Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The disallowed goal

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
For me it didn’t feel like a pass, as Webster’s header sent the ball up and back. The ball then bounced in the penalty area, Moder ran back round into an onside position and challenged for the loose ball. Wasn’t even sure if he was trying to shoot, looked more like a tackle which he won and the ball went in. Might even have fractionally touched the defender first then Moder got his foot on it and scored. Didn’t someone come from an offside position recently and challenge the last defender for the ball, then run through and score. That goal was allowed even though it looked more of an offside goal than Moder’s.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
For me it didn’t feel like a pass, as Webster’s header sent the ball up and back. The ball then bounced in the penalty area, Moder ran back round into an onside position and challenged for the loose ball. Wasn’t even sure if he was trying to shoot, looked more like a tackle which he won and the ball went in. Might even have fractionally touched the defender first then Moder got his foot on it and scored. Didn’t someone come from an offside position recently and challenge the last defender for the ball, then run through and score. That goal was allowed even though it looked more of an offside goal than Moder’s.

Doesn't matter what Webster intended, Moder was still offside.

Doesn't matter whether the defender got a touch before Moder or not, he was offside when it came off Webster.

The incident you refer to was when a defender lost possession. That is entirely different to having the ball passed to you or come off one of your players.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Well - interestingly, you are far from the only one.

https://www.football-stadiums.co.uk/articles/what-is-the-offside-rule-in-football/
There are three other important points that need to be born in mind when discussing whether or not a player is offside:
  • A player cannot be offside if he is in his own defensive half of the field.
  • Being offside is not, in itself, an offence. It only becomes one if the player attempts to touch the ball after it has been played forward by a team-mate.
  • The opposition’s goalkeeper counts as one of the players, but he doesn’t have to be one of their players

The phrase you have highlighted is not in the official rules. What you have posted is someone trying to explain it.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Doesn't matter what Webster intended, Moder was still offside.

Doesn't matter whether the defender got a touch before Moder or not, he was offside when it came off Webster.

The incident you refer to was when a defender lost possession. That is entirely different to having the ball passed to you or come off one of your players.

Yes fully appreciate he was offside, I guess I was trying to say when the pass isn’t directly to another player it feels like it should be given as onside. It was similar to I think Trossard’s debut “goal” at the Amex, when Burn retrieved a ball and crossed it. Technically they are both offside (I understand why) but they both feel like they shouldn’t be for some reason, which I can’t explain.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
Moder was offside when the ball was headed upwards, then he came back onside. If the ball hit Webster again when it came down and bounced I think it would have been a valid goal?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Moder was offside when the ball was headed upwards, then he came back onside. If the ball hit Webster again when it came down and bounced I think it would have been a valid goal?

I think that's what VAR were checking for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here