Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Apology

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Paul Barber on TalkSport

Made their points / feelings known to PGMOL and Webb personally.

Moving on, can’t change the result.

Didn’t want to go into details as private between both parties but appreciates how Webb handled it and communicated.

Frustrated and angry but need to move on as cannot dwell on things or look back or consume time / energy with big games coming up
As others have said, this is a miss step by Mr Barber. It's not a private matter and even if he thinks it is, it's between three parties, the club, the PGMOL and the fans (especially the ones who paid to go). And the most important of the three parties is the fans and not the club or the PGMOL. Lets hope the club/ Barber reads this and communicates properly on this.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I mean one ref has lost a weeks income completely, the other significantly reduced.

Would those on here making mistakes at work accept losing chunks of pay or would they be screaming for their unions?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Putting Atwell on VAR next weekend is a middle finger from them?

I fully expect the club to do everything in a considered and correct way though. Far too professional to react like me

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Me? I’d fully expect the sack for such incompetence
Like Lee Mason and one or 2 others have in the past ?

I get the point but standing down referees and them losing chunks of pay is fairly significant

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I mean one ref has lost a weeks income completely, the other significantly reduced.

Would those on here making mistakes at work accept losing chunks of pay or would they be screaming for their unions?
If I screwed up at my job that badly even *once* - never mind 5+ times in 90 minutes - I'd not only get the sack, I'd probably never be able to work in my industry again.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Like Lee Mason and one or 2 others have in the past ?

I get the point but standing down referees and them losing chunks of pay is fairly significant
Yep and like Masi in F1, that’s how it should be. When you are that high profile, MASSIVE cock ups deserve the sack imo.

What’s happened? One has been rewarded by a very high profile game in the Championship two days later and the other given a game on VAR a week later. It is a piss take

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

If I made 5 massive, avoidable errors in the space of two hours in a working day I'd expect some form of repercussion, yes.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Is De Zerbi refusing to be interviewed by Talksport? They keep hoping to go to him but he’s not there :lolol:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
As others have said, this is a miss step by Mr Barber. It's not a private matter and even if he thinks it is, it's between three parties, the club, the PGMOL and the fans (especially the ones who paid to go). And the most important of the three parties is the fans and not the club or the PGMOL. Lets hope the club/ Barber reads this and communicates properly on this.
Well yes, the message seems to be "suck it up". But it could be "suck it up for a few days or weeks, there's a another announcement coming". But I hold little hope.

The authorities know time is on their side. There will be more games, UCL will be on, other football discussions and the conversation will move on.

Football will successfully close ranks again.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Is De Zerbi refusing to be interviewed by Talksport? They keep hoping to go to him but he’s not there :lolol:
RDZ can't really say much can he. He's walking the finest of disciplinary tightropes.

It's the club who need to be coming out and giving voice to the opinion of the fans. I've just been speaking to a bloke in my office, normally as mild mannered as they come, never seen him so angry. I reckon that's pretty a representative response. I'd like the club to be voicing and representing these views

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
...I've just been speaking to a bloke in my office, normally as mild mannered as they come, never seen him so angry. I reckon that's pretty a representative response. I'd like the club to be voicing and representing these views

I'm not angry anymore - well, maybe a little bit, but I'm more despondent. What's the point in the sport if this is going to keep happening to us over and over and over again? The "it all evens out over a season" argument doesn't wash anymore, if it ever did - we'd have to win over half our remaining matches with the help of very obviously dodgy match-deciding decisions to "even out" the "errors" from Saturday, let alone the whole season.

I live in a country where I can see every single Premier League game via a subscription, so I'm subscribed. I usually watch *loads* of games just because I can, but I haven't been able to bring myself to watch any of it since the end of our game on Saturday. If my football mojo doesn't come back quick, I might as well cancel that subscription, as I can't see myself getting my money's worth out of it this season.

If I'm feeling this way, after a lifetime of following football, I certainly couldn't begrudge any of our newer overseas fans or younger home fans from giving up. I think back to a former boss's son who lost *all* interest in football after Lampard's wrongly disallowed goal against Germany in the World Cup, and wonder how many we and the Premier League in general lost on Saturday.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I’d have sent someone home after the first two as they’re obviously having a bad day
As an employee I think after two my professional pride would kick in and I'd stick to "monitoring emails" for the rest of the day or similar such low level activities!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
SSN:
"Stuart Attwell will be the VAR for Wolves against Brentford despite his involvement in the controversial decision not to award Brighton a penalty when Mitoma was fouled"

It's such a joke that SSN are only capable of looking at the one incident that there's been an apology for, and not all of the other mistakes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here