Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The albums thread - 2014

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Its okay. Its certainly a bit more interesting with the video than just listening to it.

I still can't imagine what mood, or setting I would be in, where I would think of this as something I'd wish to sit and listen to.

Driving late at night/in the dark is PHENOMENAL for electro with good bass. I also like to do a bit of sci fi writing (just a hobby) on the side and again this sort of dark atmospheric electro is perfecto for that.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Driving late at night/in the dark is PHENOMENAL for electro with good bass..

I think that would just send me to sleep.

In your late night driving scenario, I want one of two things:

1. Some thingto sing along to, to pep me up. Probably, but not exclusively, something with melodies, jangly guitars and a female vocal. St.Etienne / Veronica Falls / Tallulah Gosh / Heavenly / The School / Camera Obscura. As this is the 2014 Albums thread - Alvvays and Fear of Men

or

2. To embrace the dark - Murder Ballards or Floodland, or from 2014 - the Eels (Cautionary Tales..) which is going to be superb for this.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I think that would just send me to sleep.

In your late night driving scenario, I want one of two things:

1. Some thingto sing along to, to pep me up. Probably, but not exclusively, something with melodies, jangly guitars and a female vocal. St.Etienne / Veronica Falls / Tallulah Gosh / Heavenly / The School / Camera Obscura. As this is the 2014 Albums thread - Alvvays and Fear of Men

or

2. To embrace the dark - Murder Ballards or Floodland, or from 2014 - the Eels (Cautionary Tales..) which is going to be superb for this.

What you really need is Ithica 27 ϕ 9 by Mogwai. i have NEVER fallen asleep whilst listening to that. If you want Mogwai with jangly guitars, I'd recommend the original version of Tuner. Mogwai are a great night-time driving band. If you break down somewhere creepy though, I'd stick Tallulah Gosh back on sharpish though.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Apologies, I misread your post. Apropos the Temples album - the Rough Trade bonus remix CD is a corker too. Love it.

Am listening to the Temples album for the first time. Not quite sure what to make of it. SHC said that as I think 66-74 is the best period for music, then I'd get on with it. I can see where he's coming from, except it's more for the range that I like that period, whereas Temples sounds very west coast.
Have bought Temples, Alvvays, Hurray for the Riff Raff, Ty Segall, and something recommended by one of the Residents -- by Orlando Julius with the Heliocentrics, which is supposed to be an Afro-beat/jazz combo.
Have listened to Ty Segall, and think it's awesome, and will be featuring in my top ten for this year.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
PJ Harvey album definitely is up there. It's about as complete as a piece of work/art as you can get with some truly wonderful song-writing.

I love Let England Shake, but also thought that White Chalk was great (while acknowledging it's an acquired taste). Her back catalogue is exceptionally strong. Perhaps she deserves a poll thread to find out which is her best album.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm with you on number 9, number 8 I have time for if I'm in a frivolous mood. Number 6 depresses me as it reminds me of my life. Number 1 is pleasant, but I don't love it, but maybe should give another go. Re the others: Shellac and Swans are too difficult/too noisy for me. Have not heard number 4, so may give that a go, but may be too quiet for me. Clearly I can only deal with music that is neither noisy nor quiet, although, I've got to say that two of my favourite bands are Low and MBV. I know what I like, but I can't describe it. Thanks for the list BTW - I'll try out/revisit a couple of them.

Shellac and Swans too difficult and noisy, yet MBV are your favourites. I've gone off Low, and think their first few albums up to Things We Lost in the Fire were great, but haven't been too impressed with anything since.
You've been persistent in liking PP, so might give it a go; I'm also interested in TT. There are a fair few on delete's list that will be in my top ten too.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Ty Segall has numerous projects himself but part of the same scene are Thee Oh Sees, Sic Alps, White Fence, Mikal Cronin and I'm sure Spring Hall Convert can name some more. I have purchases from all these acts and none disappoint.

I have just listened to Thee Oh Sees, White Fence and Mikal Cronin. All sound great, so this thread is costing me money again...or perhaps my Christmas list is growing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have just listened to Thee Oh Sees, White Fence and Mikal Cronin. All sound great, so this thread is costing me money again...or perhaps my Christmas list is growing.

Ha ha. Same happened to me when I started digging into this particular scene some time ago.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Couldn't agree more. I think it's his best album, and there's some strong competition in his back catalogue.

Saw him at the GDS and he was simply amazing. Real visceral energy and entertainment. I don't know his recorded output -- but know he's prolific -- but would be interested if you could provide me with a guide through it. In case you didn't know, he had a session on Marc Riley last week, which was brilliant.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Very keen to see them live at Drill. A couple of friends saw them at GDS earlier on this year, and said they were awesome. Will you be wearing your Albion scarf at that one?

I've just listened to it. Certainly interesting and there's a lot going on.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Saw him at the GDS and he was simply amazing. Real visceral energy and entertainment. I don't know his recorded output -- but know he's prolific -- but would be interested if you could provide me with a guide through it. In case you didn't know, he had a session on Marc Riley last week, which was brilliant.

I would love to see him live. He never seems to come to the UK for long, and when he does he doesn't venture south of a London.

I'm not an expert on his output, I have five of his solo albums and last year's, I think, Fuzz album.

The first time I became aware of him was hearing 'Thank God For The Sinners' very loud at a party. Brilliant song, and the opening track on Twins - the first album of his I bought. This is a brilliant album - a real garage production, psychedelic tinges, and his sneery vocal style.

I then bought Melted, which is also an excellent album - love listening to it at the gym(!) and Goodbye Bread, which seems a little, shall we say, calmer.

Lemons arrived this week, and I've not given it much of a listen yet. Not as immediate, for me, hopefully it'll grow.

The Fuzz album is very rock guitar orientated, but still has that Californian psych tinge.

Manipulator is absolutely brilliant, though some people don't like the fact that production levels have increased. I can't get past the fact that I love the tunes.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

When did you see him there (Green Door)? Have I missed out again? Like I have with Neneh, and annoyingly, Echo & The Bunnymen, who I forgot to buy tickets for...

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I would love to see him live. He never seems to come to the UK for long, and when he does he doesn't venture south of a London.

I'm not an expert on his output, I have five of his solo albums and last year's, I think, Fuzz album.

The first time I became aware of him was hearing 'Thank God For The Sinners' very loud at a party. Brilliant song, and the opening track on Twins - the first album of his I bought. This is a brilliant album - a real garage production, psychedelic tinges, and his sneery vocal style.

I then bought Melted, which is also an excellent album - love listening to it at the gym(!) and Goodbye Bread, which seems a little, shall we say, calmer.

Lemons arrived this week, and I've not given it much of a listen yet. Not as immediate, for me, hopefully it'll grow.

The Fuzz album is very rock guitar orientated, but still has that Californian psych tinge.

Manipulator is absolutely brilliant, though some people don't like the fact that production levels have increased. I can't get past the fact that I love the tunes.

Thank you for this. Two things:
1, see him live: when he played at the GDS, he spent a fair bit of time holding on to the ceiling, ie he hit the roof
2, there's a phrase about the 4ps -- punk, pop, psychedelia and prog -- and it seems to sum up a lot of the more exciting music these days. I'm not so sure if it was invoked with him in mind, but it's certainly been applied to him. I'd go along with the first three, but not so sure that three minute songs and prog go together.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
When did you see him there (Green Door)? Have I missed out again? Like I have with Neneh, and annoyingly, Echo & The Bunnymen, who I forgot to buy tickets for...

Think it was summer 2013. I got roped in by my neighbour, and was very pleased to, and allowed him to deplete my malt collection later on. I'm so gutted bout those Neneh Cherry tickets too. I adore her new album, an the prospect of seeing her at a venue like that is so enticing. Anyone got a spare ticket or two?
One last thing: I've only heard it twice now, but that fifth track on Manipulator is delightful.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Think it was summer 2013. I got roped in by my neighbour, and was very pleased to, and allowed him to deplete my malt collection later on. I'm so gutted bout those Neneh Cherry tickets too. I adore her new album, an the prospect of seeing her at a venue like that is so enticing. Anyone got a spare ticket or two?
One last thing: I've only heard it twice now, but that fifth track on Manipulator is delightful.

I must have been away. Damn.

Track five is great, but just sits in there amongst other really excellent tunes. The album has a feel of one-ness, sort of like one long track - amazingly there are 17...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here