"The Amex is not efficient"

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
That's the construction £ per seat argument, as lego St.Mary's, Darlington, Derby etc.

Thankfully for us, Knight/TB, and the international panel of architects wanted style.

Not really an argument that stacks up either when you consider that those other grounds were built on nice flat bits of earth... and the Amex is cut in to the side of a hill!

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
As a neutral I will give my 2 penneth worth.

Amex, very nice looking stadium from the outside and I like the way its cut into the downs, concourse good, nice food and local beer, London pride for us, but being from Sussex the Harvey’s was good as well!!,

Inside, TBH it is a bit weird looking and looked unfinished in September as indeed it was!

But the biggest downfall is getting out, what a fxxking nightmare, luckily although rivals we don’t really go around trying to kill each other…yes a few yobs were throwing rocks at a mix of fans standing on the bridge but somehow it did not kick off, but IMHO it is a accident waiting to happen, play local derbies Saturday morning FFS!!

St Marys..nice view from inside the ground not too bad leaving...but just a tad boring, the sort of barrets home of Football stadia!!

But nothing can beat the smell of the toilets mingeling with burgers, wooden seats,pillers, and the rattle of corrigrated iron in the wind, at the home of football.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Perhaps he is hacked off at finishing second again....Always the bridesmaid....never the bride.

Don't worry about that - they will just airbrush history AGAIN and in a years time you will be hearing that they went up as champions :tosser: :tosser:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007

Amex, very nice looking stadium from the outside and I like the way its cut into the downs, concourse good, nice food and local beer, London pride for us, but being from Sussex the Harvey’s was good as well!!,

Inside, TBH it is a bit weird looking and looked unfinished in September as indeed it was!

But the biggest downfall is getting out, what a fxxking nightmare, luckily although rivals we don’t really go around trying to kill each other…yes a few yobs were throwing rocks at a mix of fans standing on the bridge but somehow it did not kick off, but IMHO it is a accident waiting to happen, play local derbies Saturday morning FFS!!

St Marys..nice view from inside the ground not too bad leaving...but just a tad boring, the sort of barrets home of Football stadia!!

But nothing can beat the smell of the toilets mingeling with burgers, wooden seats,pillers, and the rattle of corrigrated iron in the wind, at the home of football.

Good post.

Sadly we couldn't build the stadium anywhere else and we can't add to local parking availability because of where it is...............no matter what we do to make it work it's always going to go against us and away fans will suffer more than us because they will never be truly prepared for our unique matchday experience.

Totally agree about playing local derbies on a Saturday with an early kick off - makes total sense. Not so sure of your assertion that there will be trouble between fans "one day" - there are still a few hooligans about (we have our share of fans of violence on here) but I really do hope those days are gone and we can treat people like people and not like animals. I would like to think that was consigned to the 80's.

As for your last sentence..............................................

.................... it took me straight back to the Goldstone and put a big smile (with a hint of a wince) on my face :lol:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Palace fan I assume?

For what it's worth, generally it's no problem at all getting out of the Amex, and those complaining are those who expect 20,000 people to be shifted in the same time as 7.000 at Withdean. It took me ages to get on to a train at Selhurst Park, partly because of the grim and tiny exit from the stadium, but also because the station is fifteen minutes walk away and the police were trying to keep all the Albion fans together.

Take off the fifteen minutes that you spend walking to the station at most other grounds, along with the platform queues at the likes of West Ham, Charlton and Millwall (and Palace) and there really isn't a lot of difference in overall departure times. In most cases, it's absolutely fine, and people tend to have a bit of a sheep mentality (they've heard fans of other clubs moaning so they latch on to that, looking for the problem rather than just carrying on as normal).

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
So I'm talking about how The Amex beat this stadium we're watching to the "Best New Sporting Venue" award...

Saints fan (of course) provides plenty of amazing quotes:

"haha, who was the judge? Stevie Wonder?"

"it's an awful use of space"

"It's really not efficient"

"St Mary's is much better, as we have more seats with no tiers"

I mean, I thought he might have been joking, but he is not...I just don't get it

He is correct there is a tremendous amount of wasted space at the new Falmer stadium,the new east upper is tiny as are the stands behind the goals.Not moaning after the withdean it`s a palace, but it has been poorly designed with regards utilizing available space for maximum seating capacity.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He is correct there is a tremendous amount of wasted space at the new Falmer stadium,the new east upper is tiny as are the stands behind the goals.Not moaning after the withdean it`s a palace, but it has been poorly designed with regards utilizing available space for maximum seating capacity.

I'd say it's been designed exactly to the specification required, knowing that planning consent would never have been given for anything over and above about 32,000.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

But you know why it looked unfinished on the inside so that is a rather pointless statement?

I'd rather be getting in or out of the Amex than say Ashton Gate, Ricoh Stadium, Anfield for three examples, where you have to get buses or taxi's from the station to the stadiums. Bloody nightmare all of them! And you mingle with the home fans on the buses... no more a nightmare than waiting for a train at Falmer, where you also have the choice of going to Brighton or Lewes to continue your journey. Or maybe the Boleyn where again, you have to mingle with the home support whilst making your way to respective stations.

I don't think either argument stands up to be honest.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Amex roofs are supported by twin arch-beams, perhaps the most efficient structural form known to man, articulated in such a way so as to thrust all the forces through the reinforced concrete k9 bearing blocks straight into Brighton's own chalk. St Marys is a simply supported linear, nay boring, structure which could have been designed by a graduate.

Efficient point, efficiently made :thumbsup:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007

doesn't the space behind east upper accomodate the club offices?

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I ACTUALLY had a Saints fans tell me that SMS was brilliant as....wait for it this is brilliant...... IT HAD MORE TOILETS PER HEAD than any other stadium in the UK.

That really was his opinion no wind up no joke, he still gets people mocking him now even other Saints fans.

That is the problem it is so soulless you can tell it was cheap and designed by Ikea to 'do a job'.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I ACTUALLY had a Saints fans tell me that SMS was brilliant as....wait for it this is brilliant...... IT HAD MORE TOILETS PER HEAD than any other stadium in the UK.

That really was his opinion no wind up no joke, he still gets people mocking him now even other Saints fans.

That is the problem it is so soulless you can tell it was cheap and designed by Ikea to 'do a job'.

That must be MLG :lol:

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
But you know why it looked unfinished on the inside so that is a rather pointless statement?

So it might be but its what a lot of fans of a few teams all said, I knew it was not finished but if you didnt know it did look a bit wierd..thats all ; )

I'd rather be getting in or out of the Amex than say Ashton Gate, Ricoh Stadium, Anfield for three examples, where you have to get buses or taxi's from the station to the stadiums. Bloody nightmare all of them! And you mingle with the home fans on the buses... no more a nightmare than waiting for a train at Falmer, where you also have the choice of going to Brighton or Lewes to continue your journey. Or maybe the Boleyn where again, you have to mingle with the home support whilst making your way to respective stations.

I have always found the Ricoh quite easy to get out of and have always got a coach to anfield, we parked in Lewis and got the train in that was fine, but on the way back we were queing for the best part of a hour to get the train back (and I was bursting for a piss so it seemed a lot longer!) It was the not moving that got to you...you could see the platform but not get to the bloody thing, a bit like sitting on the M25 on a Friday night, just frustrating.

I don't think either argument stands up to be honest.

Its not the worst complaint, and the Amex is a ground I will enjoy visiting next year.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Its not the worst complaint, and the Amex is a ground I will enjoy visiting next year.

No, I understand it wasn't the worst complaint and some whiners that support Brighton make far worse noise about our beautiful stadium. Which is why I only pointed out the two specific things. Oh and once the queue for the bus from the Ricoh finally gets round to letting you on, and you have to pay for it, the journey to the station, which at first they weren't going to, was around 25-30 mins, on top of the 20 mins or so queuing to get on the bus. As I said, really we are talking minutes in difference on time getting out.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Hopefully not as much as you enjoyed it last year :p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports