Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Apology

Mt.Fuji

Jan 5, 2023
After seeing a lot of referee mistakes, I might start liking the idea of playoff. I mean, I feel playoff can make the influence of referee mistakes smaller in the end.

1st to 3rd clubs = straight Champions League

4th to 7th clubs = playoff for Champions League or Europa League.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Suggest that 3 guys sit in on VAR, in 3 separate locations, and all 3 have to make the same decision for VAR to rule, any difference of opinion sends the on pitch ref to the monitor.
This way the on pitch ref knows that at least one colleague disagrees with him, maybe 2, but not all 3, so should be swayed less to change his decision by peer pressure, and make a fair judgement, and if all 3 VAR agree, we should get the right decision.
Suggest that all conversations between match officials are recorded, and recordings be available for clubs where decisions seem to be at odds with reality.
I was going to suggest something similar. At least two. If they can't agree, on field decision stands.

Also make the assignments random and decided on match day so there is no possibility of them being influenced before the game.

And record the conversations for later analysis.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I was going to suggest something similar. At least two. If they can't agree, on field decision stands.

Also make the assignments random and decided on match day so there is no possibility of them being influenced before the game.

And record the conversations for later analysis.
Difficult to not let the VAR ref know he is taking the early or late KO, or the only KO on a Friday. Otherwise, I like the idea.

Two stonewall penalties and a goal incorrectly disallowed.
That idiot doing var must be blind
It came off McAllisters hip not his arm
It’s becoming a joke happening to Brighton nearly every week

The above was message from my Wolves supporting mate no rose tinted Albion glasses on.
I also add the other goal disallowed too

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Given the amount of so-called errors, yesterday, I can only think of two possible explanations:
The first is possible corruption (and the poll seems to suggest that many think that it's likely...although hard to prove), and the second is that it was the most incompetent officiating (even with the tools at their disposal) seen in any PL match....ever (so far!).
Assuming that the first option is not accepted, surely it has to be the second, in which case, will they be dismissed from their job? If not, why not?

Since VAR came in, it does seem that it is trying to stop goals being scored, rather than checking if the goals were 'legal'.

Has a goal been ruled out onfield but given by VAR? It probably has but I can't immediately think of one.
Yes there was a live game recently when the lino stuck up his flag but VAR checked it and it was onside. Can't remember which teams it was because there's no great controversy when it happens as nobody rages about it. Might have been Fulham, one of those middling teams anyway

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Anyone else have a sinking feeling that the powers at be would prefer a Man city/ Man Utd f a cup final for all their overseas fans to wank themselves silly to?

what chances of a goal or two been chalked off by VAR two weeks today?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I'm hoping we get a more detailed response addressing all the contentious decisions after the bank holiday because that 'apology' is a disgrace.

E1BBN2

Mar 29, 2023
is there a trophy for winning the apololeague?
We must be a few points clear at this point

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Anyone else have a sinking feeling that the powers at be would prefer a Man city/ Man Utd f a cup final for all their overseas fans to wank themselves silly to?

We'll be fine if we score six, instead of just the three yesterday.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Oh bless them - no need for an apology but that’s so sweet and thoughtful. 5 or 6 mistakes happen a game - it’s football - not your fault you little scamps. Third apology - so kind. Now let’s get on with our next trip to a big 6 club - I cannot wait for it x x x

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011

That is a possibility. Clubs in the PL are individual businesses but the PL is the business of the FA. Does make you wonder.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
wrong thread

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here