Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Just for fun

This is based upon the 6Z GFS - thought I'd capture these for posterity :)

It starts - Noon Friday
View attachment 38567

It continues and intensifies by 6pm Friday
View attachment 38568

By Midnight it's heavy for us all
View attachment 38569

6am Saturday shows it less intense for some, but still continuing
View attachment 38570

Noon Saturday - no let up really
View attachment 38571

loving the look of them Papa, and with only 48 hours to go until the "major event" commences the chances of it going pear shaped must be dwindling!! Bring it on

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
loving the look of them Papa, and with only 48 hours to go until the "major event" commences the chances of it going pear shaped must be dwindling!! Bring it on

I think we will know for sure when the 18z models roll out around 9:30pm this evening. Should be interesting!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Aye - we're in that nervous run up period... Let's hope this one doesn't go tits up.

Yoda

English & European
Just for fun

This is based upon the 6Z GFS - thought I'd capture these for posterity :)

It starts - Noon Friday
View attachment 38567

It continues and intensifies by 6pm Friday
View attachment 38568

By Midnight it's heavy for us all
View attachment 38569

6am Saturday shows it less intense for some, but still continuing
View attachment 38570

Noon Saturday - no let up really
View attachment 38571

Humanahumanahumanahumanahumanahumanahumanahumanahumanahumana!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Trains are (just about) running in Norfolk which has had a lot a snow in the last couple of days, so id expect services to run North of London - but its whether lessons have been learnt from 2010 down here.

St Andrews has undersoil heating (only installed in 2009) and id have thought covers would be on the pitch too. If it gets called off, it would be for safety reasons (Birmingham doesnt rely as much on transport so it wouldnt be off like that).

Would have been interesting if we were at home Saturday, id bet it would be off.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The award-winning official "More snow tomorrow?" thread [2012-13 season]

But what about Blackburn on TUESDAY??

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Papa what are your odds for Saturdays game being called off?

See [MENTION=23454]HawkTheSeagull[/MENTION]s post above... Some projections have a foot of snow for the Midlands by 3pm Saturday. That would be chaos...

As I posted before, this is the GFS ensemble for an area roughly in the Brum area.

Meteociel - Diagrammes GEFS

It's below freezing throughout, so pretty much guaranteed snow.

If I was to put a figure, I'd say 70% likely to be off, for any number of reasons...

Roads closed
Rail service disrupted
Street round ground dangerous
NOT pitch frozen

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
But what about Blackburn on TUESDAY??

Hhmm, very good point.

They will get this snow, then there's another system coming through Monday into Tuesday, which will possibly bring more snow to that area. Plus there are some very cold night time temps possible... look here

Do they have a heated pitch?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
They do Papa and so do Brum.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
See [MENTION=23454]HawkTheSeagull[/MENTION]s post above... Some projections have a foot of snow for the Midlands by 3pm Saturday. That would be chaos...

As I posted before, this is the GFS ensemble for an area roughly in the Brum area.

It's below freezing throughout, so pretty much guaranteed snow.

If I was to put a figure, I'd say 70% likely to be off, for any number of reasons...

Roads closed
Rail service disrupted
Street round ground dangerous
NOT pitch frozen

That's going to be the deciding factor I think. Easy enough to clear a football pitch of snow, not so easy to clear tens of square miles of it though....

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Blackburn have undersoil heating - but probably wont have covers on so it would melt and waterlog the pitch - again.

Might be a second postponement in a row !!

Imagine if that gets snowed off, and either Blackburn or ourselves draw in the 4th Round. That'll be 4 postponements out of 4:lolol:

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Imagine if that gets snowed off, and either Blackburn or ourselves draw in the 4th Round. That'll be 4 postponements out of 4:lolol:

We might end up playing twice at the end of the season.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
We might end up playing twice at the end of the season.

I still think a one off game in a neutral ground will do the trick. 90 minutes. 6 points. Winner takes all.

Flex Your Head

I'll try and give you a simple explanation:

The amount of water vapour that can be mixed with air (saturation point) varies with the temperature of the air.
If the temperature of the air falls (to below the dew point) the air will no longer be able to hold on to all of the water, so it will be forced to condense on any nearby surfaces, causing dew. If the dew point is higher than the current temperature then there is currently dew. If the temperature is below 0 degrees Celsius this turns into frost.
Note: The dew point can be below zero degrees, so a morning with a temperature of below 0 does not guarantee frost, it depends on the humidity too.

Hope this helps!

Great stuff; I think I've finally got it. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Now, back to crossing my fingers for the mother of all snow dumps!

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
The award-winning official "More snow tomorrow?" thread [2012-13 season]

Going by the silence coming from uncle S, this snow event must be nailed on then?

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Going by the silence coming from uncle S, this snow event must be nailed on then?

To be fair, he's probably biding his time until it either goes tits up, or when it melts, and will come back to say "I told you so".

Or he's panic buying salt, shovels and tobaggans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here