Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Award-winning official "More Snow Tomorrow?" Thread [2023-24 Season]

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Still seems very cold, cold enough to snow in fact! Any updates on the next couple of weeks?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
_50335932_snowsat.jpg

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I thought i'd pop in and say that a number of the models are showing a further cold spell developing in the run up to xmas, with first a cold easterly and then a deep cold north to northeasterly.. Defo one to keep an eye on.

If you have access to the output, ecmwf is a corker tonight (12z run today).

Papa

philsussex

Dec 9, 2006
Good Old Sussex By the Sea
I thought i'd pop in and say that a number of the models are showing a further cold spell developing in the run up to xmas, with first a cold easterly and then a deep cold north to northeasterly.. Defo one to keep an eye on.

Papa

What does that mean for the chances of more snow Papa?

Yoda

English & European

Papa

18z GFS run is showing a similar thing. Could we end up with a White Christmas down here?

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
18z GFS run is showing a similar thing. Could we end up with a White Christmas down here?

I've not seen this morning's output, but the general pattern seems pretty likely to deliver another cold spell relatively soon. If the ECM i saw yesterday came off many places would have a white xmas, mostly near the East Coast though.

As we've discussed this before it's hard to forecast snow even at a few day's range, so the key is the pattern rather than any specific details.

All very interesting though, if you like snow, and cold.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I've not seen this morning's output, but the general pattern seems pretty likely to deliver another cold spell relatively soon. If the ECM i saw yesterday came off many places would have a white xmas, mostly near the East Coast though.

As we've discussed this before it's hard to forecast snow even at a few day's range, so the key is the pattern rather than any specific details.

All very interesting though, if you like snow, and cold.

please let this be true!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Just seen a BBC forecast....yeah pinch of salt.

Arctic winds from Thur , their pic of the snow was in and around the sussex for Friday . Early to tell but must be in with a chance.

If game on then it's going to be bitter cold

Jan 19, 2009
Worthing
My ex is a teacher, and apparently schools in Worthing have been warned about possible closures due to snow at the end of the week.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Can't help but think the Minnesota Vikings might need to postpone their next home match

[yt]X_uscBJn0p0[/yt]

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
nah, their home game was last night and has been rearranged for tonight to be played at ford field (free entry if there are any detroit bha fans on here?!) that roof has failed three times in the past under the snow . they reckon they will have it fixed for this weekends fixtures.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Latest Met Office outlook is interesting:

UK Outlook for Saturday 18 Dec 2010 to Monday 27 Dec 2010:

Further snow showers, heavy at times, are likely in most places over the weekend, with some potentially significant accumulations. Southern and southwestern parts of the UK look to be particularly at risk. It may also be windy at times. During the following week, the unsettled and wintry conditions are expected to continue with further snowfall mainly in the north, and rain more likely in southern parts. From Friday (24th), it is expected to remain unsettled with snow showers most likely to continue in the north of the UK. Temperatures, while being generally cold, may become less cold and even nearer normal in the south and west. However, it will still be cold enough for overnight frost and ice.

the model output is slowly edging towards pushing the milder air further south, making it more likely that the precipitation that falls down here is snow, rather than cold rain. Thursday to the weekend is certainly worth keeping a close eye on.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Just looking at netweather for the Longleat area from Friday (as we are going to Centre Parcs) and it looks bloody cold in that area with snow forecast through to Sunday. Less liklihood in Worthing though. I guess still too far away to really know though, but Netweather was spot on with their longer view forecast last time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here