Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

larus

The trouble with the BBC is that they are so into global warming that if there is a mere hint of snow in the forecast their computers crash!

Yes, the 'global warming' where global temperatures haven't warmed for the past 18 years (according to the RSS data). Typical left-wing/green bias.

There's also claims that the fact that Antartic Sea Ice Extent is the LARGEST ever recorded is caused by global warming. And the recovery of Arctic Sea Ice has scuppered Al Gores claims of an Ice Free Arctic.

Huge, huge con.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Yes, the 'global warming' where global temperatures haven't warmed for the past 18 years (according to the RSS data). Typical left-wing/green bias.

There's also claims that the fact that Antartic Sea Ice Extent is the LARGEST ever recorded is caused by global warming. And the recovery of Arctic Sea Ice has scuppered Al Gores claims of an Ice Free Arctic.

Huge, huge con.

I've been skeptical on AGW in the past, but as each year that passes is continually in the top 10 warmest, year on year and Arctic Ice continues to hit historically low values in summer I'm pretty sure we're making a difference.

The decline in the Greenland ice sheet also poses a real threat to sea levels, and N Atlantic salinity, which itself could (still unlikely) weaken the Thermo Haline Conveyor, part which drives the Gulf Stream (amongst others).

Antarctica is different. Unlike the Arctic, which sits on sea water, the majority of the S Polar ice is on land. Antarctica is soooo cold that any warming won't bring the majority of the interior above freezing - but what is happening is the fringes are warming, which is accelerating the flow of ice off the land into the surrounding oceans. The increased extent is as a result of this faster flow - which of course isn't sustainable.

The idea that we've not risen in a number of years is at least partially down to people plotting global temps from 1998, which was a massive el Nino - see here for a good article on this

http://www.skepticalscience.com/global-warming-stopped-in-1998-intermediate.htm

Another key thing this article points out is that despite an apparent pause in air temps of late (still well above the long term average) we've stored huge amounts of heat in the oceans .

It's easy to ignore Human induced climate change, and hope it doesn't exist, or will go away. Sadly, many people won't be convinced until it's too late to respond.

I'd rather go with the majority scientific view that we ARE causing some warming and encourage people to make the necessary changes to try and mitigate it as much as we can (hard to do) as well as push forward with innovations to respond should things go badly in the future.

As I said I used to be skeptical, but despite some very vocal sceptics, there IS a consensus regarding the science, and we have been warming.

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
I've been skeptical on AGW in the past, but as each year that passes is continually in the top 10 warmest, year on year and Arctic Ice continues to hit historically low values in summer I'm pretty sure we're making a difference.

The decline in the Greenland ice sheet also poses a real threat to sea levels, and N Atlantic salinity, which itself could (still unlikely) weaken the Thermo Haline Conveyor, part which drives the Gulf Stream (amongst others).

Antarctica is different. Unlike the Arctic, which sits on sea water, the majority of the S Polar ice is on land. Antarctica is soooo cold that any warming won't bring the majority of the interior above freezing - but what is happening is the fringes are warming, which is accelerating the flow of ice off the land into the surrounding oceans. The increased extent is as a result of this faster flow - which of course isn't sustainable.

The idea that we've not risen in a number of years is at least partially down to people plotting global temps from 1998, which was a massive el Nino - see here for a good article on this

http://www.skepticalscience.com/global-warming-stopped-in-1998-intermediate.htm

Another key thing this article points out is that despite an apparent pause in air temps of late (still well above the long term average) we've stored huge amounts of heat in the oceans .

It's easy to ignore Human induced climate change, and hope it doesn't exist, or will go away. Sadly, many people won't be convinced until it's too late to respond.

I'd rather go with the majority scientific view that we ARE causing some warming and encourage people to make the necessary changes to try and mitigate it as much as we can (hard to do) as well as push forward with innovations to respond should things go badly in the future.

As I said I used to be skeptical, but despite some very vocal sceptics, there IS a consensus regarding the science, and we have been warming.

does this mean it's not going to snow tonight??? :moo:

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So we will see snow tonight but it's if it lays or not??

Well, a NE wind will be much colder here than the northerly.

so, when the precipitation is forecast (7am ish)

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/royaume-uni/precipitations-hd/18h.htm

We're forecast to all be below zero:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/royaume-uni/temperatures-2m-hd/18h.htm

Which does lead to this as a forecast of depth

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/royaume-uni/hauteur-neige/18h.htm

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Looking at various weather sites (BBC, Met Office and MetCheck) it is clear that none of them have a f*cking clue as they are all totally different !!

However, most are saying snow (of sorts) tomorrow morning though none agree on time. Metcheck say 5AM, Met Office saying 6AM with more at 10AM and the BBC say 10AM. So, who is right in simple terms and what kind of depth are we talking ? Need to plan for the morning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here