Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The dominant club in Manchester

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Having spent a fair chunk of my youth in Manchester I think I can comment on this.

Contrary to popular belief there are a large amount of United fans who live in the area. It's still pretty hard to get a season ticket due to their strong local fan base. I also find it hard to say whether one club is more dominant than the other. City may be doing a bit better on the pitch but Old Trafford remains a way better atmospheric ground than the Etihad (which is also in an absolute shithole of an area).

I agree club support is very polarised by where you live (Stockport is a blue town, but Didsbury next door is mainly red) so it's really hard to tell which group of fans are dominant but United remain a better supported club with a bigger fan base - most of which is local.
Spot on re the area around the Etihad although there's a lot of money gone in to housing projects around there. It is strange how pockets of Manchester have a strong allegiance one way or the other. My wife is from Failsworth and that's largely blue. There is real rivalry but nothing like the hatred between United and Liverpool.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
This sounds very much like similar bollocks that was said 10 years ago about them imploding within the decade.

They'll acquire fans from all corners of the country, and globe before they seat any less than 40k from this point forward.

They were never going to implode were they, but to suggest they're anything other than an Aston Villa sized club as opposed to having the fanbase enjoyed by clubs like United or Arsenal doesn't wash. On top of that you could argue that with their new found riches City have lost some of the soul that made them the antithesis of United.

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
They were never going to implode were they, but to suggest they're anything other than an Aston Villa sized club as opposed to having the fanbase enjoyed by clubs like United or Arsenal doesn't wash. On top of that you could argue that with their new found riches City have lost some of the soul that made them the antithesis of United.

I managed to get a ticket to see them at Maine Road in League 1 or equivalent of. It was sold out and they lost 1-0 to Reading of all teams. Villa Park is half empty now, will be worse in the championship and the year after when they are in League 1 will probably get 10,000 max. They are not remotely comparable with Aston Villa.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
They've just pulled in Guardiola which is being talked about all over the world. I know a 'soccer' fan at work who has recently switched his alliegance from bayern for that reason alone. You may not like to imagine things like this happening, since we perceive them as quite bizarre, but they very much do.

This is true. I remember an American Bell Cheese on Twitter a couple of years ago who was saying how he had seen which players clubs had signed and now "had his teams for this season good to go!" (Chelsea and Real Madrid).

Also, a mate of mine plays 5 a side and said there was one lad who always turned up in a Man U shirt. Except after they lost the Champions League final to Barcelona when the following week he was wearing a Barca shirt.

These people do actually exist unfortunately.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
d9e433a5714a0b36ca43c918e0e65e0a.jpg

And isn't it wonderful to know that those fans have that scarf as a souvenir of the Stains' 1-0 win?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here