Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Apology

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
I think you can trace the origin of all these VAR farces back to the failed European super league.
The FA has told the 'Big Six' that if they stay in the PL they will be guaranteed European football every season.
When a plucky little upstart like B&HA/ Brentford/ Fulham threaten to break into the european places then they will be slapped down by the FA's officials.
Obviously Chelsea have really fecked it up this season but luckily for the FA, Saudi FC have bought their way into contention instead.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
After seeing a lot of referee mistakes, I might start liking the idea of playoff. I mean, I feel playoff can make the influence of referee mistakes smaller in the end.

1st to 3rd clubs = straight Champions League

4th to 7th clubs = playoff for Champions League or Europa League.
Nah, that would be worse. What if your club earnt 4th over an entire season, finishing 20 points above 7th, and then dodgy ref decisions in playoffs awarded the CL spot to them instead?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Suggest that 3 guys sit in on VAR, in 3 separate locations, and all 3 have to make the same decision for VAR to rule, any difference of opinion sends the on pitch ref to the monitor.
This way the on pitch ref knows that at least one colleague disagrees with him, maybe 2, but not all 3, so should be swayed less to change his decision by peer pressure, and make a fair judgement, and if all 3 VAR agree, we should get the right decision.
Suggest that all conversations between match officials are recorded, and recordings be available for clubs where decisions seem to be at odds with reality.
I've heard worse ideas.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
At some point a club has to go public and say it has lost confidence in VAR and that it should be put in a cupboard somewhere for a bit whilst the grown ups figure how to use it properly.

I don't blame VAR for yesterday, I blame the official using it. He can be blamed, and should be fired. The problem without VAR is that they can get decisions like the Mitoma penalty wrong and you can't really complain, because it wasn't easy to see live. And then you'd get more bad decisions in favour of the big clubs with no come-back.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If PGMOL are accepting responsibility for not awarding yesterday's penalty (1 point dropped) having already admitted culpability for the Palace debacle (2 points), not sure re the Villa one but we lost the game by the odd goal, so could have got a draw (1 point) and we miss out on a level of european qualification by 4 points, can we sue them?

No.

I'm sure there is some convoluted legalese somewhere that stops us, but it doesn't seem right that an organisation can f*ck up this badly so often and not face some form of ramifications.

Firstly I'd like apologies for the other mistakes, not just the one. And the people making the mistakes should be punished in accordance with not doing their job properly. That's pretty much all we can expect.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
They should also be apologising for Mitoma's disallowed goal. It clearly was not handball according to the laws of the game.

7dialssouthpaw

Sep 10, 2022
This is true - but I believe Chelsea have been set adrift this year. They were never really part of the Club. Neither are Man. C nor Newcastle btw. Our fight now is with Villa for seventh. Liverpool will overtake us both. It is written.
I think you can trace the origin of all these VAR farces back to the failed European super league.
The FA has told the 'Big Six' that if they stay in the PL they will be guaranteed European football every season.
When a plucky little upstart like B&HA/ Brentford/ Fulham threaten to break into the european places then they will be slapped down by the FA's officials.
Obviously Chelsea have really fecked it up this season but luckily for the FA, Saudi FC have bought their way into contention instead.hey

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
There needs to be some ACTUAL repercussions.

- financial? clubs financially compensated when poor decisions cost them points
- actual? replay fixtures in extreme cases
- referees held accountable? mandatory post match interviews - promotion/relegations/sacking of poor performing refs

The problem is it gets unworkable really quickly. For me PGMOL should be dipping into their pockets to make up any prize money missed out on due to incorrect decisions costing points.

It wouldn’t make up for missing out on Europe though, and how do you calculate the cost/compensation for that. Each club has different attendances and travelling support, you can’t confidently predict how far we/they would get.

I absolutely want to see bad refs demoted and good refs promoted. I don’t even know if that happens consistently and transparently.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Apologies if this has been said but we should be pushing/asking/demanding/taking legal action to ask for the game to be replayed or financial compensation.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Obviously Chelsea have really fecked it up this season but luckily for the FA, Saudi FC have bought their way into contention instead.
I'd say the increase in 'odd' officiating started when Leicester won the title.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Good conspiracy but I suspect we will find it is bollocks.

Do referees have secret meetings with the Big Six?

Who are the Big Six, anyway?

ManUre
Citeh
Liverpoo
Arse
Spuds
Chelusa

Whatabout* Newcastle, the richest club in the world?

How will the conspiracy elevate basket case Chelusa?

*And let's not forget Massive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here