Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The establishment and historic child sex abuse

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Does anyone else think this should go to "other place?" Perhaps the title could be changed to more accurately reflect its contents?

I think the mods do a pretty good job of ensuring threads are in the right forum. Other clubs tend to fragment too much - an example of this was the Celtic messageboard that has the thread about Kayal coming to us in the "foreign football section" and not in the Celtic main chat.

clungemeister

Jan 11, 2015
I get very suspicious when someone who has recently joined or has a very low post count weighs in with something like this. We had quite a few of them on the Ched Evans thread taking combative standpoints - nothing wrong with voicing an opinion though.

I'm interested in the points made. Firstly, you may (or may not) be new round here but one of the joys of this forum is that it's probably 20-25% football. You can find out what the best Chinese in Brighton is, the board's favourite Rolling Stones album, what's going on in the city, Brighton best pub and even the hardest animal. In this thread there is a chronolgical source of information about what is shaping up to be the biggest scandal to ever occur in this country. If this goes where we think it goes, this will lead to unthinkable consequences for the future leadership of this country. In this year, when you are going to be asked to vote in a general election, I reckon its pretty important to have a handle on what's going on here.

Your issue of causing offence is worthy of consideration. The last thing that anyone on this thread wants to do is make things any harder for survivors but to use the offence argument to further a point about showing a pair of breasts on this forum is crass in the extreme.

Does anyone else think this should go to "other place?" Perhaps the title could be changed to more accurately reflect its contents?

i used to post as sydney....been posting since 2003 if that's any help....my account got wiped out for some "unknown" reason a couple of weeks ago...!!

i agree with everything you said except the breast thing....carry on.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
i used to post as sydney....been posting since 2003 if that's any help....my account got wiped out for some "unknown" reason a couple of weeks ago...!!

i agree with everything you said except the breast thing....carry on.

Welcome back sydney, I thought I (sadly) recognised the style. Might I say your taste in avatars remains impeccible.

clungemeister

Jan 11, 2015
We wouldn't know about it if not for open & protracted debate on the internet for the last few years. Would that be better?
You don't have to read it, btw

didn't it all start with jimmy saville...?? 18 months ago ....please correct me if i'm wrong....the only reason i'm so sure is i went to a fancy dress party dressed as the fecker....i'm still living it down......:ffs: :facepalm:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
didn't it all start with jimmy saville...?? 18 months ago ....please correct me if i'm wrong....the only reason i'm so sure is i went to a fancy dress party dressed as the fecker....i'm still living it down......:ffs: :facepalm:

Saville died getting on for for 3 and a half years ago.

This process is long, arduous and complex. This is why an air of general public awareness is important. I think we can accept a lot of impropiety from our institutions - expenses scandal, phone hacking, etc.... but organised and insitutionalised child abuse facilitated by the state over 40 or 50 years? - There'd be a revolution if everyone were exposed to the facts.

Just imagine for a second, you had a child and you and the child's mother died and there was no one to look after that child. Would you trust our insitiutions as they stand to do it?

We should be ashamed of ourselves as a nation for allowing this to continue.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
The idea that we shouldn't be talking about this because it's upsetting is a major reason for those guilty getting away with it for so long. I know some people involved & the one thing they all want to do is talk about it
*edit* & have people in general talking about it

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Whilst I'm on my soapbox - there is one simple thing I think we could all bring pressure to bear on that I think would help.

Were you aware that childrens homes and the such like are under no obligation to keep records of children that go missing? We have absolutely how no idea how many children have gone missing from care, let alone who they are?

Wouldn't that be the first thing you'd look to do with the allegations that are currently flying about?

Flex Your Head

What a coincidence; I looked at the thread title today as I was on the train heading home with incredibly s l o w mobile reception, and as I waited for the most recent page to load, I thought the thread needed a name change. How about "The Establishment and Historic Child Sex Abuse" or something similar?

I think it definitely needs to stay on The Big Board; no-one is forcing anyone to click on the thread, and with a new title no-one can say they didn't know what subject it was going to be covering.

Last edited:

thisistips

Oct 17, 2010
Away away away
I get very suspicious when someone who has recently joined or has a very low post count weighs in with something like this. We had quite a few of them on the Ched Evans thread taking combative standpoints - nothing wrong with voicing an opinion though.

I'm interested in the points made. Firstly, you may (or may not) be new round here but one of the joys of this forum is that it's probably 20-25% football. You can find out what the best Chinese in Brighton is, the board's favourite Rolling Stones album, what's going on in the city, Brighton best pub and even the hardest animal. In this thread there is a chronolgical source of information about what is shaping up to be the biggest scandal to ever occur in this country. If this goes where we think it goes, this will lead to unthinkable consequences for the future leadership of this country. In this year, when you are going to be asked to vote in a general election, I reckon its pretty important to have a handle on what's going on here.

Your issue of causing offence is worthy of consideration. The last thing that anyone on this thread wants to do is make things any harder for survivors but to use the offence argument to further a point about showing a pair of breasts on this forum is crass in the extreme.

I've thought about it hard for 2 mins. No it should not move. Too important.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Absolutely. Leave where it is. Could do with name change though as it has moved on from Rolf.

Absolutely innapropriate to have Rolf still in the title.

Rolf is scumbag for what he did, but to link him with the some of the stuff which is being talked about later in the thread is like linking someone found guilty of assault with a bunch of serial killers.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
He's gone to the trouble of finding my posts on other threads just to thumb me down.
Obviously I've returned the favour.

Good man
(Twenty more now, the sad sack really should get out more - nice thread to do it on too, especially straight back from a ban...)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here