The albums thread - 2014

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
You're not having a disagreement with me - I like Temples' album. I was solely referring to both bands live. RB have a FAR wider range of dynamics, light and shade etc live than Temples did. RB demanded that people pay attention, if they'd stayed at 11 (arf arf) all set then people would've gotten bored. When Temples came on a lot of people just started chatting amongst themselves, going to the bar etc. I don't mean that as a dig, just how it was. I like Temples but there was no dynamism live whatsoever, the entire set was at 7.

Apologies, I misread your post. Apropos the Temples album - the Rough Trade bonus remix CD is a corker too. Love it.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I have listened to about 150 albums this year and have heard of only one of those albums.

:shrug:

From the FACT list?

It's of the decade so far (as we are pretty much half way through) rather than this year. FACT tend to go for the obscure on these lists, you should check out their 70's, 80's and 90's lists for some wonderful undiscovered gems.

My list is also a decade to date one.

We love a list.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
From the FACT list?

It's of the decade so far (as we are pretty much half way through) rather than this year. FACT tend to go for the obscure on these lists, you should check out their 70's, 80's and 90's lists for some wonderful undiscovered gems.

My list is also a decade to date one.

We love a list.

Oooooh decade, okay- never mind me!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
FYI this is my top 10 for the year in reverse order.

10. Shellac - Dude Incredible
9. Perfect Pussy - Say Yes to Love
8. Todd Terje - It's Album Time

7. Caribou - Our Love
6. Ought - More Than any Other Day
5. Aphex Twin - Spyro
4. Mirel Wagner - When the Cellar Children See the Light of Day
3. Sun Kil Moon - Benji
2. Swans - To Be Kind
1. Angel Olsen - Burn Your Fire for No Witness

I'm with you on number 9, number 8 I have time for if I'm in a frivolous mood. Number 6 depresses me as it reminds me of my life. Number 1 is pleasant, but I don't love it, but maybe should give another go. Re the others: Shellac and Swans are too difficult/too noisy for me. Have not heard number 4, so may give that a go, but may be too quiet for me. Clearly I can only deal with music that is neither noisy nor quiet, although, I've got to say that two of my favourite bands are Low and MBV. I know what I like, but I can't describe it. Thanks for the list BTW - I'll try out/revisit a couple of them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

7. Caribou - Our Love
5. Aphex Twin - Spyro
3. Sun Kil Moon - Benji
2. Swans - To Be Kind

Only heard (and both are purchases) Todd Terje and Caribou from that list. I'm going to give Swans a listen as a few people have mentioned I might like them but to date I do not believe I've heard a single tune.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
HT - your obviously an electronic music fan - listen to the new Aphex Twin album!

tinycowboy - the Mirel Wagner album but be a bit quiet, its delicate but there are lots of nice hooks. Your okay with Perfect Pussy but find Swans/Shellac too heavy? Maybe it's just that Swans and Shellac can be a bit overindulgent whilst PP are just raw energetic noise.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

7. Caribou - Our Love
5. Aphex Twin - Spyro
3. Sun Kil Moon - Benji
2. Swans - To Be Kind

The ones I've heard:

Number 8: I like a lot. I like his sense of humour and even the sexy, slow cover of Johnny and Mary with Bryan Ferry that shouldn't work because as a concept it sounds too cheesy actually sounds mighty fine.

Number 7: 'sokay but apart from one or two tunes it doesn't do it for me. Doesn't help that it sounds like Terence Trent D'Arby's second album in parts.

Number 5: Not my bag. My attraction to experimental electronica is rapidly on the wane.

Number 4: Yes, much more like it. I like this a lot. Sort of Murder Ballads-ish.

Number 3: Yep, great collection of tunes. Each one exceptionally good but together greater than the sum of their parts.

Number 2: Couldn't get into this. It's the type of post-rock that doesn't do it for me.

Number 1: Great choice. Lovely album although there's one or two other female singer/songwriters who've released albums this year that I've preferred.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
If you worried about tickets selling out I'm not sure you should be I'm waiting until I get paid next week but all the bands playing over that weekend are fairly niche what's the event capacity based on? The size of the venus in total?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
If you worried about tickets selling out I'm not sure you should be I'm waiting until I get paid next week but all the bands playing over that weekend are fairly niche what's the event capacity based on? The size of the venus in total?

I'm in the same boat and am still harbouring slim hopes of a guestie.

I'm led to believe it hasn't sold well. I could well believe it, 3 weeks before Christmas and no real "headline" act.

Really looking forward to it and am really glad to see so many decent local acts playing (though they seem to have ignored the Faux Discx/ Riots Not Diets lot - typical One Inch Badge.) One of my moans about The Great Escape is it doesn't provide enough of a showcase for our local talent.

Any idea when the timings will be out?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Still lost in a world of dark synth pop

Thomas Azier - Hylas - the most straight up pop record on this list, sounds a fair bit like early Depeche mode

[yt]2sFp2hN_XXc[/yt]

---

Trust - Joyland (also his first album TRST is superb, takes all the horrible sounds of 90s house/techno and repurposes them in SUCH a good way)

[yt]kuRuh4PRB-4[/yt]

---

Baths - Obsidian - What Thom Yorke's solo stuff should sound like. Gorgeous mix of organise and electronic sounds. Intensely personal album.

[yt]eRc4yi_iOSM[/yt]

---

iamamiwhoami - blue - still waiting for this to turn up, but all the singles with their videos continuing to tell some bizarre Scandinavian story have been great. A halfway house between The Knife and....hmm...Sia?

[yt]SJxXYHQIF40[/yt]

---

i break horses - Saw them support Sigur Ros last year, solid and very now in the Beach House vein - small band, electro with shoegaze influences, unrealistically fashionable and attractive lead singer. Good stuff.

[yt]BWmYpjWHT8E[/yt]

---

Kan Wakan - a bit of a break from electro, but a really hard band to pin down. Think Adele meets The Lion King Soundtrack meets AIR meets Radiohead meets old fashioned big band cinematic theme songs.

PLEASE give this song a go, it's an epic. Saw them at The Great Escape 2014 on recommendation and they made a huge sound live.

[yt]I27kmmpiJl0[/yt]

Last edited:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'm in the same boat and am still harbouring slim hopes of a guestie.

I'm led to believe it hasn't sold well. I could well believe it, 3 weeks before Christmas and no real "headline" act.

Really looking forward to it and am really glad to see so many decent local acts playing (though they seem to have ignored the Faux Discx/ Riots Not Diets lot - typical One Inch Badge.) One of my moans about The Great Escape is it doesn't provide enough of a showcase for our local talent.

Any idea when the timings will be out?
No but the key one will obviously be Swans/Wire and at what time to get to the venue prior to guarantee entry, I'm assuming this event wont have the same problem that TGE had with delegates.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
iamamiwhoami - blue - still waiting for this to turn up, but all the singles with their videos continuing to tell some bizarre Scandinavian story have been great. A halfway house between The Knife and....hmm...Sia?

I listened to it for the first time the other day. Its not all that, imo. A bit CHVRCHES tbh.

(And I really don't like chvrches)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I listened to it for the first time the other day. Its not all that, imo. A bit CHVRCHES tbh.

(And I really don't like chvrches)

Diff'rent strokes, eh? I can't get enough of it. Also a CHVRCHES fan, though I think there's much more melodic depth to iamami... whereas CHVRCHES are a bit more what you see is what you get.

This song, for example, I think is utter wonky genius.

[yt]LEoGQU_k78k[/yt]

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Diff'rent strokes, eh? I can't get enough of it. Also a CHVRCHES fan, though I think there's much more melodic depth to iamami... whereas CHVRCHES are a bit more what you see is what you get.

This song, for example, I think is utter wonky genius.

[yt]LEoGQU_k78k[/yt]

Its okay. Its certainly a bit more interesting with the video than just listening to it.

I still can't imagine what mood, or setting I would be in, where I would think of this as something I'd wish to sit and listen to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports