Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
Oh effing Nora, at least provide a link so us layman can have a rudimentary stab at interpreting your 'I know something you don't know' hints. Please.

Very decent of you, thanks :thumbsup:

12_384_mslp850.png.

12_384_preciptype.png.

There you go :thumbsup:.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Oh effing Nora, at least provide a link so us layman can have a rudimentary stab at interpreting your 'I know something you don't know' hints. Please.

Very decent of you, thanks :thumbsup:

Anything 16 days out is guesswork, don't let the smoke and mirrors & 1 specially selected pretty diagram out of 20 take you in!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
If Papa says there's a height plunge in Greenland then I'm IN.

Flex Your Head

Rightio, thank you. So, that looks to my untrained eye like a 'cold plunge' from Greenland(ish) enveloping the UK (and much of North Eastern Europe) and blocking the mild, damp air blowing in from the SW. Temps at 850 metres above seal level being around -5 which would equate to what in, say, Falmer? And whilst this looks encouraging, the graph / map was generated on the 30th Nov and is looking ahead to 16th Dec, so, in all probability, to be taken with a pinch of salt for now?
Is that a reasonable interpretation?

I'll take that for now and keep me fingers crossed - I'd rather see that than a chart showing yet more mild, wet, mid-teen temps weather.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
BBC forecast for next 10 days for Brighton

Today 13C then 12C 13C 13C 12C 14C 13C 12C 11C 12C, Wind SW every day, night time minimums between 8C and 12C

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Awful weather isn't it. Hate the way the BBC go on about how mild it is, as this is in any way a consolation for rain and howling gales every other day.

Oh for a clear, frosty, still winters day...

D

Deleted member 22389

Awful weather isn't it. Hate the way the BBC go on about how mild it is, as this is in any way a consolation for rain and howling gales every other day.

Oh for a clear, frosty, still winters day...

I'm fed up with this wind I know that. Weather doesn't know what it wants to do at the moment, cold and warm fighting against each other, we are stuck in the middle of it.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm fed up with this wind I know that. Weather doesn't know what it wants to do at the moment, cold and warm fighting against each other, we are stuck in the middle of it.

Depends where you are. Down here, we're still no the mild side, not in the middle. Some places (N Wales, SW England) could get some very large rainfall totals Thursday into Friday as the battle ground sits over them. It will move over us on Friday, so there is a potential for some sustained rain and wind for us then.

The weekend looks wild again - so don't expect a dry / calm day at the Amex.

D

Deleted member 22389

Depends where you are. Down here, we're still no the mild side, not in the middle. Some places (N Wales, SW England) could get some very large rainfall totals Thursday into Friday as the battle ground sits over them. It will move over us on Friday, so there is a potential for some sustained rain and wind for us then.

The weekend looks wild again - so don't expect a dry / calm day at the Amex.

Getting ready for another soaking then, good job I have good waterproofs for my bicycle. I got all the way back to Lewes last Saturday and got pelted with rain at the last minute.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I walked into work this morning in a short sleeve shirt with no coat. I would actually describe it as warm. 13C 55F minimum temperature last night, that is 5C above where the daytime maximum should be and warmer than many nights in July and August. No end in sight of this, at least 12-15C for another 2 weeks, south westerlies with wind and rain

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I walked into work this morning in a short sleeve shirt with no coat. I would actually describe it as warm. 13C 55F minimum temperature last night, that is 5C above where the daytime maximum should be and warmer than many nights in July and August. No end in sight of this, at least 12-15C for another 2 weeks, south westerlies with wind and rain

I feel your angst, however I am not sure whether that is an accurate interpretation of the current model outlook.

Accepting that we cannot be sure of any of the outcomes, whilst agreeing that in any conceivably accurate timescale the temps. do remain unseasonally high due to a long drawn south westerly, however beyond 10 days they do indicate (in FI granted) that there is a shift from the SWesterlie to a more northerly source.

We cannot possibly know what weather might be delivered from next week onwards, but nor can we claim two weeks of south westerlies unless you are using guesswork which might prove correct or not.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Met Office weather warning issued am, for high winds ONLY in Oxfordshire. Hope someone reminds the wind to speed up as it crosses the boundary and slow down after

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here