Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The club and their self importance/arrogance

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
A couple of thoughts and questions:

Did you make a complaint to the club, wait for a response and then decide it wasn't good enough so decided to post on here?
How exactly did you find out the reason for being turned away? (you say 'it turns out', which is a little vague)
What other examples do you have of the club's self importance and arrogance that leads you to 'sum' it up this way?

I'm not trying to be a smart arse or club-licker, just seems a bit of a strange rant from a new poster. A bit more detail may give it more perspective. Cheers.

Some very pertinent questions that remain unanswered.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Don't take any notice of the :tosser: mate---if what you say is true, you are in the right. The club e-mail me all the time about buying this and tat.Piss poor if a lot of people wasted time and effort for nothing.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
But he is not complaining that it was cancelled without notice - he is complaining that it was cancelled to sign someone "none of us had heard of".
I detect a whiff of Croydon about this story...

I know. My point was that he had reason to be annoyed, but that the reason he chose was a bit silly, really.

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
I am not sure the whole facts have been aired here, which is not a criticism of the OP, as he may not himself be in full possession of why the group were not given access.

The reason they were refused access on Thursday, had nothing to do with the new player arrival - we've signed three players so far this summer, and the training ground has still been open as usual with all three - but more due to previous misdemeanours (by individuals, not the group) on the previous two visits.

The booking was for the AITC community pitch, and users of the pitch are expected to abide by the club's (fairly strict) rules for obvious reasons. I understand, some members within this group had been warned previously of their behaviour, and AITC were advised of the group's ban a week in advance of their next booked session.

I would hope (and in fairness AITC are usually pretty good at this sort of thing) this was properly communicated... but I will need to check if the person who made the booking was made aware - and I will follow that up on Monday.

On a wider point, as a professional football club, our focus at the training ground is the development and training of elite footballers and ensuring the best possible environment for that work - and yes we expect all visitors, including those to the community pitch, to respect what we do and ensure their own behaviour is appropriate at all times. Thankfully, the vast majority of visitors do just this, but we have had some instances of one or two failing to do so.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Perhaps corporate billy big b*llocks are prepared to pay considerably more than the little old local sponsor. More money = bigger playing budget = happier fans (hopefully).
I am sure they do, but it's a shame there is no room for those companies responsible for ensuring the club is still in existence. Still, as there is hardly anyone employed by the club from those times, it is no surprise, and another reason why so many of the fans who supported them through those times are currently disgruntled.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Don't take any notice of the :tosser: mate---if what you say is true, you are in the right. The club e-mail me all the time about buying this and tat.Piss poor if a lot of people wasted time and effort for nothing.
Still stand by your :tosser: comment now? Random new poster posts unsubstantiated claims and seems to have gone running to a messageboard rather than contact the club. And turns out to be completely untrue.

I would suggest that people who are desperate to believe such things with no proof or credence just so they can have a pop at the club they purport to support are more likely to be :tosser::tosser:

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
5 a side football league that is organised by a local business were all turned away on Thursday at the Amex training ground (community pitch) without any communication or explanation as to why. Turns
Out this was because of the announcement of the new signing. Pretty poor from the club , I do get a sense that the club are up their own arses, no one would have even recognised the guy and to just cancel this regular event for this reason was pathetic . For me it Sums up the club and the sense of self importance/brand unfortunately

2015-06-25-17-39-33-243724281.jpeg

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I am sure they do, but it's a shame there is no room for those companies responsible for ensuring the club is still in existence. Still, as there is hardly anyone employed by the club from those times, it is no surprise, and another reason why so many of the fans who supported them through those times are currently disgruntled.

Again, not trying to be smart, but is it really true that there is no room for those companies? Or is it that there is still room, but not at the same high-profile, due to the club being able to attract larger investors now? Also, the fact that few from back then are still employed by the club shouldn't be a reason for the values that they brought to the club to have disappeared per se. If that were the case then no organisation would ever be able to hold on to core values through generations, which simply isn't the case.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I am sure they do, but it's a shame there is no room for those companies responsible for ensuring the club is still in existence. Still, as there is hardly anyone employed by the club from those times, it is no surprise, and another reason why a few voiciferous fans often with incomplete knowledge of all the facts who supported them through those times are currently disgruntled.

Corrected for you

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As usual I'm left wondering why the fook did/does Tony bother with some of the most ungrateful fans in world soccer ball.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Genuinely amusing to have both sides of the story. Which is not to denigrate the OP - clearly warnings and outcomes weren't shared with everyone. :lolol:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Still stand by your :tosser: comment now? Random new poster posts unsubstantiated claims and seems to have gone running to a messageboard rather than contact the club. And turns out to be completely untrue.

I would suggest that people who are desperate to believe such things with no proof or credence just so they can have a pop at the club they purport to support are more likely to be :tosser::tosser:

You happily missed out the 'if what you say is true' bit,but------hey ho:)

314 random posts since Sep 2011 and this is one of your better ones----congratulations:thumbsup:

Have you been locked up or just got poor internet :moo:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And what have you,concluded :)
The only conclusion I have, so far, is that TB is considerably more patient than me.
By now I'd have locked the Amex and fooked off to Aussieland, screaming obscenities all the way.

Last edited:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
As usual I'm left wondering why the fook did/does Tony bother with some of the most ungrateful fans in world soccer ball.
Indeed. The club are far from perfect but the, quite frankly, gobsmacking ingratitude of an increasing number of people is very, very sad. There are quite a number that actively try and seek a tiny sniff of controversy so they can jump on their soapbox to start ranting. Offer a free breakfast to watch the fixture announcements and watch the complaints because of short notice, poor quality food etc. Let kids camp on the pitch for a night to try and cement a few long term fans and it is tinpot/embarrassing. Price things at a point where they will sell well and maximise player funds and it more indications of Barber squeezing every penny/the club ripping off long term fans. Release new kits that are a bit formulaic but will fly out for kids/youngsters/brand name fans and you are selling out/sunday league. And spend over £200 million on a football club with little likelihood of seeing any of it back and then try and run the club with sensible finances and you will be invited to leave or declared as lacking ambition.

For what it's worth, I'm not comfortable supporting a biggish club in the mad money world of modern football when I'm essentially funding a couple of days salary of a squad player with my (significant to me) contribution. And I have a nasty feeling that the club will try and squeeze people like me out of 1901 trying to chase the corporate pound when renewals are announced next year. But I gain solace from the fact that, within these boundaries, the powers that be appear to be trying to run in the best way possible. Investing in the future and not massively overspending for a short term gamble. Trying to make the training environment the best it can be and insisting on high standards of behaviour from all that attend. They have made mistakes in the past but on the whole seem to try and learn from them. Player recruitment being the most obvious example. And there is a growing disconnect at times between the club and the fans but sadly that is the nature of modern football. But on the whole, their heart is in the right place which makes the haters all the more sad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here