Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Budget - March 2020

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I see all the usual doomsayers and gloomsters have congregated here for the afternoon, the National insurance relief for employing veterans is excellent news.
I’m off to put My Edith Piaf LP on...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
IR35 was going to force my hand in to early retirement this April - did all my sums at Christmas and could just scrape by until my deferred final salary pension kicks in at 2026.

The new IR35 rules are utterly ridiculous. Just a way of forcing the self employed into being nominally 'employed' and therefore pay more tax. It will lose people their jobs. I need a to hire a contractor for maternity leave cover .... prices have gone up so much I'm probably not going to bother. Only an utter fvckwit would have brought those rules in !

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
For years I used to have to plan for the budget, get any up front information available and watch every second of it for any changes effecting our businesses.

I've just realised that finally, 9 years later, I've broken the habit and have only just realised it's budget day tomorrow, so a great opportunity to get away from all the doom and gloom around Coronavirus :smile:

So what do we have to look forward to tomorrow ?

A chancellor with no experience or control being spoon fed by No10
Immediate risk of a Corona pandemic breaking out in the next few days/weeks
The very real possibility of a Global recession in the next few months
Finding out what type of Brexit we are going to get and how much of a hit it will be on the UK's economy over the next 9 months

Here Rishi, catch :lolol:

TBH, since MIRAS was abolished and I stopped smoking years back I really have not had the faintest interest in The Budget, shaving the odd penny off income tax or raising the tax free allowance by £300 a year does little to help me day to day. I have worked hard all my life but I have hardly ever been helped by a Budget. Meanwhile, I have watched as the UK has slowly slipped down the ladder of almost every decent societal indicator.

Not expecting any change now.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
The new IR35 rules are utterly ridiculous. Just a way of forcing the self employed into being nominally 'employed' and therefore pay more tax. It will lose people their jobs. I need a to hire a contractor for maternity leave cover .... prices have gone up so much I'm probably not going to bother. Only an utter fvckwit would have brought those rules in !

A lot of companies are deciding to hire offshore resource so that’s another loss of revenue to HMRC. Not to mention making companies less efficient.

This has to be the most short-sighted policy from a government who seem to be clueless about how business operates

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
One thing for certain is that it will bare no resemble to all the promises made in the general election. There will headlines (propaganda) and a load of PM blather about the greatest levels in investment a series of public services which have been stripped to the bone over the last ten years. The rich will benefit and the ordinary person on the street will get some token gestures. all a bit depressing really but it's want we wanted and all knew we were getting apparently

I think you'll find that, beyond 'Get Brexit Done', there were very few promises made by the Tories in the general election. Sure, Boris has boxed Rishi in with all sorts of 'no tax increases' dogma, but we all know that Boris is rather good at just ignoring what he's said in the past and carrying on regardless. And we all know that the press (who, laughably, claim that their job is to hold governments to account) will give him a free pass when he does.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
[tweet]1237051230653952001[/tweet]

Rishi Sunak @RishiSunak
The UK owes all ex-servicewomen and men a tremendous debt.

In my budget on Wednesday I’ll announce that employers will no longer pay National Insurance Contributions for ex-forces personnel for the first year of their work.

They do a job we help them get a job #Budget2020

Yet the UK recruits Commonwealth soldiers, sailors and airmen, and then charges them £2389 to stay when their service is finished.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...iji-british-army-veteran-immigration-limbo-uk

[tweet]1237303864866623490[/tweet]

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'll be interested to see what he does for the self-employed and owner/managers of personal service companies.

Whilst the employed get holiday pay, paternity, auto-enrolment pension and - now - statutory sick pay from Day 1 the rest of us get nothing, and added to that there is the uncertainty of Brexit and coronavirus.

I get " discretionary " sick pay, bare minimum holidays a year, no annual pay rise/review and a company pension scheme which was legally deferred by the company until such time as they had to implement it which is set at the government minimum for company contributions. At 56 years old my pension illustration suggested that my contributions, and the companies would grow if I received pay rises in line with or above inflation and the scheme grew by 6% pa. I retire at 66 and I will receive a risible £363 per Annum as a pension. The co-owners of my company reside in Guernsey and are worth £1.5 bn. It's not all fun being employed.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

Hire a short-term employee to cover your employee's job, not an "independent" contractor. If your motivation for not doing so is cost, then ask yourself why - where is the saving being made?

The rules are utterly sensible, falling in line with the worker/employee rights rules (albeit they're currently not coterminus - something noted by the Good Work Plan coming from the Taylor report).

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Hire a short-term employee to cover your employee's job, not an "independent" contractor. If your motivation for not doing so is cost, then ask yourself why - where is the saving being made?

The rules are utterly sensible, falling in line with the worker/employee rights rules (albeit they're currently not coterminus - something noted by the Good Work Plan coming from the Taylor report).

I'm not after making a 'saving' - I'm after hiring a replacement - I still need to pay the person on maternity leave. It's the point that almost all contractors have put up their prices.

No the rules are not sensible, they assume a contractor gets the same benefits as a full time employee - they don't. They take the risks of not being employed by the customer - they are self employed. As I said previously it's just the government trying to get contractors to fall into the PAYE system.

D

Deleted member 2719

For years I used to have to plan for the budget, get any up front information available and watch every second of it for any changes effecting our businesses.

I've just realised that finally, 9 years later, I've broken the habit and have only just realised it's budget day tomorrow, so a great opportunity to get away from all the doom and gloom around Coronavirus :smile:

So what do we have to look forward to tomorrow ?

A chancellor with no experience or control being spoon fed by No10
Immediate risk of a Corona pandemic breaking out in the next few days/weeks
The very real possibility of a Global recession in the next few months
Finding out what type of Brexit we are going to get and how much of a hit it will be on the UK's economy over the next 9 months

Here Rishi, catch :lolol:

One thing we can be sure of McDonnell will be nowhere near the purse strings and not be lynching any bitches.

Thank God.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It will be interesting to see the Budget quickly followed by the fall-out from the IR35 coming in 27 days time.

I'm not convinced that contractors have pro-actively run contracts through the HMRC CEST tool to determine taxable status of contracts, then notified their sub-contractors of the outcome.

I aniticipate sub-contractors fearing the worst and ending contracts before they get PAYE'd, but are contractors ready to lose labour as sub-contractors take flight rather than have 'sh1t employee' status foisted upon them?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I'm surprised that there aren't long queues at petrol stations as it must be time for a fuel tax hike.

Of course there will be, oil prices are low and plummeting, fuel is dropping in price at the pumps but of course could be far cheaper if it wasn't for the rip off fuel companies as usual, but we won't be allowed to benefit from that and they will hide it behind an environmental policy.
But, Javed was cleverly forced out by Cummings so he could replace him with a rookie poodle.
Money will be thrown around left right and centre tomorrow as 'austerity' is over, it will be the biggest feel good budget for a very long time, Johnson doesn't care he just wants adulation to feed his ego.
I just hope that the money goes to the people who have suffered most over the past 10 years, I hope money goes to councils so they can look after kids in care/adoption/fostering and old people in council care home, I think I am asking a bit much though.
And of course 'experts' will need to work very hard to work out how they are going to claw it back, wouldn't it be nice if it was from the rich and tax avoiders in the Cayman Islands.
Fat Chance.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Someone will use the word odious!

Seems to be the latest buzzword :shrug:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Of course there will be, oil prices are low and plummeting, fuel is dropping in price at the pumps but of course could be far cheaper if it wasn't for the rip off fuel companies as usual, but we won't be allowed to benefit from that and they will hide it behind an environmental policy.
But, Javed was cleverly forced out by Cummings so he could replace him with a rookie poodle.
Money will be thrown around left right and centre tomorrow as 'austerity' is over, it will be the biggest feel good budget for a very long time, Johnson doesn't care he just wants adulation to feed his ego.
I just hope that the money goes to the people who have suffered most over the past 10 years, I hope money goes to councils so they can look after kids in care/adoption/fostering and old people in council care home, I think I am asking a bit much though.
And of course 'experts' will need to work very hard to work out how they are going to claw it back, wouldn't it be nice if it was from the rich and tax avoiders in the Cayman Islands.
Fat Chance.

An awful lot of money has to be thrown into repairing all the damage of the last 12 odd years. we badly need so many of our current roads re-surfaced as it is without building new ones. As for the holes in social care, education and health and homelessness and poverty, in-work poverty and diminishing life expectancy and addictions … the list is endless. Charities are laying plans to feed children who may soon be sent home from school for 1-2 months and will lose their free school meals and breakfast clubs.... 5 th biggest economy in the world.... be ashamed Mr Sunak.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Certainly an unusual choice of example.

Admittedly I was preparing to trot out the same old spiel about politicians trotting out the same old spiel about football, but a look at Wikipedia informs me that Sunak was born in Southampton, was 14 or thereabouts when Le Tissier was in his Premiership pomp, so I'm very surprised to have to say this looks like a politician's genuine affinity for the Guernsey Wonder/anything to do with football.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I would like to see the higher earners 40% tax rate rise as promised by Boris in the election build up.....higher tax costs me an awful lot.
Either that or make military pensions tax free!!!!

“As promised by Boris”

Dear oh dear. :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here