Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

the Dambusters on channel 5

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The expression 'ni--er brown ' was a standard colour term for many years. It stood alongside others like ' lime green '
My late Father was involved in fabrics and printing and I often heard him use the term ' ni--er brown '
Gibson named his dog after its colour.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But people were mentally tougher then US they didn't get upset about things like we do now - We get events of mass hysteria regularly now hyped up by the press and media.

Have you ever seen that photo of the boy strolling down the road past the bodies at Belsen ? How could someone cope with that in any circumstances unless they were mentally evolved to cope with it.
I beg to differ on your first point.
The events of mass hysteria whipped up by the press, media and social media, are so pathetically small, in the whole scheme of things, that they have no bearing on our mental toughness.

All they do is show us to be shallow, self serving, and selfish, with an incredible short attention span.

If, god forbid, anything should happen to actually properly test our mental resolve, I'm sure once the fops have been taken care of, humanity will be plenty tough enough.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I bet to differ on your first point.
The events of mass hysteria whipped up by the press, media and social media, are so pathetically small, in the whole scheme of things, that they have no bearing on our mental toughness.

All they do is show us to be shallow, self serving, and selfish, with an incredible short attention span.

If, god forbid, anything should happen to actually properly test our mental resolve, I'm sure once the fops have been taken care of humanity will be plenty tough enough.

At the 1952 Farnborough Air show a plane crashed into the crowd killing 29 - they carried on with the show and the next day even more people turned up - what would happen today?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
My all time favourite re-dub instead of bleeping out the expletive in a film shown on TV is "Yippee Ki-Yay Melon Farmers"

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
At the 1952 Farnborough Air show a plane crashed into the crowd killing 29 - they carried on with the show and the next day even more people turned up - what would happen today?
My point is the mass hysteria that would follow such an event, will last for 15 minutes before the news story is moved on to the next tragedy, and completely forgotten about, all very irrational on both counts.

If a story wasn't able to move on, due to it's severity, I believe the grief-mongers would soon make way for people with the mentality and fortitude you seem to feel we've lost.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
My point is the mass hysteria that would follow such an event, will last for 15 minutes before the news story is moved on to the next tragedy, and completely forgotten about, all very irrational on both counts.

If a story wasn't able to move on, due to it's severity, I believe the grief-mongers would soon make way for people with the mentality and fortitude you seem to feel we've lost.

That doesn't happen on NSC though you have to admit!

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
A great film and I know it is War but the glee that was shown when the dams had been breached knowing thousands of innocent civilians were going to die sits a bit uneasy.
Agree with that...but there again tell that to the people of Coventry,Liverpool,London,who suffered horrendous bombing raids....War IS HELL!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Good to see that Channel 5 did not overdub the name of the dog, but strange that they did not name the dog on the subtitles instead preferring to name the dog as boy. Not sure why those of hard of hearing would be more sensitive to such issues bearing in mind that the use of the name is in a historical context.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
The last time I saw this on TV they put a rider at the beginning of the film that the language used was "of the period".

Would they stop Chico Marx being a honky person? Because he honks a lot.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Was the dog run over by his toe?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
The thing is, the World changes and fads & fashions do too. Many oldies were brought up with what are now offensive words in our nursery rhymes, songs & stories. Re-writing these, or erasing things we don't like from the past, comes donw to the book burning of the past.

Most of the above were not used in an intentionally racist way or to cause offence. Of course, we cannot use those words now, in our enlightened age, but equally I don't think we should 'doctor' films like this.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
As I have mentioned before,radio two plays two songs regularly with racist language in them, Olivers army and All the way from Memphis, i think they played Olivers army last week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here