Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Championship this weekend

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Clever, he is taking any pressure off his players to be aiming for top two, doesn't mean he's not though, should we continue to falter.
...........and, to be fair, he's avoiding the usual bleat of ignorant supporters of some clubs of calling us 'big-spending Brighton'.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Hand on heart, did any of us really believe Villa would be this shit under Bruce?

No, and they took 24 points from his first 12 games. Go back a few pages and you will see posters wetting themselves about the threat from mighty AV once they spent big in January. To be fair, they were very unlucky today, but seem to have lost the plot generally.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Jaap Stam's post match comments are interesting:

"I don't think we were ever in the race for the top two. We are just beginning to build something this season after finishing 17th last year.

"If we have a chance to achieve something we should go for it, but I was never under any illusion that we are in the race for the top two against Newcastle, who have spent 60 to 70 million pounds, and Brighton, who have worked towards this for three years."

And what have Reading been doing for the last 3 years................Is he so up his own arse that he thinks Reading didn't exist before he arrived. Two years ago Reading were actually finishing above Brighton

theboybilly

Jaap Stam's post match comments are interesting:

"I don't think we were ever in the race for the top two. We are just beginning to build something this season after finishing 17th last year.

"If we have a chance to achieve something we should go for it, but I was never under any illusion that we are in the race for the top two against Newcastle, who have spent 60 to 70 million pounds, and Brighton, who have worked towards this for three years."

The first of those three years we were fighting against relegation

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Leeds will win today.

It's very rare that my tipster 'magic' effects 2 out of 3 teams.
What's far more likely is Leeds winning 1-0, so that I was only 1 goal away from my winnings.

Petee

Nov 22, 2010
Brighton
With Leeds v Huddersfield, surely a Huddersfield win is as good as a draw.

Draw - Leeds 55 points, Hudds 53
Hudds win - Hudds 55 Leeds 54

theroyal

May 11, 2014
And what have Reading been doing for the last 3 years................Is he so up his own arse that he thinks Reading didn't exist before he arrived. Two years ago Reading were actually finishing above Brighton

I think his point is that Brighton have been building a squad/style of play since then - I could be wrong of course, as you guys will be more aware of your recent history than me. Reading only started playing this system (completely different than last year for existing squad members) in August with basically a whole squad of new signings, so to be where we are is a remarkable achievement.

As well as we are doing this year, there are things that definitely need improvement (squad depth in key areas, defending, lacking a match-winner like Knockaert/Gayle/Wood) and if I'm honest I think that will tell towards the end of the season. My gut feeling is we'll finish in the play-offs and go out in the semis - but that's an excellent season for us considering our last two seasons. I'd be very, very surprised if we threaten the top two spots.

Yesterday was a decent result for us despite Ipswich's form, as we are missing some key players (including our captain) and had to play a defensive midfielder as right wing-back.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Hudds v Leeds draw is best result for us. No doubt about that

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

If it wasn't for green town would be a couple up going into half time. This is a very good game and the way Leeds are playing against town, shows how we got it wrong!

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I think his point is that Brighton have been building a squad/style of play since then - I could be wrong of course, as you guys will be more aware of your recent history than me. Reading only started playing this system (completely different than last year for existing squad members) in August with basically a whole squad of new signings, so to be where we are is a remarkable achievement.

As well as we are doing this year, there are things that definitely need improvement (squad depth in key areas, defending, lacking a match-winner like Knockaert/Gayle/Wood) and if I'm honest I think that will tell towards the end of the season. My gut feeling is we'll finish in the play-offs and go out in the semis - but that's an excellent season for us considering our last two seasons. I'd be very, very surprised if we threaten the top two spots.

Yesterday was a decent result for us despite Ipswich's form, as we are missing some key players (including our captain) and had to play a defensive midfielder as right wing-back.

Pains me to say it but I think youre right on the building a style of play thing. Even in the flirting with relegation season Hughton was working with the players towards survival and improvement on a dreadful first few months of that season. The building blocks were laid there for the 2 seasons since

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Not sure if Hudds goal is good or not - only time will tell. Anything but a Leeds win I'd have taken before. Hudds not as good away as they are at home.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Then he should have said that. This squad and ethics has been built in 3 transfer windows and under CH in 18 months. The first 6 months he did virtually nothing except inherit the previous Managers squad and assess it and work with that for the first 6 months.

If Jap Staam doesn't want to be misquoted or misinterpreted he shouldn't use phrases which suit or are geared to suit his own ends. So lets say he is correct in that Brighton are ahead of them but they are definitely not 3 years in the making ahead of them and they most certainly did not come down from the Premier League with parachute payments in their wallet like Reading did

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Pains me to say it but I think youre right on the building a style of play thing. Even in the flirting with relegation season Hughton was working with the players towards survival and improvement on a dreadful first few months of that season. The building blocks were laid there for the 2 seasons since

Absolutely not..........All that was done then was probably, how long are their contracts. How quickly can I get some of them out the door and replaced with more capable bodies but on the playing side, try and maintain Championship status

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I'm quite optimistic about this weekend. I think Reading may struggle at an increasingly desperate Ipswich.

I also think Derby are capable of at least a draw at Newcastle and I heavily fancy Huddersfield and Leeds to draw as well.

And we are definitely due a win at Brentford.

That prediction went well then :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here