Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The best beer there is....

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Do not exist any more but when King & Barnes were still brewing in Horsham I loved their Summer Ale (obviously brewed June through August) and also their Old Ale (October to February from memory). Very different styles but both superb. The King family should hang their heads in shame given what Hall & Woodhouse have done to the Sussex pub scene since they sold out.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Do not exist any more but when King & Barnes were still brewing in Horsham I loved their Summer Ale (obviously brewed June through August) and also their Old Ale (October to February from memory). Very different styles but both superb. The King family should hang their heads in shame given what Hall & Woodhouse have done to the Sussex pub scene since they sold out.
I would say that King and Barnes Festive was their ultimate beer... Got well ratted on that a few times. At a time of Worthington E, Double Diamond and Red Barrel this was like nectar.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Much as I agree Hall & Woodhouse have been awful it is a little unfair to blame King and Barnes for H&W. King and Barnes were in a dire financial position with the big brewers circling to buy them out they felt H&W was the better option to maintain some local integrity. The alternative would have been someone like Greene King or complete shutdown.
As someone said Bill now runs Firebird and does a Festive along with some other decent brews.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I would say that King and Barnes Festive was their ultimate beer... Got well ratted on that a few times. At a time of Worthington E, Double Diamond and Red Barrel this was like nectar.

Do you like Dark Stars Festival - brewed as a tribute apparently.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Little ceatures in Fremantle?

Yes they make very nice beers. I was there last year for a wedding (at their brewery) and sampled a few.

Won't have to travel that far now, they built a brewery and opened a pub in Kings Cross last year ; https://thewest.com.au/business/lit...spreads-wings-around-the-world-ng-b881192511z

Little+Creatures+Interior+-+Kings+Cross+London-0346.jpg

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Much as I agree Hall & Woodhouse have been awful it is a little unfair to blame King and Barnes for H&W. King and Barnes were in a dire financial position with the big brewers circling to buy them out they felt H&W was the better option to maintain some local integrity. The alternative would have been someone like Greene King or complete shutdown.
As someone said Bill now runs Firebird and does a Festive along with some other decent brews.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I have never liked Hall and Woodhouse beers. When I met Mrs V, her and her pals frequented the Park View which was one of their pubs, it really was difficult to find a decent beer from their range, usually it meant picking the least worst option which was bottles of Golden Champion.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Based upon observing the quantity of cans by the roadside, either Stella Artois is the biggest seller or many of the people that buy it are kunnts.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

You should hold your head in shame for blaming the King family. Before blaming someone, know the facts. There was no way Bill King would have sold out, he and the King family didn't have the controlling share of the company and had no option but to follow the "Barnes" financial side. Bill done what he thought best by selling to H & W.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
You should hold your head in shame for blaming the King family. Before blaming someone, know the facts. There was no way Bill King would have sold out, he and the King family didn't have the controlling share of the company and had no option but to follow the "Barnes" financial side. Bill done what he thought best by selling to H & W.

I'm amazed by this news, thought the Barnes family had long departed, what was their 'financial side'?

It was always my understanding that every member of the King family except Bill had lost interest in having a Brewery and Tied House Estate and were quite keen on getting their hands on the best part of 10 million quid.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I'm amazed by this news, thought the Barnes family had long departed, what was their 'financial side'?

It was always my understanding that every member of the King family except Bill had lost interest in having a Brewery and Tied House Estate and were quite keen on getting their hands on the best part of 10 million quid.

The Barnes family (though different name by marriage) were a sleeping partner but holding the key shares. That was how Bill explained it to me, maybe he was economical with the truth. He was never happy in the boardroom and preferred to be out in the brewhouse.

Coincidentally my senior manager now the head of Asahi Draught Technical Services, was in charge of the shutting down of the brewery as he was a director at H & W, he has said on a number of occasions how bad the state of the brewhouse was. I normally stick my fingers in my ears as I like to remember it as my favourite ale.

Sussex Best, better than any old ouse water

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
The Barnes family (though different name by marriage) were a sleeping partner but holding the key shares. That was how Bill explained it to me, maybe he was economical with the truth. He was never happy in the boardroom and preferred to be out in the brewhouse.

Coincidentally my senior manager now the head of Asahi Draught Technical Services, was in charge of the shutting down of the brewery as he was a director at H & W, he has said on a number of occasions how bad the state of the brewhouse was. I normally stick my fingers in my ears as I like to remember it as my favourite ale.

Sussex Best, better than any old ouse water

Will bow to your superior knowledge, not how it was explained to me back in the day. Hope we can both agree Hall and Woodhouse have been absolute ******** in the way they have treated the King & Barnes Brewery and Tied Estate (or building land portfolio as they would have it).

Oddly enough, just opened an ice cold bottle of St Austell's Proper Job...… really hitting the mark..... and this thread just got bounced !

Picked up a bottle at my local Waitrose yesterday, enjoying it now. Really rather nice.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Shureley that's a Boy's Brown Ale at 2.8 abv ?

I of course was joking and replying to someone...

I think you know me well enough to know that a beer that weak would never pass my lips,

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here