Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Ashes- England v Australia- 2nd Test, Lords, June 28 - July 02, 2023

Ashes- 2nd Test- The result ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I think those pointing at the Bairstow/Labuschagne incident, and trying to find some sort of equivalence are completely missing the point. The Aussies were recently caught cheating in the most unbelievably blatant way - using sandpaper to rough up the ball. Difficult to imagine any worse form of cheating, tbh. They then had a massive review, and decided they needed to completely change their cricketing culture. But what we find is that, when the chips are down, they revert to type. Carey's stumping wasn't in the same league as sandpapergate, but it was 100% not in the spirit of the game. One might have hoped that Smith and Warner - architects of the use of sandpaper, and apparently reformed characters - might have persuaded Cummins to withdraw the appeal. But it doesn't seem to have crossed their minds. Both are excellent cricketers, and Smith one of the world's best batsmen....but his ethics really stink. I very much hope he continues to be booed every time he gores out to bat.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Forgetting the rights and wrongs of Carey’s actions, it may have been a strategic failure by the Australians as there isn’t that much between the two sides and England will really have the bit between their teeth now. Also it’s fair to say the Headingly crowd (me included on day 1-please don’t rain!) will be even more hostile than usual.

Game bloody on.
Give ‘em hell Mackenzie !

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023
My last comment on what happened, i once took a left handed guard (right handed bat) it almost caused a problem, if that had been a lge game for me it would of either caused walk off call the bat back or a punch up

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
My last comment on what happened, i once took a left handed guard (right handed bat) it almost caused a problem, if that had been a lge game for me it would of either caused walk off call the bat back or a punch up
Punch up yesterday would have been good. I’d have fancied Stokes and Bairstow against that lot any day of the week!

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
What difference does it make he still got a big nick. All those supporters that were praising Broad for not walking then are now saying that was ok but Bairstow stumping wasnt. Bairstow threw ball at stumps in last test match because batsmen was out of his ground which was why Corey did it
Apart from when none left Thank fully reviews have mostly stopped batsmen cheating.
Reviews have not stopped batsman cheating and not walking. I hate people who stand their ground but it is something virtually everyone does. To say Broad should walk because it was a bit Nick suggests there is a line where it is okay not to walk. Do you see allowing the umpire to make a decision the same as doing a Carey? I don’t. It would be like us appealing for a wicket when an Aussie batsman picks the ball up without asking.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Fair enough, I hadn't spotted the fact it went to the keeper. I am, however, struggling to believe that Broad didn't know he'd hit it. That was a significant edge, not some tiny nick that was barely audible. Sorry, it was poor.
Of course it was. But I have spent many hours coaching cricket and doing slip catches. You can feel an edge no matter how fine.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Sandpiper, bowling underarm and now this….
What a bunch they are really.
And claiming grounded catches (Smith and Starc in this game)

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
He's behind you!

Tony at Lords.jpg

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Punch up yesterday would have been good. I’d have fancied Stokes and Bairstow against that lot any day of the week!
They both have form

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Reviews have not stopped batsman cheating and not walking. I hate people who stand their ground but it is something virtually everyone does. To say Broad should walk because it was a bit Nick suggests there is a line where it is okay not to walk. Do you see allowing the umpire to make a decision the same as doing a Carey? I don’t. It would be like us appealing for a wicket when an Aussie batsman picks the ball up without asking.
Reviews have made a difference because snickometer shows these up. The fact is if you are out you are out. Just because many dont walk doesnt make this cheat more acceptable. The more I read this thread many are against anything opposition does but find justification in anything we do.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Of course it was. But I have spent many hours coaching cricket and doing slip catches. You can feel an edge no matter how fine.
I'd say that's true most of the time. I'm reminded of a Tavare style innings I played when I was 13 to the point I think my parents wanted me out.

The fielding team went up for a catch behind that wasn't given. I stood my ground. When I came off my parents said they'd heard the edge from the boundary. I had honestly heard and felt nothing off the bat and I'm not convinced the umpire was paying attention. I was being accused of cheating, which was unfair.

It can happen. But most of the time you knew. I always walked.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Reviews have made a difference because snickometer shows these up. The fact is if you are out you are out. Just because many dont walk doesnt make this cheat more acceptable. The more I read this thread many are against anything opposition does but find justification in anything we do.
You could probably count the number of current international batters who consistently walk on one hand.
If you consider that cheating (and to be clear, there's nothing in the rules to say anybody has to walk if they think they've hit it) you might as well not bother with the whole game.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
You could probably count the number of current international batters who consistently walk on one hand.
If you consider that cheating (and to be clear, there's nothing in the rules to say anybody has to walk if they think they've hit it) you might as well not bother with the whole game.
I’d say that could hurt your wrist - however luckily the Aussie cricketers do have quite strong wrists from regular use….

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Brian Lara always walked but I rather liked Michael Athertons’ view on the subject. He reckoned he had had more bad decisions against him than for so why should he do the Umpires job for him. Had a point.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Brian Lara always walked but I rather liked Michael Athertons’ view on the subject. He reckoned he had had more bad decisions against him than for so why should he do the Umpires job for him. Had a point.
Yes - but Lara was usually tired by then, after scoring 200 or whatever; so basically wanted to walk off for a rest.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Yes - but Lara was usually tired by then, after scoring 200 or whatever; so basically wanted to walk off for a rest.
I was in Antigua to see him score his 400. Didn’t he feather edge one to the keeper on 0 but there were no reviews in those days? I might not have remembered the circumstances there exactly but it was something like that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here