Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Chip Basket RIP

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Big shame. That has been there at least 30years, used to get chips from there when my dad lived in Seafield Road in the 70's. RIP the chip basket.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
When my mother was alive she liked to go to Athena but havent been there for a couple of years has it changed hands or still run by the same Cypriot couple.

Not sure but still there. Think it changed hands after a fire gutted it.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I used to love the burgers in Athena B, but they're not the same now, not judging by the last one I had there. I love Bankers, the same waitress has been there the full 20 years I have been going there (Maria) and the whole place is just class. But with the demise of Chip Basket, I hope the new place will be up to par.

If not, good news for Subway.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sake! We used to live just round the corner from the Chip Basket and were in there lots. Once even drove there from our new place in the Slarde. Bollocks.

c1mcc

Jan 10, 2009
Never fear! The owners had an offer from the big chain. So they sold/left/whatever. One stipulation from the big chain over the deal was that the current owner could not open a chip shop within five miles i think it was. So now the brother will be opening one in Blatchington or Portland Road (I forget which)!
Good way to get round the stipulation put in place by the chain over the deal, plus the same quality fish n chips very close by to the original chip basket.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Which one ?

I don't know the name but if you're walking west, away from Brighton, and you walk past the Co-op on your left it's about another 3-4 mins also on the left.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Never fear! The owners had an offer from the big chain. So they sold/left/whatever. One stipulation from the big chain over the deal was that the current owner could not open a chip shop within five miles i think it was. So now the brother will be opening one in Blatchington or Portland Road (I forget which)!
Good way to get round the stipulation put in place by the chain over the deal, plus the same quality fish n chips very close by to the original chip basket.

Ah well.. good on them. They've just got to make sure everyone knows. If the new place is a chain, I give it 6 months.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Depends if you want a sit down or take out but Bankers with the 2 for 1 voucher can't be beat, take out I like Sky High in Portland Rd opposite the now demolished bingo hall

I'm a take out person. I'll check out Sky High. Thanks.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm starting to get fed up with the area I live. Harry's gone. The Chip Basket gone. Chain chippy arrived. Chain Modelo Lounge thingy arrived.

I'm worried about my newsagents as well; I have noticed the stock is running low and it's been closed all day today.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
According to the sign in the window of the ex-Chip Basket, the new place is part of the same company as Bankers. Does that mean Bankers has been taken over too?! They did change their signage recently..

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A sad day.
That's a shocker. One of the city's best chippies.
I noticed this the other day, gutted. In my opinion the best chippy in Hove.
I'm now depressed
A sad day indeed. Quality nosh at a decent price.
Big shame. That has been there at least 30years
You people have no one to blame but yourselves. I've never heard of the place, where were all the threads on here saying how great it was?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here