away for a bit. OK, now you can catch me up. Definitely one for the purists. A time trial over the same distance would make more sense to me but then it really isn't my sport.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I watched some of Heather Watson's game yesterday. Reminded my of the old Playstation tennis games where you started out at your local court. 10 men and a dog watching, no Hawkeye, terrible camera position. And despite people keep telling me how intricate the tactics are, I will never get long distance cycling events. Amazing physical feat but they could almost do without 90% of it. Your turn to lead. Now your turn. After you Maude. I'll run away for a bit. OK, now you can catch me up. Definitely one for the purists. A time trial over the same distance would make more sense to me but then it really isn't my sport.

Have to agree re the cycling. I enjoyed watching it but it completely baffles me all the tactics & shite like that - makes very little sense to me. Just get on your bikes, ride as fast as possible & whoever comes first is the winner..!

French gymnast bust his leg doing a vault, horrible break too.

They only went and dropped the stretcher when putting him in the ambulance.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Have to agree re the cycling. I enjoyed watching it but it completely baffles me all the tactics & shite like that - makes very little sense to me. Just get on your bikes, ride as fast as possible & whoever comes first is the winner..!

Except it is impossible to ride on your own and win, hence the tactics. Try riding on your own and in a group with others and see which expends the less energy.

Except it is impossible to ride on your own and win, hence the tactics. Try riding on your own and in a group with others and see which expends the less energy.

It's not you know.

It's bloody hard but can be done, in 1991 somebody broke away and finished 16km in front.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
But surely if they were all riding on their own (one entrant per country perhaps), we'd see who was the best on their own merit rather than who was the handpicked member of the best energy-conserving team?

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

You use around 30-40 less energy in another rider's slipstream which is why they ride as teams so as to give best rider as long as poss in a group before he or she has to break - see Froome's descent stage win in TdF,

Secret to waching road cycling for the non geek is to find out when it starts, then start watching around 3 hours afterwards; if it is still boring - one small breakwaway group and huge peleton 3 minutes behind - come back in 20 minutes, then repeat until at worst you get the sprint finish.

The time trail is a better test of one against the rest but watching paint dry is fascinating by comparison.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Good to have a great British swim already to show to my Chinese swimmers. Hoping for lots of medals from the team so my videos can be nicely biased.

Basketball and Football fun too. Expect they'll be lots of Ping Pong and Badminton on TV here so I'll be trying to catch the British streams with VPN

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Seriously, why do female sports stars agree to pose for pictures like this? I realise it's entirely her choice and none of my business, but what's the thought process that goes on?

£ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £ £

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Can't believe I am sat here watching fencing. British guy 1 camp stab away from the semis.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Can't believe I am sat here watching fencing. British guy 1 camp stab away from the semis.
And he does it! So much fun watching men dancing around and waiting for a light to come on so I know what the hell is happening.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here