The devil that is alcohol

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Definite no-no I'm afraid Tricky, its repair or replace. I questioned that rumour with my consultant last week and all he said "do you know Robbie Keane is joining Brighton" :lol::lol::lol:

Goes to show, you shouldn't take all your medical advice from "scrubs" then. I'm sure there were two brothers, possibly twins, where one donated a bit of liver to the other. I'm sure JD saved the day though.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
:glare:

01 Jun. 17 09.34.jpg

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Bloody hell!! What symptoms did you have? Good that you got a wake up call whilst you can still do something about it - albeit drastic! What do you have to do until you get a replacement?

vauxhallexile

Jul 31, 2003
Dear All

I am not one who should preach on this subject however I wanted to warn predominately the younger members on this board about the dangers of alcohol that lie ahead. I have just learnt that I require a liver transplant due to my playing hard/working hard over the last 25 years.

As a youngster, I like you, thought I was invincible but this is a disease which doesn't warn you it's coming but arrives when it is ready if you drink long term. Within my work role part of my role was to entertain clients and given the choice between water or an alcoholic drink would by in large opt for the latter. My social network also involved meeting friends in pubs all the time (coffee shops were a no-no).

I seek no sympathy, in fact if and when one were to become available I have sought assurance that if someone on the waiting list requires a replacement through natural causes, then I want them to take the place in front of me. After all I did this to myself.

I have a few hard months in front of me and it's playing havoc with my head (I don't mind confessing to the fact that I'm bricking it as well), but I will beat this, as a Jocko, having bought a season ticket plan to make sure I get my years worth.

Sorry for dampening the mood at the end of the day, but even if one youngster heeds the above then it will have been worthwhile.

Yours

Jimbo GRFC

A very good and really honest post. Good luck to you.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Bloody hell!! What symptoms did you have? Good that you got a wake up call whilst you can still do something about it - albeit drastic! What do you have to do until you get a replacement?

Signs started with Jaundice, fatigue and nausea. At the time I was in so much denial that anything was wrong i.e its a hangover sense of attitude. In terms of replacement I have to remain abstinent for 6 months. Firstly I have to undergo a medical assessment at Guys to ensure I am fit enough to undergo the operation, then its a case of bag packed ready for the call. I would be lying if I was to say I'm not scared, in fact the whole thing terrifies me. More importantly I feel very selfish in the knowledge that for me to live, some poor individual out there has to pass away.

Thanks for all your kind messages and as I may have mentioned previously, being a Jocko who has a season ticket for the Amex I'm going nowhere until I get my season/money's worth

Best Wishes

Jimbo

Eastbourne

Jun 4, 2011
More importantly I feel very selfish in the knowledge that for me to live, some poor individual out there has to pass away.

That's definitely not the way to think about it. You're not taking something that another person needed, you're taking something that has been willingly given to help you when you need it.

Don't feel selfish, because the person who died cant feel cheated. By giving a liver, they get to massively improve the life of another person at no cost to themselves. It's a wonderful thing to do.

Best of luck mate.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
I really wish you better health and that you can pull through this mate, you seem to be strong willed and have the support from us guys on here and no doubt many friends and family.

I used to be a lad, but these days dont drink as much. Used to drink to get pissed and this was regular, but what changed for me was the birth of my little girl and realised I wanted to be dedicated to her, still on the road of losing weight now and getting there slowly but surely.

Wish you all the best mate and your words are an inspiration.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
That's definitely not the way to think about it. You're not taking something that another person needed, you're taking something that has been willingly given to help you when you need it.

Don't feel selfish, because the person who died cant feel cheated. By giving a liver, they get to massively improve the life of another person at no cost to themselves. It's a wonderful thing to do.

Well put - it's the only good thing that can come out of someone dying.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Thanks Guys, although we love our bickering (debating) its very clear that we stand together when needed. Much appreciated

Jimbo

IndependentWSU

May 24, 2011
Maximum respect for your post, displaying honesty and emotion is never easy to an open audience.

Wishing you all the very best for the future.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports