* * * The Ashes - Official Thread * * *

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stumpy Tim

What a truly magnificent performance by the lads. So many players played well at crucial times, it is no point in picking individuals because all of them (even Colly with his catch of Ponting) produced at some point.

Let's not forget Colly getting Hussey out in the first innings in Sydney. He is a real loss, and I don't think that's understood right now. He's our best fielder, gets runs and gets the odd wicket. To be honest, I think he retired early

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Let's not forget Colly getting Hussey out in the first innings in Sydney. He is a real loss, and I don't think that's understood right now. He's our best fielder, gets runs and gets the odd wicket. To be honest, I think he retired early

Very true. A lovely way to go out knowing your last ball in test cricket got the best batsman of your fierciest foes out.

I agree I wished he didn't retire because if he has a good batting World Cup which he might, all of a sudden he will think why have I given up playing test cricket and he brings to the test side much much more to his game than just his batting (the best fielder and a useful 5th bowler).

I do think though that at his age and with his ability at one day cricket, there is the lure of the Big IPL contract (and other shortened versions of the game franchises) which I am sure played a big part in his decision to give up in test cricket.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Chappers is right, this is fanciful. It didn't matter because there was no pressure. If he failed, so what?

He was playing for his place, there was plenty of pressure on him. There was no pressure on Siddle as he's a bowler but it was Smith's chance to show that he was a test player - that's a lot of pressure, I reckon. There's no parallel with Russell, Jack's main job wasn't to score runs - if he scored 0 or 50, he was still keeper, but Smith really had to prove his worth.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
He was playing for his place, there was plenty of pressure on him. There was no pressure on Siddle as he's a bowler but it was Smith's chance to show that he was a test player - that's a lot of pressure, I reckon. There's no parallel with Russell, Jack's main job wasn't to score runs - if he scored 0 or 50, he was still keeper, but Smith really had to prove his worth.

All I can say is I hope he has played himself into the side for a long time to come. :laugh:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
All I can say is I hope he has played himself into the side for a long time to come. :laugh:

I wouldn't get too cocky about it, there's some raw talent there - coupled with some dreadful shot selection. I reckon that he's got something, as long as he's not at no 6.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

BRILLIANT :clap:

This is my favourite line (out of many):

England are in serious strife if they lose any of their first XI. There's a vast gulf between their top-tier players and those on the standby list. Australia can only hope and pray that off-spinner Monty Panesar is called in for Graeme Swann. Australia have eight Test-standard speedsters in the queue.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I wouldn't get too cocky about it, there's some raw talent there - coupled with some dreadful shot selection. I reckon that he's got something, as long as he's not at no 6.

OK, so Australia have themselves a potential number 7 batsman (with some dreadful shot selection) and an occasional slow bowler with series figures of 31-3-138-0. Hurrah!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
OK, so Australia have themselves a potential number 7 batsman (with some dreadful shot selection) and an occasional slow bowler with series figures of 31-3-138-0. Hurrah!

Yeah, but he can learn to cut out the silly shots.

The reason I'm so hesitant to damn a player so young is that I remember 20-odd years ago that Australia played a young all-rounder who had plenty of promise but kept getting out, but the selectors stuck with Steve Waugh anyway.

I remember jokes about him in those early days as he scored just two 50s in his first ten games and took him four years to get a ton but we weren't laughing for too long.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
So...

We're top of the league

The Amex is nearly finished

England totally and utterly took the Aussies apart and won the Ashes IN AUSTRALIA

What next? Cameron Diaz is going to walk in and say: "Hi Mart, fancy a shag?"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports