[Cricket] The Ashes- England v Australia- 2nd Test, Lords, June 28 - July 02, 2023

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashes- 2nd Test- The result ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
f*** the spirit of the game, play to the rules instead. That's what they are there for.

Surely it should be taught at a young age to wait for the umpire to call the end of the over. A bit like 'play to the whistle' in football .

Now we are all shocked that the Aussies place winning above the 'spirit of the game'.

I say this as someone who knows sweet FA about cricket and has probably lived in Aus for too long. Feel free to burn me at the stake.

As an aside, where does all the sledging and shit on the field sit within the 'spirit of the game?'

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
So that's the way they want to play it eh? In the next test let's threaten to ' Mankad ' their non striker at least twice an over irrespective of whether there's any suggestion of them trying to pinch a yard.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
f*** the spirit of the game, play to the rules instead. That's what they are there for.

Surely it should be taught at a young age to wait for the umpire to call the end of the over. A bit like 'play to the whistle' in football .

Now we are all shocked that the Aussies place winning above the 'spirit of the game'.

I say this as someone who knows sweet FA about cricket and has probably lived in Aus for too long. Feel free to burn me at the stake.

As an aside, where does all the sledging and shit on the field sit within the 'spirit of the game?'
How many times during this series has a batsman picked up the ball and chucked to a fielder without asking for permission? Each of those could also be out.

The reason people don’t expect the Aussies to act like this is that since sandpaper cheating they didn’t just say they will operate within the law but they feel cricket must be played in the spirit. I guess they only mean that is for other people.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

There's playing the game hard but fair, and there's just being a shit.
The Australians are always the quickest to moan about "not crossing the line" and the "spirit of the game" the moment anything goes against them. Funnily enough nothing they do themselves is ever on the wrong side of that line.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
So that's the way they want to play it eh? In the next test let's threaten to ' Mankad ' their non striker at least twice an over irrespective of whether there's any suggestion of them trying to pinch a yard.
Shouldn't we just assume that is the way they want to play it and not given them the space to do so. This is still the sandpaper team, surely we know they'll do what they can to get and advantage?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
How many times during this series has a batsman picked up the ball and chucked to a fielder without asking for permission? Each of those could also be out.

The reason people don’t expect the Aussies to act like this is that since sandpaper cheating they didn’t just say they will operate within the law but they feel cricket must be played in the spirit. I guess they only mean that is for other people.

Yeah fair enough, I live amongst the buggers and didn't believe that for a second 🤣.

No way did they suddenly place fair play and spirit of the game above winning. Just not part of the culture of Australian cricket.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
There's playing the game hard but fair, and there's just being a shit.
The Australians are always the quickest to moan about "not crossing the line" and the "spirit of the game" the moment anything goes against them. Funnily enough nothing they do themselves is ever on the wrong side of that line.
Yep, so why hand them a wicket on a silver platter for the sake of waiting for the umpire to call.

You know what they are like, I know what they are like (and I don't even like cricket - Its hard to escape cricket over here. Everyone knows the culture of winning at all costs in Australian cricket). The players know what they are like so surely the answer is to be bloody careful?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Yep, so why hand them a wicket on a silver platter for the sake of waiting for the umpire to call.

You know what they are like, I know what they are like (and I don't even like cricket - Its hard to escape cricket over here. Everyone knows the culture of winning at all costs in Australian cricket). The players know what they are like so surely the answer is to be bloody careful?
It's not inconsistent for me to think Bairstow was at fault for leaving his crease, and to think that Carey is a snide little shit (with remarkably little faith in his team's bowlers) for jumping to that as a way of getting somebody out.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It's not inconsistent for me to think Bairstow was at fault for leaving his crease, and to think that Carey is a snide little shit (with remarkably little faith in his team's bowlers) for jumping to that as a way of getting somebody out.
No, I would absolutely agree with this. The very fact that the Aussie team is full of snide little shits who will do anything within the rules (ahem) to win is exactly why Bairstow and the rest of the team need to be more careful.

Akker

Sep 9, 2020
Happens at least 5-6 times every innings at every level of cricket, every single weekend.

You don't see it in Test Matches because generally batsman aren't braindead.

Only person to blame is Bairstow, that ball was absolutely not dead.

You ALWAYS wait for the umpire to call over. Not only that, it wasn't as if Carey waited, it was an instantaneous run out attempt.

If Baristow wasn't aware of the ball, that's his problem.

Akker

Sep 9, 2020
Like virtually everyone else, i'm not arguing it's anything but out or that Bairstow should know better (as well as a separate argument that he is England's most unlikeable player by a margin). My issue is

1. There was a wailing and nashing of teeth around sand paper gate.The guy who played Joe Mangel was on TMS and he stopped watching for a year due to his disgust. Aussies were up in arms, players were banned and crying on the telly sobbing how sorry they were. Today just showed leopards don't change their spots or that they even seem remotely bothered by it. Today was a great opportunity for them to show the world things had changed. Instead they did what comes naturally to them. A perfect illustration of how Fosters comes from there.

2. It's a further erosion of the spirit of the game along with Mankads and everything else. Someone, somewhere will be out next weekend as some talentless, bell cheese 5th team keeper does what he's seem Carey doing

Lastly, we lost this test because we batted like village cricketers on Day 2 and I've more of a issue with Bairstow keeping like one. If he'd have tried the same thing I'd wager he'd have missed the stumps.

He did try the same thing and missed, 2 days ago.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Not really the same though is it? That's not the batsman leaving his crease thinking it's the end of an over?
No. If a batter's been stood outside their crease while facing the bowler (an entirely normal thing to do) and doesn't get back inside their crease, they will get stumped.
This is all part of the Australians' adorable need to be validated as playing cricket the right way in all circumstances.
If there was nothing unusual in the dismissal, there wouldn't be any need to trawl through the match footage to find examples of other people doing the same thing.
Still, just to be clear, Bairstow really does need to be more careful in future.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Not really the same though is it? That's not the batsman leaving his crease thinking it's the end of an over?
I agree with this.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
No. If a batter's been stood outside their crease while facing the bowler (an entirely normal thing to do) and doesn't get back inside their crease, they will get stumped.
This is all part of the Australians' adorable need to be validated as playing cricket the right way in all circumstances.
If there was nothing unusual in the dismissal, there wouldn't be any need to trawl through the match footage to find examples of other people doing the same thing.
Still, just to be clear, Bairstow really does need to be more careful in future.

Speaking of which my Aussie brother in law has just posted about England doing a similar thing to Grandholme last year. I can't find any footage of it to see if it is the same or not.

Let's agree on Bairstow needs to be more careful and the Aussies are cheating bastards :lolol:.

Definitely, a sentiment I can get behind.

Akker

Sep 9, 2020
Speaking of which my Aussie brother in law has just posted about England doing a similar thing to Grandholme last year. I can't find any footage of it to see if it is the same or not.

Let's agree on Bairstow needs to be more careful and the Aussies are cheating bastards :lolol:.

Definitely, a sentiment I can get behind.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
help me out here, what is wrong with that one. The guy just wasn't in his crease properly was he?
Absolutely nothing wrong with it. He had set off looking for a run and was ran out as he didn't return to his crease in time.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Absolutely nothing wrong with it. He had set off looking for a run and was ran out as he didn't return to his crease in time.

Yet many people seem to be saying it was not in the 'spirit of the game' in the same way as Baistow.

Surely this is why we have rules instead of relying on the 'spirit of the game'?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yet many people seem to be saying it was not in the 'spirit of the game' in the same way as Baistow.

Surely this is why we have rules instead of relying on the 'spirit of the game'?
Seems like this is because it happened during an appeal for LBW (not something that comes across on the video very well). I guess if we are talking spirit of the game this could be seen as similar to the end of an over thing.

As you so wisely say though Badfish this is why we have rules.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports