Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I assume this means less likely to pass on

Yep, even TwatCock a few days ago said that early data appeared to show having the vaccine made you over 50% less likely to spread the virus. It’s also worth the caveat that that Israeli data in the post at the top doesn’t specify when the people tested positive, it said a certain amount of people tested positive after having the first dose so between 0-21 days after the first dose and that those people were between 1.6 and 20 times less infectious, would be interesting to know if it correlated to how soon after the first dose they were infected.

As yet there has still been no reports from anywhere in the world of anyone hospitalised after 21 days of having the first dose, which backs up the trial data that showed one dose, 12 weeks apart is the definitive best strategy to save lives.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
There was. A horrible statistic on the radio this afternoon

Due to the people spreading conspiracies around, of the 11 million people who have been vaccinated 90% of them are from the white community and only 10% from the BAME community in the UK.

It led to a discussion between virologists and scientists -

So take that to the nth degree and soon( including me hopefully) 50+ people will get their first jabs

If the government turn around and say that they can’t lift any restrictions as there is still a percentage of people whose God tells them they can’t have it or they think it has tracking chips in it or it is not halal and anti Islamic, then what will be the reaction of this 90% of the population who have trusted the science and had it!

Maybe the government in all its incompetence have factored this in, in that if they catch it the NHS will be sufficiently free to treat the people who won’t take the vaccine for whatever reason.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012

Due to the people spreading conspiracies around, of the 11 million people who have been vaccinated 90% of them are from the white community and only 10% from the BAME community in the UK.

So take that to the nth degree and soon( including me hopefully) 50+ people will get their first jabs

If the government turn around and say that they can’t lift any restrictions as there is still a percentage of people whose God tells them they can’t have it or they think it has tracking chips in it or it is not halal and anti Islamic, then what will be the reaction of this 90% of the population who have trusted the science and had it!

Maybe the government in all its incompetence have factored this in, in that if they catch it the NHS will be sufficiently free to treat the people who won’t take the vaccine for whatever reason.

A quick google search tells me that the BAME population in England and Wales is said to be 14% so not too far off all things considered. imho.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

It’s all about the NHS being able to cope. Once infections are low and hospitals have capacity, and the vast majority of people have been vaccinated, there will be no need for restrictions. If you get ill because you’re an anti-vaxxer then you’ll get treated......

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Worth mentioning that 12.5% of the population is BAME, so whilst they are slightly under-represented in the vaccine take up, it’s not a vast different at this stage.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

It will surely be factored in. They never expect 100% compliance. They always know some won't be vaccinated and some will not respect lockdown rules. Also, it is comforting to look at this as Darwinism in action.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It’s all about the NHS being able to cope. Once infections are low and hospitals have capacity, and the vast majority of people have been vaccinated, there will be no need for restrictions. If you get ill because you’re an anti-vaxxer then you’ll get treated......

The worry for many of us is that people have lost sight of the original protect the NHS message and it’s now zero covid.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The worry for many of us is that people have lost sight of the original protect the NHS message and it’s now zero covid.

3 weeks to flatten the curve. March 2020

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Geez....some good stuff being debated on this thread ...but really should be over on the other forum....because there are different views it’s going to be quite easy to derail/clog it up...I know i can be guilty of it ....but let’s just stick to GOOD NEWs FACTS

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
This thread is worth a read if you want some reassurance about the Sunday Times article regarding the Oxford vaccine and its efficacy against the South African variant of covid.

[TWEET]1358502538853687299[/TWEET]

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
This thread is worth a read if you want some reassurance about the Sunday Times article regarding the Oxford vaccine and its efficacy against the South African variant of covid.
So they counted positive tests 14 days after the jab, which is just about the time it's supposed to start working? The infections they counted mostly arose before the jab started working and they found that people who hadn't been jabbed caught coronavirus at the same rate as people whose jabs weren't yet working. Is that a surprise? I don't think so.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
So they counted positive tests 14 days after the jab, which is just about the time it's supposed to start working? The infections they counted mostly arose before the jab started working and they found that people who hadn't been jabbed caught coronavirus at the same rate as people whose jabs weren't yet working. Is that a surprise? I don't think so.

Says >14 days post boost, which I assume means 14 days after second/booster jab.

They are however confident that it’ll still prevent hospitalisation from this strain, and they’re current tweaking it to be prevent mild/moderate symptoms.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
[TWEET]1358531898960658435[/TWEET]

In amongst the noise, a reminder that when it comes to the facts and the data, things ARE getting better. Every day.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

You and I need to leave this thread, and not bang the door on the way out.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

Someone correct me if I am wrong - but from my reading of that thread, probably the most important point is that the UK (Kent) variant is 'outcompeting' the South African variant. So the South Africant strain is unlikely to become dominant in the UK. Since the vaccines we are using are very effective against the UK variant (while still quite effective against the SA one) - this is basically very good news.

The other interesting point is the plummeting figures for infection rates in SA, which I had not been aware of. There seems no immediately obvious cause for that...but good news anyway!

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea

I got following this guy after viewing replies to a doomsday tweet from Dr Eric Feigl, who gains followers by putting the absolute fear of God into them. This guy basically shut him down about vaccines and so Dr Eric Feigl blocked him.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Someone correct me if I am wrong - but from my reading of that thread, probably the most important point is that the UK (Kent) variant is 'outcompeting' the South African variant. So the South Africant strain is unlikely to become dominant in the UK. Since the vaccines we are using are very effective against the UK variant (while still quite effective against the SA one) - this is basically very good news.

The other interesting point is the plummeting figures for infection rates in SA, which I had not been aware of. There seems no immediately obvious cause for that...but good news anyway!

Yes that’s the way I take it. And only 147 recorded cases of the South African variant recorded in this country so far and confidence the vaccine will be tweaked to combat it in a matter of months anyway. Which makes the doomsday style BBC headline reporting of this yesterday and today totally OTT and irresponsible.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here