The albums thread - 2014

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I'd definitely advise giving it another go. Honestly one of my favourite albums. It's the jazzy elements to it that I enjoy the most. Being a bass player as well I really pick out music with cracking bass lines and CEG have those in abundance!

OK - I'll give it another spin.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Alt-J have new album out soon I believe, and a track is currently playing on BBC 6Music with the line, 'I want to turn you inside out, and eat you like a crisp packet...' :eek:

How long before it is banned I wonder ???

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I'm rather liking this at the moment from a 7 inch called Demo, Spanish all girl group channelling garage rock and 60s girl groups in what seems an amateurish and ramshackle way with production values of about £3.50. And who can argue with a singer who wants you to rub her legs?

[yt]mk-5w3Di0jk[/yt]

other track is also good

[yt]fFX7Sr-yqIs[/yt]

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
So relieved the Interpol album isn't crap. I've finally got comfortable with the fact they'll never release another TOTBL.

My copy is still in its wrapping. Mainly due to the fact I have been playing, and enjoying Avi Buffalo to death.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'll be submitting an erudite and perceptive review (2 sentences max) of this next week. Not bothering with Interpol though - they've come and gone.

I never really understood the fuss about Interpol. Each to their own.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Their first album is one of the best of the 2000's, one I have played possibly more than any other bar In Rainbows and it still sounds as good as ever. That being said it took me a while to fully appreciate so it might be worth revisiting it unless it's not a sound you particularly enjoy.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Alt-J have new album out soon I believe, and a track is currently playing on BBC 6Music with the line, 'I want to turn you inside out, and eat you like a crisp packet...' :eek:

How long before it is banned I wonder ???

You could stream it in Resident, not sure if you still can, but I did.

Massive new album coming out tomorrow, Catfish and The Bottlemen's debut album is released tomorrow. Already have had a sold out UK tour, onto their second one which is all sold out apart from in Brighton where they're playing at the Concorde 2. Should be a class album, and they're a quality act!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Twerps - Underlay: after two listens, I felt a little underwhelmed. However, this is a grower - good quality songs, no frills, doesn't leap out of the speakers, but has its moments, even a Wedding Present type ending to one of the songs (can't remember which one, sorry). It's gentle indie pop, but not bubble gum style - more like Tunic or The Clean. The Go-Betweens is a bit of a push, but I'll put it in there. Worth checking out - kind of 7.5 out of ten. One of the vocalists is a bit too twee at times (he only sings one or two songs though).

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Guided By Voices "Cool Planet"

all in all it's an average GBV album which means it is magnificent

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'll be submitting an erudite and perceptive review (2 sentences max) of this next week. Not bothering with Interpol though - they've come and gone.

Blasphemy. Turn On The Bright Lights is the best album of the last 15 years. It's got the most incredible, incredible atmosphere. Only Funeral by AF comes even vaguely close for me.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Anyone digging FKA Twigs? Intriguing album.

More than a bit of Fever Ray to it if anyone enjoyed her record, similar sense of space to The XX, something a bit trip hoppy about it at times.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Blasphemy. Turn On The Bright Lights is the best album of the last 15 years. It's got the most incredible, incredible atmosphere. Only Funeral by AF comes even vaguely close for me.

Interesting. TOTBL will always be one of my favourite records, it has special place in my heart. However, perhaps a bit of devils advocate here- we're about the same age I reckon, was it a case of right place, right time?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports