Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The club and their self importance/arrogance

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
There's an awful lot about modern football that I detest and corporate hospitality along with "third kits" that come straight off an identikit production line are near the top of my shitlist. But they're not the fault of the "club" per se so, when something like yesterday's reveal comes along that I find yanking my chain I do my best just to say nothing.

Where I had an issue last season was in that something was clearly wrong behind the scenes. We were losing managers / head coaches and good players with monotonous regularity and it was clearly costing us on the pitch. As fans we HAVE to be able to comment on that and, frankly, a good exchange of opinions on this side of things is part of what football's about. However, if we weren't to do the third kits / corporate hosp / club shop promotions it's pretty obvious that things would be worse on the pitch. We have to do this stuff because Sky and Bosman and all those other c:censored:ts changed a game forever. To be fair, at the time, it was a game that was hard to love.

It's a credit to the club that they appear to be in the process of fixing things again. I am genuinely encouraged by our signings and our manager. And some of those little ideas ARE great. If it's Tom Gorringe or Paul Barber or Paul Beirne or a mix of all I don't know but the camping on the pitch was a brilliant idea, the fixtures breakfast was a good idea, getting Sevilla in and pricing it correctly was a coup.

Complaining you've been turfed out because you can't behave. on the other hand, is a bit shithouse.

now thats post of the week

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Exactly.
I'm glad the Insider came onto this thread with the correct facts:thumbsup:
A version of events that couldn't be more opposite from the thread title.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I give lots of :thumbsup: and can't remember giving many the other way. You may of assumed in my original post I was a jcl, but I go back to being a proper supporter to the very early seventies. My Grandad took me in the late sixties and I remember being shoved down the front of the East Stand.
Honestly, other than pointing out I thought you were calling the wrong faction on this thread tossers, all my other points were about others on and off the board - not just the thread. I made no assumptions or direct digs. And I dislike the whole JCL thing. I don't care how long people have been going if they support the club. I don't particularly mind the corporates who go for the hospitality or the Chelsea/Spurs/Arsenal fans who have a season ticket because they can't get one for their 'big' club. As long as they get behind the team or just sit there and enjoy their 3 course meal and spend money behind the bar. You want a good team, you need as many people paying as much money as possible.

But I have a massive problem with anyone, JCL or other, who seem to undermine the club. Like the muppets behind me who constantly slag JFC, Barnes or whoever is flavour of the month - all the while banging on about Eastbourne Borough or getting excited about Premier League clubs and moaning about how much people get paid for missing a shot. And I mean constantly. Why bother going if it causes you so much pain? Or people who seem to want the club to fail so they can say told you so. Or players to fail for the same reason. Or complaining when we get Norwich as a home friendly as we should be getting big clubs and then complain when we get the Europa League champions because it is the wrong day/time/team of players no-one has heard of/just a friendly and is boring.. The club can't do right for doing wrong with some people. Complain when something is not the way they want and then when it is changed, continually hark back to when it was wrong. Some big things and small things will be used as a stick to beat the club for years.

Anyway, I think this thread has probably run its course after veering wildly from the OPs intention. :smile: Having had it happen a few times to me, I do love watching a thread massively backfire on someone.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
So out of your 30,000+ posts you have never posted drivel

Hello grumpy chops :)

Don't you find it a little strange that someone who has made only a couple of posts in 2 years (so he isn't new) comes on for a moaning session....2nd account surely? Its you!!!! :moo:

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Indeed. The club are far from perfect but the, quite frankly, gobsmacking ingratitude of an increasing number of people is very, very sad. There are quite a number that actively try and seek a tiny sniff of controversy so they can jump on their soapbox to start ranting. Offer a free breakfast to watch the fixture announcements and watch the complaints because of short notice, poor quality food etc. Let kids camp on the pitch for a night to try and cement a few long term fans and it is tinpot/embarrassing. Price things at a point where they will sell well and maximise player funds and it more indications of Barber squeezing every penny/the club ripping off long term fans. Release new kits that are a bit formulaic but will fly out for kids/youngsters/brand name fans and you are selling out/sunday league. And spend over £200 million on a football club with little likelihood of seeing any of it back and then try and run the club with sensible finances and you will be invited to leave or declared as lacking ambition.

For what it's worth, I'm not comfortable supporting a biggish club in the mad money world of modern football when I'm essentially funding a couple of days salary of a squad player with my (significant to me) contribution. And I have a nasty feeling that the club will try and squeeze people like me out of 1901 trying to chase the corporate pound when renewals are announced next year. But I gain solace from the fact that, within these boundaries, the powers that be appear to be trying to run in the best way possible. Investing in the future and not massively overspending for a short term gamble. Trying to make the training environment the best it can be and insisting on high standards of behaviour from all that attend. They have made mistakes in the past but on the whole seem to try and learn from them. Player recruitment being the most obvious example. And there is a growing disconnect at times between the club and the fans but sadly that is the nature of modern football. But on the whole, their heart is in the right place which makes the haters all the more sad.

ALERT! Sensible post ALERT! Please leave the board.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Honestly, other than pointing out I thought you were calling the wrong faction on this thread tossers, all my other points were about others on and off the board - not just the thread. I made no assumptions or direct digs. And I dislike the whole JCL thing. I don't care how long people have been going if they support the club. I don't particularly mind the corporates who go for the hospitality or the Chelsea/Spurs/Arsenal fans who have a season ticket because they can't get one for their 'big' club. As long as they get behind the team or just sit there and enjoy their 3 course meal and spend money behind the bar. You want a good team, you need as many people paying as much money as possible.

But I have a massive problem with anyone, JCL or other, who seem to undermine the club. Like the muppets behind me who constantly slag JFC, Barnes or whoever is flavour of the month - all the while banging on about Eastbourne Borough or getting excited about Premier League clubs and moaning about how much people get paid for missing a shot. And I mean constantly. Why bother going if it causes you so much pain? Or people who seem to want the club to fail so they can say told you so. Or players to fail for the same reason. Or complaining when we get Norwich as a home friendly as we should be getting big clubs and then complain when we get the Europa League champions because it is the wrong day/time/team of players no-one has heard of/just a friendly and is boring.. The club can't do right for doing wrong with some people. Complain when something is not the way they want and then when it is changed, continually hark back to when it was wrong. Some big things and small things will be used as a stick to beat the club for years.

Anyway, I think this thread has probably run its course after veering wildly from the OPs intention. :smile: Having had it happen a few times to me, I do love watching a thread massively backfire on someone.

You've been warned! Reasonable, calm, unprovocative, considered, thoughtful, positive and insightful comments are like hens teeth on this board. This is no place for level headed comment! I ask you again, PLEASE LEAVE THE BOARD!

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Unfortunatlely Dick can and has bored me to death:moo: no way is he married/got kids/drinks------he pretends to be the ultimate middle aged Albion supporter but ultimately he could win a gold medal for not listening to other peoples opinions.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Its like holding your hand out to a drowning man as he goes under for the second time but he wants you to have a certificate in fishing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here