[Finance] The cryptocurrency (Bitcoin etc) thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
:ffsparr: you're suppose to use the argument its to pay for services and core functions of the state. "redistribution" is quite different and politically biased argument.
I wouldn't argue that because that's not how it works in practice, taxation does not directly fund government spending.

Im not sure where the 'argument' is around redistribution because that's what happens, tax policy ensures that the lowest income earners are left with a larger slice of their earned income than the rich. The level of redistribution varies from country to country but the principle applies pretty much across the board.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Your framing those aspects as 'cons', whereas lots of other people see them as 'pros'. There is also more to it than that.

I also question the inherently worthless aspect. Whilst on the one hand a bitcoin is inherently worthless, on the other it isn't, although its not an easy argument to make (but that doesn't necessarily mean its wrong)!
Its only worth is that someone in future will pay for it. It's not like, say, a share where there are assets and potential future income that provide value, or cash that is backed by (to some extent) gold and by future government taxes. That's what I mean by inherently worthless - its value is not based on any asset, only on future demand.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I wouldn't argue that because that's not how it works in practice, taxation does not directly fund government spending.

Im not sure where the 'argument' is around redistribution because that's what happens, tax policy ensures that the lowest income earners are left with a larger slice of their earned income than the rich. The level of redistribution varies from country to country but the principle applies pretty much across the board.
that's not redistribution, that's progressive tax.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
that's not redistribution, that's progressive tax.
"Increasing the progressiveness of the tax system to ensure that the marginal tax rate is rising will redistribute income from the higher paid to the lower paid."

"Redistribution is quantified as the relative reduction in market income inequality achieved by personal income taxes, employees' social security contributions and cash transfers, based on household-level micro data."

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
"Increasing the progressiveness of the tax system to ensure that the marginal tax rate is rising will redistribute income from the higher paid to the lower paid."

"Redistribution is quantified as the relative reduction in market income inequality achieved by personal income taxes, employees' social security contributions and cash transfers, based on household-level micro data."
the first one is expressed wrongly. by taxing me more than someone else doesnt redistribute any income from me to them. the second one makes sense, the key word used being transfers. redistribution expects money to be taken from someone and given through benefits subsidy or expenditue to others. which to many sounds a lot like taking from Peter to pay Paul. carry on if you like, was trying to help frame the case for taxation on better grounds.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
90minute Panorama documentary about Sam Banking-Fraud up today.

Looks fun.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
90minute Panorama documentary about Sam Banking-Fraud up today.

Looks fun.
Made for very decent viewing IMHO. Probably didn't tell you very much you didn't know before, but nice to see the man-child SBF in the flesh, as it were. His greatest error IMHO was making an enemy of Anthony Scaramucci. That won't end well...

Looking forward immensely to the trial that starts next week. Also the Michael Lewis book which is due out the week after. Also the Netflix series of the book which will be already hurtling down the pipeline. Tremendous Autumn entertainment right there! :clap:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Made for very decent viewing IMHO. Probably didn't tell you very much you didn't know before, but nice to see the man-child SBF in the flesh, as it were. His greatest error IMHO was making an enemy of Anthony Scaramucci. That won't end well...

Looking forward immensely to the trial that starts next week. Also the Michael Lewis book which is due out the week after. Also the Netflix series of the book which will be already hurtling down the pipeline. Tremendous Autumn entertainment right there! :clap:
Ooh, I do like a Michael Lewis book. Thanks for the heads up.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
It seems the ruling in America is having a positive impact on Bitcoin. Up 80% over 12 month period. Not bad returns!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It seems the ruling in America is having a positive impact on Bitcoin. Up 80% over 12 month period. Not bad returns!
FOMO herd behaviour (aka 'market sentiment') is gaining the upper hand at the moment. Number Go Up! It's still the same fake number based on the square root of f*ck all that it always was tho. And Number Go Down just as quick as Number Go Up, wiping out the JCLs with it :wave:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
A healthy resurgence in the past fortnight.
I‘ve reached the dizzy heights of only being £300 down (7k at its worst).
Tempted to cash in.
Any thoughts as to how long this pump will last ?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
A healthy resurgence in the past fortnight.
I‘ve reached the dizzy heights of only being £300 down (7k at its worst).
Tempted to cash in.
Any thoughts as to how long this pump will last ?
I don't know anymore than anyone else, but my best guess is not long before another dip. My exit date is before end of 2025 and I still think there is the possibility of big gains in that timeframe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports