Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The dominant club in Manchester

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
When you say dominant. Are you talking about a team who are 12 points from the top who sit precariously at 4th in the league?

Or are you talking about a team who are just 4 points above Man United?

I think he's talking about the club who won the League Cup a couple of weeks ago and are in the QF of the Champions League.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
When you say dominant, are you talking about a team who are 12 points from the top sitting precariously at 4th in the league?

You are starting to sound awfully like someone who has a '2nd team' :nono:

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
When you say dominant, are you talking about a team who are 12 points from the top sitting precariously at 4th in the league?

Yes, yes I am. What with having been the most successful team in Manchester for the last few years, including this year, I don't think it's an ureasonable claim.

Also not sure what 12 points off the top has to do with it, no-one is saying they're the dominant club nationwide.
I think he's talking about the club who won the League Cup a couple of weeks ago and are in the QF of the Champions League.
See, this fine example of a human being gets it.

Don't let [MENTION=15922]Working class pride[/MENTION] read that, he'll have a coronary.

I've long since come to conclusion that WCP sees football, and the relative 'size' of the clubs (plus the expectations attached to them), in a very different manner to myself.

Attendance means next to nothing, there, I said it!

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Yes, yes I am. What with having been the most successful team in Manchester for the last few years, including this year, I don't think it's an ureasonable claim.

Also not sure what 12 points off the top has to do with it, no-one is saying they're the dominant club nationwide.

See, this fine example of a human being gets it.

I've long since come to conclusion that WCP sees football, and the relative 'size' of the clubs (plus the expectations attached to them), in a very different manner to myself.

Attendance means next to nothing, there, I said it!

In the last 7 years, Man U have won the title 3 times, where as City have won it twice. Too early to say City are the 'dominate' team.

Seriously. Can we please stop this debate because i'm finding myself defending Manchester United! After this, I really need to take a long look at myself. I never thought this would ever happen to me.

I apologise.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
In the last 7 years, Man U have won the title 3 times, where as City have won it twice. Too early to say City are the 'dominate' team.

Seriously. Can we please stop this debate because i'm finding myself defending Manchester United! After this, I really need to take a long look at myself. I never thought this would ever happen to me.

I apologise.

I guess it depends over how long a timeframe you want to attach to the claim of dominance (I'm not being argumentative, this is now more like football theory which I do enjoy).

For example, and correct me if I'm wrong, over the last 5 years City have won more trophies than United, with 2 leagues apiece.

This for me shows a changing of the guard where United have been the top dogs for a long time, then held pace for a bit, now City look to be pulling away. If they're not the dominant Manchester team yet I don't think it'll be too far away.

I'm sure you'll now disagree due to your obvious burning love for the Manchester Red Devils...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Burnley will be if they win the Championship!?

Well, geographically a bit hopeful I guess...

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I guess it depends over how long a timeframe you want to attach to the claim of dominance (I'm not being argumentative, this is now more like football theory which I do enjoy).

For example, and correct me if I'm wrong, over the last 5 years City have won more trophies than United, with 2 leagues apiece.

This for me shows a changing of the guard where United have been the top dogs for a long time, then held pace for a bit, now City look to be pulling away. If they're not the dominant Manchester team yet I don't think it'll be too far away.

I'm sure you'll now disagree due to your obvious burning love for the Manchester Red Devils...

What on earth is this 'Dominate Manchester team' stuff all about?

Since when did Manchester have its own league?

I'd expect Sky sports to claim a team who might not even qualify for the Champions league next season , to be dominate.

But I really didn't expect it from NSC?

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
City's run of a couple of seasons without winning the title does come at an inconvenient time in that the way the seedings for the Champions League has changed to ensure that Pot 1 in the draw is now exclusively made up of the league winners of the 8 highest ranked leagues in Europe, regardless of their previous performance in the competition.

Over the years, as they have tried to establish themselves in European competition, under the previous seedings process, they kept being put in pot 3 or 4 and consequently often landed up in the Group of Death in the first phase. Even this season, although they qualified as group winners, drawing last year's runners-up and the holders of the Europa League in their group was not a kind draw. Were they to win the league, it gives them better scope to avoid the heavyweights early on.

You would expect that Guardiola will come in, get rid of the deadwood, augment other areas of the squad and make them the team to beat next season and over the next few years, all the while they have their backing, they are going to be front-runners, whereas there is more uncertainty for the time being at Old Trafford.

That said, I think we could be entering a period where other teams enter the equation and I particularly think we could be entering an era that could be quite London-centric in the top flight, where West Ham's move to the Olympic Stadium places them among teams that will expect to be finishing in the top 6 on a regular basis, along with 3 other London clubs.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
What on earth is this 'Dominate Manchester team' stuff all about?

Since when did Manchester have its own league?

I'd expect Sky sports to claim a team who might not even qualify for the Champions league next season , to be dominate.

But I really didn't expect it from NSC?

Now now, you know NSC is diverse in its subject matter, from debating the comparative size of two local rivals to official match day threads to horse racing, it's all fair game. Drawing comparisons between the devil that is Sky Sports marketing and your fellow posters is a smidge below the belt, that we're all on here in the first place shows it not to be the case.

To that end, it was the topic of the thread and I thought it'd be fun to join in with, so let's not deviate from the fun discussion we were having.

Unless you want to admit your beloved Class of '92 producing Newton Heath are now the also rans of course?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Now now, you know NSC is diverse in its subject matter, from debating the comparative size of two local rivals to official match day threads to horse racing, it's all fair game.

To that end, it was the topic of the thread and I thought it'd be fun to join in with, so let's not deviate from the fun discussion we were having.

Unless you want to admit your beloved Class of '92 producing Newton Heath are now the also rans of course?

So if I go by the stats, which show MAn City aren't quite yet 'dominating'. I'm deemed a United fan who for some reason also enjoys that cheesy United documentary where they all look like they're about to cry?

You got me in one.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Both clubs have little or no relevance to my life, so I don't really give a shit.

I'll comment anyway.

I went on a stadium tour of Old Trafford with my son (his club organised it, the coach is a fan of United) it was a bit of an eye opener. There were about 10 tours going on at any one time, with 30/40 people on each tour, so that's about 400 people every hour. This was going on throughout the day. I would estimate that 80% of those on the tour were oriental. Seems that OT is on the Jap/China tourist route.

I'm not certain because I've not been there, but I have my doubts that Man City are as popular abroad.

That stadium tour flannel is an industry in itself!

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
So if I go by the stats, which show MAn City aren't quite yet 'dominating'. I'm deemed a United fan who for some reason also enjoys that cheesy United documentary where they all look like they're about to cry?

You got me in one.

No need to break out the snippy, each reference that I made to your clear love of the boys in red was made after your earlier post (#27 I believe) where you felt irritated at your own appearance as a United fan, not before.

It was my hope that my increasingly daft ways of describing the heart-rending yearning you have to sit in the SAF stand cheering on the boys would indicate it was light-hearted recognition of your comment.

Now, assuming that clears that up, back to the football theory side of things.

Which stats are you using and over what time frame? How are you defining what an appropriate timeframe is to show dominance?

Let's debate this into the wee hours, wrapped in our respective blankets (mine an Albion one, yours United, obviously) until we finally get to an answer we agree on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here