Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Palace] The dumping ground for posts made by Palace fans on non-Palace threads

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
A town near Charlotte, NC
Firstly isn't Gayle born in 1990? That makes him 23 not 21. Secondly, 7 PL goals in 23 games doesn't make him Messi does it? Thirdly, why are you commenting on a Albion striker, go and discuss Caravan's with your mates...

Gayle only made 8 starts. His minutes to goals ratio, had he maintained it for a full season, would have netted him 24. If he'd been afforded the opportunity to have as many shots on goal throughout the season as Suarez, his accuracy rating would have yielded 53 goals, theoretically of course.

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
Ulloa averages 0.46 goals per game in the Championship while Dwight averaged 0.45. Dwight scored 13 goals in 29 games while Ulloa has 23 goals in 50 games.

They had almost identical scoring records despite Gayle being 21 years old compared to Ulloa at 27, while Dwight was playing in a much worse (albeit more attacking) team.

Gayle was bought for £6m (which seems a good deal now) because he has a tremendous amount of potential. Going from non-league football to being a club's top scorer in the Premier League in under two years is rather impressive. They're different types of player, granted, but I don't think Ulloa is as good at the moment and the gap is only going to get wider.
How is Dwight at defending free kicks and corners?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Wahey :dunce:

Carry on everybody.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
How is Dwight at defending free kicks and corners?

From what I saw last season, not that good. Its his work off the ball that needs working on when on the ball around the area his mustard!! Ulloa is more of a worker all over the pitch and his defending is good..but TBH they are totally different type of players and should not be compared.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Gayle only made 8 starts. His minutes to goals ratio, had he maintained it for a full season, would have netted him 24. If he'd been afforded the opportunity to have as many shots on goal throughout the season as Suarez, his accuracy rating would have yielded 53 goals, theoretically of course.

Your trying to say Gayle is better than Suarez aren't you?

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
From what I saw last season, not that good. Its his work off the ball that needs working on when on the ball around the area his mustard!! Ulloa is more of a worker all over the pitch and his defending is good..but TBH they are totally different type of players and should not be compared.
Precisely.

Murray and Ulloa you could compare, but not Gayle and Ulloa.

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
Your trying to say Gayle is better than Suarez aren't you?

Not at all, just giving some perspective to the original stats in the quote. I thought this relevant as some of you are looking at Ulloa's transfer value in relation to Gayle's when he was sold. Which, although I'm a Palace fan, I thought added more value to the thread than the subsequent 'Nigels' comment.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Here's an attempt:
Murray is very good at almost everything, without searing pace, but also a great team player i.e. in his case, holding the ball up and assists/chances created for others. Great in defence at set pieces.

Ulloa also great at heading, but slow, appears heavy and his arguments with referees waste his energy and only serve to annoy them.

Gayle, pace and power which is very common in the PL anyway. Not a lot else. Over-hyped for 10 minutes against LFC, which still didn't yield 3 home points. He had a poor season overall and in no way justified a fraction of his transfer fee.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Here's an attempt:
Gayle, pace and power which is very common in the PL anyway. Not a lot else. Over-hyped for 10 minutes against LFC, which still didn't yield 3 home points. He had a poor season overall and in no way justified a fraction of his transfer fee.

Pace, power, and not a lot else? No mention of his world class finishing ability? Gayle had the lowest "touches per goal" ratio in the Premier League last year. His incredible goal away to Villa, single handedly earning us a massive 3 points at a vital time, was almost worth £6m in itself. His performances towards the end of last season not only justified his transfer fee, but made it look like a bargain. Gayle is worth far more than £6m now.

Your attempt to play down the incredible result against Liverpool is frankly hilarious. You are so bitter it's unreal :moo:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

:fishing: caught one reasonably sized one so far! :thumbsup:

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
Another thread turned into a potential binfest by the usual trolls

:shit:

albionite

May 20, 2009
Isn't this thread about Ulloa going to Southampton and not how much the nigels over paid for Gayle. Bloody annoying how many threads they derail and make it about them.

Should be a 1 month ban for each member that posts on a thread not about them.

Isn't this thread about Ulloa going to Southampton and not how much the nigels over paid for Gayle. Bloody annoying how many threads they derail and make it about them.

Yes it was, but I'm afraid the mere mention of Gayle has prompted the lovely Palace fans to mount a staunch defence of their player thus causing the inevitable de-rail.

If they started their own about Gayle being worth more than Leo then fair enough, but no they simply want to get a reaction.

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
But he didn't did he?

Presumably, that's why I included the word 'theoretically' in the post.

At this point, most comparisons between Gayle and and Ulloa have to be theoretical. Gayle is a Premier League player, whereas Ulloa is not, and unless he does depart from the Amex in this transfer window, will remain so for the foreseeable future.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here