Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
There will be no snow or even cold weather before the 11th of December as temprerures will remain at least 2-3 degrees above seasonal norms
I spend most of my morning looking at weather for a Russian gas company trying to predict demand using many sources mainly WSI who pull together many forecasts and analyse each, no one is predicting cold weather before the 9th.

From what i've seen on the GFS, UKMO and ECMWF models you are pretty much spot on. With a few minor differences all models show a continuation of the current setup, with a semi permanent Euro high and a mobile (zonal) flow riding over the top. Therefore, unless you live in Scotland and at altitude there's really nothing to get excited about . What we desperately need is this high to move allowing low pressure to drive into central Europe, create a more buckled jet stream pattern (known as meridional flow) which then favours blocking synotics and a better chance of snow.

With the current setup and that forecast for the next 14 days any coldness will be fleeting as cold fronts pass by and will both be short lived and not likely to produce any snow this far south.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Papa - We're off to Chicago, St. Louis, Milwaukee and Green Bay for Christmas / New Year - what are te best sites for checking out possibility of snow there please?

For the US id probably stick with accuweather really they use the GFS data but they are ok at the reliable end of the forecast.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
No sign of snow down here in this morning 's model output.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Just in case you're interested the model output still shows pretty dire weather for snow lovers away from the Scottish mountains

Stu1

Sep 21, 2004
Leeds
Just in case you're interested the model output still shows pretty dire weather for snow lovers away from the Scottish mountains

Agreed some quite nice model consistency across Metra, ENS 32 day model although I think the 32 model has signalled cooling slightly earlier although not as cold as originally suggested

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Agreed some quite nice model consistency across Metra, ENS 32 day model although I think the 32 model has signalled cooling slightly earlier although not as cold as originally suggested

Yep. definitely a cooling trend towards average for the time of year, which will defo feel cold, but no signal for anything cold. as i said before we need pressure rises towards Scandinavia or Greenland for any prolonged cold, and that just isn't happening :-(

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Had 11" here in southern Maine on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. Had to retrieve the daughter from uni for Thanksgiving a day early. Mostly gone now, and back up over 50 tomorrow.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
There is a hint of something down.the line in the model output this morning with GFS and ECMWF going for the high pressure cell to move west wards ( termed retrogress) away from europe . This doesn't guarantee cold synoptics but it does allow a greater opportunity later on.

Sweden is still quite warm and even sunny, albeit with some ice in the puddles first thing.
Some cold spells predicted, but inordinately mild especially for this time of year.

They had the last two as extremely cold winters - so far this isn't looking like happening this year so far, though we are bound to get snow at some point.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Despite my guarded hint at something 'better' a couple of days ago, it's as you were across the major forecast models... little sign of things changing. Perhaps we might get some high pressure over the UKI (I'd say about 25% likelihood) but generally it's as we are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here