Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The FA Cup starts THIS Saturday....,,

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Well it IS the tie of the round!!

Seriously though I like to see a good crowd at any non league club, a 500 job when they normally get 120 gives me a warm glow!

Decent little earner for both clubs. As I have nothing to do on Saturday I will may find a game and whats not to love about a local derby in the cup!?!

Crowborough will be lucky to get 50 I reckon. Which is a real shame as the club were starting to get some movement in the right direction. Averaged 180 last season, granted that was skewed slightly by some big crowds during the Vase run but a lot better than the 60s and 70s we were getting the season before.

Anyway.....does anyone know whats happened to the brilliant http://www.footballsussex.co.uk website? Has he packed up?

One of the exceptions being Tunbridge Wells, from Kent :wink:

Well there you go, however it's turned out to be more "Sussex" than Crowborough v Lingfield. (And on the right day)

The other exception is Walton n 'ersham, Mile Oak are taking a COUCH up there so should be a laugh.

I deliberately left out Loxwood though, as God knows where that is!!!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Well there you go, however it's turned out to be more "Sussex" than Crowborough v Lingfield. (And on the right day)

The other exception is Walton n 'ersham, Mile Oak are taking a COUCH up there so should be a laugh.

I deliberately left out Loxwood though, as God knows where that is!!!

I had to look up Hassocks opponents, Hollands & Blair - sounds like a solicitors or a fancy soap.
Turns out they are from Gillingham.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I had to look up Hassocks opponents, Hollands & Blair - sounds like a solicitors or a fancy soap.
Turns out they are from Gillingham.

They are an old factory team apparently. Correct about Gillingham. Based on the main road in (opposite the golf club) not a million miles away from that delightful crap hole we called home for a couple of seasons. Aside from the pitch it's a nice little setup they have there. Their social club is very popular, would appear that not many of its patrons are interested in watching step 5 football though.

If Crowborough get through I'll be hoping Hassocks get a result on Saturday as give me a jaunt down to Hassocks over a trip to Gillingham every day of the week.

Is Paul Rogers still involved at Hassocks does anyone know?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
They are an old factory team apparently. Correct about Gillingham. Based on the main road in (opposite the golf club) not a million miles away from that delightful crap hole we called home for a couple of seasons. Aside from the pitch it's a nice little setup they have there. Their social club is very popular, would appear that not many of its patrons are interested in watching step 5 football though.

If Crowborough get through I'll be hoping Hassocks get a result on Saturday as give me a jaunt down to Hassocks over a trip to Gillingham every day of the week.

Is Paul Rogers still involved at Hassocks does anyone know?

Good luck to Crowborough and Hassocks.
I know the Gillingham area very well as I have got family in Rainham, and watched a fair few Albion games at Priestfield, not my favourite part of the country.
Never heard of that football club before today though.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Worthing Utd v Steyning Town for me :drink:

Maine Road v Winsford United, four GBG pubs in Chorlton then two in Mancester after the game.

A top notch matc, although I'm more of a red so it'd be where FC United were playing however in this early stage I'd be at West Didsbury & Chorlton. I love the Lloyds (the Bee Gees went to school opposite in Oswald Rd. y'know!) although a spit and sawdust for the Lees Crystal drinker can be found amongst the tracksuits of The Spread Eagle opposite. I love that part of Manchester.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Crowborough 2 - 0 Lingfield

Far from a classic but we got the job done in the end.

Lingfield clearly came with a plan and that was to try and disrupt the game as much as possible and it worked for them. To be honest if anything they were the better side for the first 15 minutes. Their game plan was obvious due to the fact from the first whistle their bench (manager, assistant and physio) were on at the referee about every challenge. It got quite embarrassing in the end. Sadly that attitude was passed down to the players. Don't get me wrong Crowborough were no angels either and players that should know better were getting involved in things they didn't need to but begging for a card to be shown after every tackle just makes you look like a right berk.

After about 20 minutes Crowborough woke up a bit and started to get on top but without ever really threatening the Lingfield goal. About 25 in Crowborough won a very soft penalty. That said I really don't know what the centre half was trying to do. Carrington was with his back to goal in not a massively threatening position and tried to turn the defender who instead of just standing him up put his arm around his shoulder. Carra stayed on his feet but the ref gave the pen. Cue all their team surrounding the ref and a volley of abuse from the bench. They could have saved their breath though as Atwood carried on from where he left off last season and had it saved.

Nothing else really happened for the rest of the half until just before half time. New lad Phipp went up for a header on the half way line and went down clutching his face. The game carried on but when it did stop the game became a bit of a farce for a minute or two. All bar the Lingfield goalkeeper and the injured Phipp got involved in handbags. Crowborough Physio came on and by the time she got to Phipp he was up on his feet and chasing after the lad he clashed with. To be fair to Phipp he had been caught and had a nasty gash across his eyebrow. He jogged into the changing rooms so I was hopeful he might return as he'd had quite a good game up until then.

Just before half time Carrington had a shot from a corner deflect on to the post and that was probably the closest the game had come to a goal up to that point. Half time 0-0.

During the break Phipp appeared in his civvies doing his best Terry Butcher impression and was being carted off to hospital to have his head stuck back together.

Second half was more of the same to be honest. Crowborough the more dominant but not really threatening and Lingfield's bench continuing to make themselves look like moany little girls. 20 minutes to go they really did have something to moan about. Crowborough had a corner on the left, wasn't a great delivery, was low at the near post. The defender on the post made a mess of his clearance and it fell to another new boy Reece Connolly (at Whitehawk last season so I'm told?) who's shot was adjudged to have crossed the line by the lino on the far side. I was in the main stand so have no idea if it was in and to be fair there were a lot of bodies between the ball and the linesman so it would have been difficult to see....unless it was miles over of course. This prompted mass protests from Lingfield and resulted in one of their players being sent off.

Once the game settled down again Lingfield gave it a go for 5 minutes but soon ran out of puff. Crowborough had a couple of chances to put the game to bed but fluffed their lines on each occasion. The worst being when Tom Pearson was through on the keeper but with a very tight angle. All he had to do was square the ball for Atwood who could tap it in to an empty net but he decided to shoot and only caused the side netting an issue. A minute or so later Crowborough did get their second though. Sam Crabb who had been excellent all night got down the left and rolled the ball behind the also excellent Carrington, with his back to goal he simply back-heeled the ball past the keeper. Tough one to call who I would have given MOM to but it certainly would have been between those two.

Job done! As I mentioned earlier in the week Crowborough will now go to either Hassocks or Hollands & Blair in the next round in a couple of weeks.

One last thing to add is as much as I want Crowborough back in the town ASAP I was very impressed with the ground and particularly the pitch at Maidstone. Its certainly the best 3G surface I've seen. If Crowborough do get theirs sorted and its of similar standard then the hassle of a 50 mile round trip (my usual round trip to a home game is about 50 yards!) will be worth it. I also found a decent pub just a short stroll from the ground so maybe it won't be all bad.

Oh and one more last thing....I did the club a disservice saying we'd be lucky to get 50. I was told it was closer to 150, that did include a sizeable number from Lingfield and quite a few locals. Not sure how many of the latter will come back as it certainly wasn't a carnival of football, I guess we'll see next Saturday.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Monsoon like conditions and flippers needed as three bridges beat YM 2-0

YM missed a penalty and three bridges very physical and organised and deserve the win

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Newhaven v Peacehaven finished 0-0.
Shorts and t-shirt weather at kick off, the heavens opened about 10 minutes before the final whistle.
Blue sky and sunshine again now in Newhaven.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Great to see you, we had a laugh and even at this early stage a replay can be a "money spinner" if all the locals get involved

Not sure what the actual attendance was today, but not a bad crowd, hopefully there will be a decent turn out for the replay.
Shame about the no drinking outside the club house rules, the bar is far too small at Newhaven's ground.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here