Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The establishment and historic child sex abuse

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford
Have you noticed that some papers are going for this more than others?

Decent level of coverage - Telegraph, The Mail, Express and The Independent

Barely Adequate - Guardian

Crisis, what Crisis - Sun & Times

Makes me wonder who else has got something to hide.

Is anyone able to say what sort of coverage this is getting globally? Couldn't a foreign paper go to print with names and circumnavigate our libel laws?

Absolutely,

I think the Guardian has got better. I was told it had reader comments relating to its perceived lack of coverage.

I feel lots of readers don't want to talk about this subject. Not only is it uncomfortable there is also a stigma that this sort of news can be perceived as lower class witch hunt.

Remember news wipe when Scholfield presented the list to Cameron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMB0OHX3neA

Granted its funny and it does have a very good point about trial by internet. However, I think an investigation is required especially considering the missing documents, the number of victims providing information and so many unanswered questions.

It makes it even more important that the inquiry is headed by someone who is trusted by the victims.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Slightly OT, but related in a way.
A few years ago, the local paper where my sister lives printed the names of some people charged with possessing indecent images of children on their computers. This was after the big sting in the U.S where I belive it may have been the FBI, set up a web-site to catch paedophiles. She was shocked to see the name of her boss, the head of a large motor parts company based in Bicester. (She was a manager in sales & purchasing).
She was sickened by this & confronted him about it. He said it was a mistake, but the news article stated that those named were caught as their credit card details were passed to British Police by the U.S authorities. He ended up being prosecuted & fined, placed on the sex offenders register. When other employees made dispariging remarks about him, (graffiti) he blamed my sister, even though it was in the papers for all to read.
To cut a long story short, some drama about her work performance was made up & she was "let go" with 3 months salary. (Much to her relief as it meant she she could leave as planned, but with some cash behind her).
My point is, that if someone holds a position of power, they pretty much believe they are in the right, no matter what they are caught doing. If you speak up against them, they use their power to try & silence you.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
The media have picked up on the Sussex inquiry and it's inaccuracies.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...d-over-previous-flawed-paedophile-report.html

Also, the BBC just interviewed a victim who went to her during that inquiry. He said she convinced him to agree that she would not name a Bishop who had assaulted him because she "did not want to give the media a Bishop". Apparently she justified this by adding that it would distract from his two other abusers, but he also said clearly she cared about the reputation of the Church and that was a reason she wanted to leave the Bishop's name out of it.

That is EXACTLY the activity that is unacceptable.

When she steps down, I think her successor should start by investigating her for that!

This is so messed up.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Surely her position is untenable before she's even started. I'd like to see someone from a journalistic background involved in the investigation to ensure no further establishment cover ups.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The media have picked up on the Sussex inquiry and it's inaccuracies.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...d-over-previous-flawed-paedophile-report.html

Also, the BBC just interviewed a victim who went to her during that inquiry. He said she convinced him to agree that she would not name a Bishop who had assaulted him because she "did not want to give the media a Bishop". Apparently she justified this by adding that it would distract from his two other abusers, but he also said clearly she cared about the reputation of the Church and that was a reason she wanted to leave the Bishop's name out of it.

That is EXACTLY the activity that is unacceptable.

When she steps down, I think her successor should start by investigating her for that!

This is so messed up.

Having lived in Sedlescombe for a number of years where this vile scum was vicar what amazes me to this day is that there's "parishioners" who are still blinkered to his vile acts and say what a lovely man he is.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Surely her position is untenable before she's even started. I'd like to see someone from a journalistic background involved in the investigation to ensure no further establishment cover ups.

I agree, it really does need to be someone unconnected to any institution of Government, someone totally independent. I also think it would help if it was someone people know and trust too. It's hard to think who could do it though.

Actually your suggestion of a someone with a journalistic background is a good one, there are some great journalists out there, and they would have the skills needed.

I would pick someone like Greg Palast. Doesn't seem that they really want to get to the truth though does it.

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
They don't think we could handle the truth.
They will throw an elderly celeb to the wolves,but they will never string up a live politician.
That is how corrupt Britain is.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
They don't think we could handle the truth.
They will throw an elderly celeb to the wolves,but they will never string up a live politician.
That is how corrupt Britain is.

Sadly enough I think you are right. How many bankers have gone to prison for the various frauds exposed over the last few years?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I agree, it really does need to be someone unconnected to any institution of Government, someone totally independent. I also think it would help if it was someone people know and trust too. It's hard to think who could do it though.

Actually your suggestion of a someone with a journalistic background is a good one, there are some great journalists out there, and they would have the skills needed.

I would pick someone like Greg Palast. Doesn't seem that they really want to get to the truth though does it.

I also believe it should have complete laymen on the investigation. They should be vetted but come from an educated background who can understand the process but have no hidden agenda. True Jo public types granted the authority to ask some very awkward questions of everyone, every organisation and so on.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011

I might be missing something but didn't Nigel Havers start doing the rounds yesterday with the major media outlets BBC, ITV etc saying, and im paraphrasing here "my auntie will leave no stone unturned!"

What more do you need!?

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013

Is anyone able to say what sort of coverage this is getting globally? Couldn't a foreign paper go to print with names and circumnavigate our libel laws?

The Times, through their columinsts, are if anything going out of their way to play all this down. Very odd for the newspaper that was by far and away the most active when it came to Muslims in northern towns grooming young girls and selling them around their communities for sex

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
The last Question Time of the summer in Inverness and the core subject is Scottish independence. Doesn't appear as if anything regarding some of the points from this thread will be raised. That's a pity.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast

This would read so much better if alongside it there wasn't an ad asking me to contact "Thai Ladies"... and no doubt they are of a certain appropriate age. Clean this site up Bozza.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here