Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The disallowed goal

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You're not alone. there are a number of people on the match thread who were similarly confused.

I must admit that before it was explained on Optus Sport I was similarly misinformed about the direction of the ball.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
What advantage was gained by him being in an offside position? None as far as i could see as he had to go backwards to get the ball.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
That has never been the rule. The direction the ball travels is not relevant and never has been.

That's not true, previously (probably longer than i think) if the ball was kicked backwards you were not offside.
Hence why in seasons gone by wingers made a point of getting as close to the (by) line before crossing.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Must admit that I thought the backwards rule had and did still apply. That was why I understood that you couldn't be offside if you scored direct from a corner.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Have to say that in the 50 odd years that I've been following football I've never been aware of a rule that stated you're not offside if the ball is going backwards. This set of circumstances is extremely rare on the football field which has probably led to the confusion.

As soon as they showed the first replay I knew it would be disallowed for offside.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Must admit that I thought the backwards rule had and did still apply. That was why I understood that you couldn't be offside if you scored direct from a corner.

Not being offside at a corner is just one of the three exceptions, the others being throw in and goal kick, nothing to do with the direction of the ball.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Not being offside at a corner is just one of the three exceptions, the others being throw in and goal kick, nothing to do with the direction of the ball.

Thanks Drew, really didn’t know that -

sorry quoted the wrong post - meant the ball going backwards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That's not true, previously (probably longer than i think) if the ball was kicked backwards you were not offside.
Hence why in seasons gone by wingers made a point of getting as close to the (by) line before crossing.

But getting close to the byline means it’s unlikely any team mate will be ahead of the ball, and therefore offside, as opposed to anything to do with the direction of the ball.

I’m not convinced the law has ever included direction of the ball, I believe it was just a widely held misunderstanding but this should be easy to find out by looking at early laws. For the record it was a misunderstanding I once held as well.

cobbyseagull

Jul 31, 2008
More to the point, is that looking back at it think both players actually kick the ball, think Moder and defender touch it. The slightest touch first from defender would of meant not offside.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
But getting close to the byline means it’s unlikely any team mate will be ahead of the ball, and therefore offside, as opposed to anything to do with the direction of the ball.

I’m not convinced the law has ever included direction of the ball, I believe it was just a widely held misunderstanding but this should be easy to find out by looking at early laws. For the record it was a misunderstanding I once held as well.

i found this on a site albeit not an official so can't be taken as truth:
"A player is in an offside position if he is nearer to his opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second last opponent. In interpreting this on the field of play match officials, players, clubs, spectators and the media have to remember:

If the player is behind the ball he cannot be offside - so players are usually safe when ball is cut back from the goal line"

I assume i'm getting confused by what people are saying when quoting the direction of the ball, i thought it was to mean it been hit backwards in the direction of your own goal.
Similar as in rugby where the ball can only be thrown backwards to be a legal pass.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
More to the point, is that looking back at it think both players actually kick the ball, think Moder and defender touch it. The slightest touch first from defender would of meant not offside.

Sorry, wrong again. The offside is when the ball comes off Webster. At that point Moder is clearly in an offside position and he benefits because he is shortly in a position to score. It's irrelevant whether the defender touches the ball at the same time as Moder.

cobbyseagull

Jul 31, 2008
Sorry, wrong again. The offside is when the ball comes off Webster. At that point Moder is clearly in an offside position and he benefits because he is shortly in a position to score. It's irrelevant whether the defender touches the ball at the same time as Moder.

Agreed that was my point as I then said if the Sheffield United player had touched the before/ahead of Moder 👍

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Agreed that was my point as I then said if the Sheffield United player had touched the before/ahead of Moder ��

Wouldn’t matter if the defender had touched the ball or when he touches it, the very fact that Moder is making a challenge with the defender for the ball is enough for the offside to stand as Moder is considered to be active and interfering with play. The only way it would have been onside is if Moder had been stood away from the defender and not challenged for the ball as the defender had played it.

Last edited:

nsclurker

Apr 3, 2018
I'm another who thought that you couldn't be offside from a back pass. I'm sure it was a rule once.

You can't, and it's still a law. You're not offside, if the ball is deliberately played in your direction by the opposition - excluding a rebound from a save.

"A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball, including by deliberate handball, is not considered to have gained an advantage, unless it was a deliberate save by any opponent."

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
I notice that the 4th Burnley goal today, Wood left the ball to Rodriguez because Wood was in an offside position, Rodriguez then played the ball to Wood who was now in an onside position who then passed to Westwood who scored.

The pundits then said Wood wasn’t deemed to be offside because he didn’t touch the ball until he was onside!

I’m really confused because Molder was onside when he scored

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I notice that the 4th Burnley goal today, Wood left the ball to Rodriguez because Wood was in an offside position, Rodriguez then played the ball to Wood who was now in an onside position who then passed to Westwood who scored.

The pundits then said Wood wasn’t deemed to be offside because he didn’t touch the ball until he was onside!

I’m really confused because Molder was onside when he scored
When Webster played the ball, Moder was in an offside position. So when he interfered with play based on Webster's play, he was offside.

When Rodriguez played the ball, Wood was in an offside position, so he stood aside and let Rodriguez carry on. When Rodriguez played the ball again, Wood had got himself back onside, so he was allowed to interfere with play on the later play.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
When Webster played the ball, Moder was in an offside position. So when he interfered with play based on Webster's play, he was offside.

When Rodriguez played the ball, Wood was in an offside position, so he stood aside and let Rodriguez carry on. When Rodriguez played the ball again, Wood had got himself back onside, so he was allowed to interfere with play on the later play.

Thanks

I’m not disagreeing with you and appreciate your answer but it’s a bit picky isn’t it

Cheers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here