Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] The Ashes- England v Australia- 2nd Test, Lords, June 28 - July 02, 2023

Ashes- 2nd Test- The result ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It all gets a little intense from here. There are only four days between this and Leeds.

Over 800 replies to the last thread, much enjoyment of the cricket in general, much grumbling about personnel and approach at key moments.

So it all starts again Wednesday. Time to get pre-match thoughts in, time to get the beers in, time to tell them how it's done.

I went for a tight Australia win last time, alas, the neutral in me says they will win again. England just seem to be lacking that final component against a very under-rated touring side. Some may argue that the component was common sense in the last Test.

Hope to be comprehensively proved wrong as England shine.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Be really interesting to see England's bowling attack in this Test. Leach was badly missed in the first test, because he could tie down one end and contain the opposition. No-one could do that at Edgbaston, let alone Mooen, even an unimpeded one.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Be really interesting to see England's bowling attack in this Test. Leach was badly missed in the first test, because he could tie down one end and contain the opposition. No-one could do that at Edgbaston, let alone Mooen, even an unimpeded one.
With Leach out for the series we definitely have to rethink. Mooen is an attacking spinner rather than an end container. And his spin finger’s f***ed.

Maybe just get Robinson to bowl even slower for half his spell, double his overs bowled, halve his average and shut up the likes of Hayden and Clarke who can’t read bowling stats properly

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Aussies to win , they have a great record at Lords ,
England are missing at least one real quick strike bowler , all of ours are injured,
so we will struggle to get the 20 wickets required to win the match ,
land no stupid declarations would help

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If Ahmed plays instead of Moeen, the Aussies will definitely target him, Simon Kerrigan style. Although the signs are that Moeen should play.

I was interested to see Derek Pringle say what I said last week and that England should consider Sophie Ecclestone. It would certainly be a radical move

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
If you look back at international teams playing at Lords, because it's Lords [the home of cricket - honours board, etc.] often the opponents find a way to raise their game , play out of their skins, whereas for England and, worse for any Middlesex player, it's just another home game - no big deal ...

Aus to win convincingly with two of Warner, Labuschagne & Smith getting tons ...

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If you look back at international teams playing at Lords, because it's Lords [the home of cricket - honours board, etc.] often the opponents find a way to raise their game , play out of their skins, whereas for England and, worse for any Middlesex player, it's just another home game - no big deal ...

Aus to win convincingly with two of Warner, Labuschagne & Smith getting tons ...
I think the Lords thing is a bit of a myth, England had a bad record there against the Aussies, but that was broken in 2009. England then thumped them in 2013, were tonked in 2015 and got a winning draw last time out.

A quick look at Lords since 2000:

P- 46 W-22 D-12 L-12

Not the best ground, but not a real thorn either.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
We generally played well and lost, Australia weren’t quite at their best and won.

Not a good omen, Australia to win more convincingly this time.
Thats about how I feel.
The first Test was our real chance and they were definitely underpar. We blew it. We had real control at times and let it slip through loose play. Ultimately, the Aussies held their nerve and played the more solid cricket. This series feels like 1-3 to them coming up but I fear that defeat at Lords and it could end up 0-4.
Really hope I am wrong and that Bazball succeeds against the very best. I remain sceptical.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Before voting can I check if we're voting on the actual match result or the McCallum's Vibes Result as we won the last test on that?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Is Stokes going to be able to bowl a a bit more? If not we need to call up another bowler (Wood) and sacrifice a bat.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I fear we may struggle get them out twice, they might not need to get us out twice, the weather looks mixed.

I'll settle for a draw with Warner getting out for fewer than 5 in each innings.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
England have to play Woakes IMHO. His record at Lord’s is insane.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Before voting can I check if we're voting on the actual match result or the McCallum's Vibes Result as we won the last test on that?
Does your strap line 'Big heart, hot blood and balls, big balls' only apply to football?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here