Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Daily case numbers do seem to have flattened out somewhat- no real change in the last week.....

View attachment 137670

ZOE symptom app is also starting to support the theory that we may be flattening soon.

Also,

[TWEET]1404709275340005376[/TWEET]

Israel are helped by their significantly younger population than us, but this IS a vision of the (hopefully pretty near) future.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

Must admit not seen that...but capacity crowds at Wimbledon finals ..unless I dreamt it

Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden has confirmed that the final four Euro 2020 matches at Wembley and Wimbledon will be staged at 50 per cent capacity, despite coronavirus restrictions being extended until July 19.

The last-16 match of Euro 2020 on June 29, along with the semi-finals and final in July being hosted at Wembley will be staged at 50 per cent capacity, meaning around 40,000 fans will be in attendance.

Wimbledon, which begins on June 28 for a fortnight, will be operating at 50 per cent capacity, rising to 100 per cent - around 15,000 spectators - on Centre Court for the men's and women's finals on July 10 and 11.

"Full details of capacity limits for each specific event will be set out in due course," a statement from the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport said.

Formula One's British Grand Prix over the weekend of July 16-18 is also understood to be under consideration for test event status.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...tions-with-euro-2020-pilot-events-to-continue

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden has confirmed that the final four Euro 2020 matches at Wembley and Wimbledon will be staged at 50 per cent capacity, despite coronavirus restrictions being extended until July 19.

The last-16 match of Euro 2020 on June 29, along with the semi-finals and final in July being hosted at Wembley will be staged at 50 per cent capacity, meaning around 40,000 fans will be in attendance.

Wimbledon, which begins on June 28 for a fortnight, will be operating at 50 per cent capacity, rising to 100 per cent - around 15,000 spectators - on Centre Court for the men's and women's finals on July 10 and 11.

"Full details of capacity limits for each specific event will be set out in due course," a statement from the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport said.

Formula One's British Grand Prix over the weekend of July 16-18 is also understood to be under consideration for test event status.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...tions-with-euro-2020-pilot-events-to-continue

Wow. So what happens if you had tickets to one of the Semis cancelled?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

bit strange as there are 5 knockout games left at Wembley so I wonder which last 16 game wont be the pilot.

Good news though , especially if we are involved

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

You get priority to buy them again at much higher prices according to The Athletic

Football fans who had Euro 2020 tickets cancelled as part of COVID-19 capacity restrictions have been offered “priority access” by UEFA to buy tickets for the same games for significantly more than they paid two years ago.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
You get priority to buy them again at much higher prices according to The Athletic

Football fans who had Euro 2020 tickets cancelled as part of COVID-19 capacity restrictions have been offered “priority access” by UEFA to buy tickets for the same games for significantly more than they paid two years ago.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the economics of it, but that is absolutely scandalous if true.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
All adults in England should be able to book their Covid-19 jab "by the end of this week", NHS England's chief executive says.

Speaking at the NHS Confederation annual conference, Sir Simon Stevens predicts the national booking service will be open to all adults aged 18 and above by the end of the week.

He says the health service will "finish the job" of the Covid vaccination programme to the "greatest extent possible" over the next four weeks; adding that by 19 July, it aims to have offered two thirds of adults in England both vaccine doses.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-57480071

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Most tickets for things that I've seen have come with some sort of guarantee of a refund (presumably through insurance by the organisers)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just one per cent of hospital beds are occupied by Covid patients
Sir Simon Stevens, the head of the NHS, said hospitals were in a 'much better position' than before, with far fewer patients
By
Laura Donnelly,
HEALTH EDITOR
15 June 2021 • 1:08pm
Just one per cent of hospital beds are occupied by Covid patients, the head of the NHS has said, compared with a third at the peak of the pandemic.

Sir Simon Stevens said hospitals were in a “much better position” than previously, with far fewer patients, who tended to be younger and more likely to recover.

NHS statistics show Covid patients fill just 993 of 96,000 hospital beds in England. At the peak of the second wave this January, there were more than 34,000 Covid cases in hospital, filling one in three beds.

Sir Simon told the NHS Confederation annual conference on Tuesday that the majority of Covid cases now in hospital were younger than previously was the case, with “much greater” chances of recovery.

He said the NHS was currently in a “much better position now than we were this time last year” because of the “protective wall” provided by vaccinations.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
1 Moderna jab down, wondefully swift at the Brighton centre have had a sore arm and feel like I'm having an hangover. As some who is usually afraid of needles (pathetic I know), the nurses administering the jab was very good at taking my mind off it, by asking me about my 2007/08 Brighton third shirt. That made it fine.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I thought for new cases it was around 7k per day not 14k?

you refer to the tweet, its Zoe app data, not real clinical data.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
7,673 positive tests reported today - slightly down on yesterday and aligns with possibility that it may be flattening out. Last 7 days (incidentally deaths are down 9 in the same 7 days) :

15-06-2021 7,673
14-06-2021 7,742
13-06-2021 7,490
12-06-2021 7,738
11-06-2021 8,125
10-06-2021 7,393
09-06-2021 7,540

spoonie

Apr 19, 2011
Cases in Brighton & Hove are going up like the rest of the country but out of 250 cases reported in the latest 7 days (up to 10th June) only 2 of those were in the over 60's age bracket so incredibly the other 248 cases were all younger than 60. Great Stat and great to keep being reassured vaccines are brilliant and they are working, especially if you have had both.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here