Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The 'Dambusters' raid, 75 years ago today (and tomorrow).

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Queer wasn’t gay either. It meant odd. Plenty people said I feel a bit queer meaning they felt unwell. And still do, meaning just that. In the literal sense I should be able to say I feel a bit queer, or they’re a bit queer, without a bunch of snowflakes getting upset because they only know one meaning when most words in our language have several! By then however Twitter has exploded and no one is listening so we have to avoid such words…because of the dumb, essentially :)
There's nout queer as folk.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That's true of gay but I'm presuming you must be a relative youngster, because the word queer was definitely derogatory in the 1970s, especially when used as a noun. It has since been 'reclaimed', a bit like when Ipswich fans reclaimed the agricultural slurs. In fact the word gay was positively hijacked, and in the 1930s had nothing to do with homosexuality.
Queer as a noun (as early as the 70s? - hmmm ............. maybe), but 'queer; has existed as an adjective for centuries (without any sexual conotations at all), used to describe something unusual or out of the ordinary.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
There's nout queer as folk.
Blimey, I still say that without any malice or hint of “gayness” about. I wonder if people would report me for being homophobic? Not thought of that, this is what I hate about today. So many people looking for offence where absolutely none intended but businesses and the outrage police simply won’t give you a first hearing even. You’re damned and no appeal! I think cancelled is the word of the moment isn’t it? And who sends the memo updating us all?!!!! :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here